Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

When Buono says the Situation in BC is Bad, it's Disastrous - Thanks to Guess Who

Wally's recent comment that "I didn't come back to coach to put myself through this misery. I came back because I felt the franchise needed to be stable." has much more to do with the instability created by Braley's ownership than with the player personnel on the field. It all sounds depressingly familiar to Argo fans. That's why I posted on the Double Blue website.

Somehow, their football issues seem almost trivial compared to their off-field dilemma where owner David Braley is, theoretically, trying to sell the team in what is likely Buono’s last year on the job. And did we mention the Lions are in need of a new president? ...
    “This is miserable,” [Buono] said. “You think I’m having fun? You think I need the money? Come on. I don’t need any of this.” ... "Believe me, I know (about the problems) more than anybody. I’m the only one here. We have no president and David (Braley) has a lot of things he’s dealing with. He’s trusting me.”
    But, while revealing, Buono’s angst isn’t really the issue. Looking forward, the Lions can’t begin to address their difficulties until the team is sold, a new president is appointed and Buono’s successor is named. You have to admit, solving all that is a little more complicated than finding a new field corner or free safety, so where do things sit now with the sale of the team? ...
    Braley has told CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie — more intrigue, the league has taken a great interest in the Lions’ file — there are three separate entities interested in buying the Lions and all are legitimate. Now, we can’t provide details on two of the parties, other than to report the interest of Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini has waned, but we can tell you the third is a group made up of The Waterboys, the support network established by the late, great Bob Ackles, and they satisfy a lot of the criteria Braley set down for the new owners. ...

The Waterboys group — which is headed by car magnate Moray Keith and insurance man Mark Woodall — has already made several pitches to the Hamilton-based industrialist and presented scenarios where he maintains an interest in the team or is bought out all together.
    But their efforts have yet to result in anything concrete, and that raises questions. Part of the problem is likely over the perceived value of the franchise.
    One source said if Braley would have gotten $20 million for the Lions, the deal would likely be concluded by now. ...

That leaves one other explanation, and it’s disturbing. There’s some thought that, despite his public statements, Braley won’t sell the team. Instead, he’ll hang on and try to talk Buono into another year, and that would spell disaster for the Lions. The 2017 season has been bad enough but you can imagine going through it again; a year with a lame-duck GM and head coach, a year when the business-side is under-funded; a year when there’s no clear direction for the future. Another year of that would leave wounds from which the franchise might never recover. Braley has always said his concern is about the health and well-being of the Lions.
    Now it’s time to prove it.
    http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...miserable-year

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Though this will likey be moved to the CFL sub-forum, it's really too bad that things have deteriorated so much.

Too bad to hear the Canucks interest has waned but if the owner isn't motivated or is not asking for a realistic price-point they can only stick around for so long.

It's mirroring the final few years under his stewardship of the Argos. No vested ownership, no president and the football ops in limbo. The only difference is they're not getting evited from their stadium so no need for a new home.

If this isn't sold by the end of the year, to what extent the league gets involved?

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Though this will likey be moved to the CFL sub-forum, it's really too bad that things have deteriorated so much.

Too bad to hear the Canucks interest has waned but if the owner isn't motivated or is not asking for a realistic price-point they can only stick around for so long.

It's mirroring the final few years under his stewardship of the Argos. No vested ownership, no president and the football ops in limbo. The only difference is they're not getting evited from their stadium so no need for a new home.

If this isn't sold by the end of the year, to what extent the league gets involved?
    I think the League will get involved after GC. Braley has had a great run but he is not the owner that will take this team forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The CFL needs to rid itself of Braley, should have happened a long time ago IMO. If the rumour is true that the Aquillini's are losing interest, it's not looking good in BC, Aqullini's and Sidoo would be huge for that team IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Naylor's take on the non-sale to date.

http://www.tsn.ca/braley-doesn-t-exp...-year-1.887505

Braley says the 2 concussion lawsuits are holding up the sale.

TSN's legal analyst Eric Macramalla says the lawsuits are a factor but pose minimal risk to new owners.

Just more of me thinks the below is the bigger issue.

It is believed the Waterboys group is willing to pay in the $14 million to $15 million range, while Braley is believed be seeking about $20 million, according to sources
    Sadly, the longer this drags out, the lower the want and willing prices will appears to be

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A part of me thinks it's good that Braley wants good value for the Lions, but it's pretty evident that the Lions are losing ground in the Greater Vancouver area. Not that the Canucks are even as strong as they once were or that the Whitecaps are extremely strong (looks like they're fudging the attendance numbers), but it's clear that the Canucks are still "the team" in the lower mainland, the whitecaps have gained a much greater popularity since joing the MLS, and the Seahawks fanbase has exploded in BC for some reason. Something is wrong here though, as it seems the Lions are going downhill as oppsed to up or even stabilizing.

I think Braley has to be careful here. It would suck to lose the Aquilini and Sidoo's interest, or even "the waterboys" for that matter IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Naylor's take on the non-sale to date.

http://www.tsn.ca/braley-doesn-t-exp...-year-1.887505

Braley says the 2 concussion lawsuits are holding up the sale.

TSN's legal analyst Eric Macramalla says the lawsuits are a factor but pose minimal risk to new owners.

Just more of me thinks the below is the bigger issue.

It is believed the Waterboys group is willing to pay in the $14 million to $15 million range, while Braley is believed be seeking about $20 million, according to sources

Sadly, the longer this drags out, the lower the want and willing prices will appears to be
    if Braley has been offered 14-15 million he should take the money and run before things completely fall apart.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Farhan Lalji reported during the Edmonton-BC broadcast that Braley is now saying that the sale of the Lions may not happen this calendar year due to "complicating factors", leaving the Lions future further up in the air.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Farhan Lalji reported during the Edmonton-BC broadcast that Braley is now saying that the sale of the Lions may not happen this calendar year due to "complicating factors", leaving the Lions future further up in the air.
    Weren't there "complicating factors" in getting the Argo sale completed?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Weren't there "complicating factors" in getting the Argo sale completed?
    Yeah. He overvalued the franchise. That was the complication and I'm betting the same thing is happening in B.C.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Yeah. He overvalued the franchise. That was the complication and I'm betting the same thing is happening in B.C.
    And yet some still blame Rogers for the Argos purchase. Admittedly Rogers did slow it down a bit early on, but Braley always seems to have excuses for why he doesn't sell right away. While I appreciate Braley taking over the Lions, the sooner he's out of the League, the better IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No question Rogers made it difficult by both evicting them from their current home and the lease to BMO had to go through them as well. In BC's case there is no issue with the stadium.

But yes, Braley has been getting in his own way on both fronts. He said recently that the concussion lawsuits are holding up the sale. They've been going on for over 2 years and the one with Arland Bruce should be resolved before the end of the year. Question I have is, why is Braley bringing this up now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No question Rogers made it difficult by both evicting them from their current home and the lease to BMO had to go through them as well. In BC's case there is no issue with the stadium.

But yes, Braley has been getting in his own way on both fronts. He said recently that the concussion lawsuits are holding up the sale. They've been going on for over 2 years and the one with Arland Bruce should be resolved before the end of the year. Question I have is, why is Braley bringing this up now?
    My guess is that he's being asked about it a lot lately, so he needed an excuse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    And yet some still blame Rogers for the Argos purchase. Admittedly Rogers did slow it down a bit early on, but Braley always seems to have excuses for why he doesn't sell right away. While I appreciate Braley taking over the Lions, the sooner he's out of the League, the better IMO.
    That's how I feel too. I felt the same way when he owned the Argos.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That's how I feel too. I felt the same way when he owned the Argos.
    I respect the fact that Braley took over the Argos (even though the League could have, maybe they didn't want to ?), Ticats, and Lions, but he's been a terrible Owner for all 3 IMO. Ackles deserves full credit for saving the Lions IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I respect the fact that Braley took over the Argos (even though the League could have, maybe they didn't want to ?), Ticats, and Lions, but he's been a terrible Owner for all 3 IMO. Ackles deserves full credit for saving the Lions IMO.
    Agreed. Braley will leave the Lions in only slightly better shape than how he found them, assuming he does sell early enough in the off-season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is unfortunate as we learned as Argo fans but really if he was running a NHL team like this who would care other than the fans of that team. We are just too sensitive when it is a CFL team and it translates into bad news for the league we all love. I hope he moves on sooner rather than later. Running a professional sports team is very different than running a part business. I thought his health issues last year would have sped this up.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    This is unfortunate as we learned as Argo fans but really if he was running a NHL team like this who would care other than the fans of that team. We are just too sensitive when it is a CFL team and it translates into bad news for the league we all love. I hope he moves on sooner rather than later. Running a professional sports team is very different than running a part business. I thought his health issues last year would have sped this up.
    Lots of talk about Sens games looking empty the last season, playoffs and 10 games, Canucks have been brought up the last two years, and Montreal not selling out a couple of games ago was brought up as well. No Canadian NHL teams are currently up for sale, so not sure how the situation is the same.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Lots of talk about Sens games looking empty the last season, playoffs and 10 games, Canucks have been brought up the last two years, and Montreal not selling out a couple of games ago was brought up as well. No Canadian NHL teams are currently up for sale, so not sure how the situation is the same.
    Agreed it's not the same with the Canadian based NHL teams.

The closer compareble is Carolina IMO. Though Karmanos has never owned 2 teams at once, but the Hurricanes have been for sale for about 3 years. Karmanos is in his 70s and not the greatest of health, same as Braley. Part of the NHL executive committee (until earlier in the year) so has a long term tenue as an owenr, same as Braley.

Hurricanes attendance has been declining significantly, there's an interested prospective owner in Chuck Greenburg but Karmanos has valuated the team at 500 million (was asking for 400 million when it first started) and there is no owners wanting to pay what he wants. Greenburg is looking for investors to meet that price point.

Karmanos continues to be half comittal weather he'll sell or not while he continues to be an absentee owner and has even suggested that he'll raise the price if a sale doesn't close soon. Similar to Braley wanting more than anyone is willing to pay yet what the franchsie is really worth keeps declining.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Buono and even the players are starting to raise questions about the future of the team.

Buono has a contract to serve in his current dual capacity until Feb. 1 and as a consultant until August. Buono said he would like to know if he is needed but hasn't spoken to Braley about his future, and has no plans to do so until the Lions have completed their schedule.

That hasn't stopped calls for clarity, however, and Buono met with his team prior to their 35-29 overtime loss Saturday to the Edmonton Eskimos to answer concerns from players as to who might be in charge of their future. Some 24 players will be eligible for free agency in the off-season.
    http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/...ut-season.html