Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Jimmy Ralph

Despite getting very limited playing time, Jimmy Ralph has done a good job when he's on the field. I would like to see him out there more often in the future. The Toronto Star has an excellent article on Jimmy and his brothers, Brock and Brett, who both played in the CFL.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos...-business.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    He hasn't had limited playing time. Since Coombs went down, Ralph has played probably 90% of offensive snaps. He's not getting many looks from the QB, nor is Williams. On one play last game, a pass up the middle to Green was successful but it appeared Ralph had come wide open at about the same depth, further to the left. I like Ralph and I expect him to be around for a while, but he's nowhere near the player Coombs is at this point and he's gonna have to accept being targeted only a couple of times a game this year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    He hasn't had limited playing time. Since Coombs went down, Ralph has played probably 90% of offensive snaps. He's not getting many looks from the QB, nor is Williams. On one play last game, a pass up the middle to Green was successful but it appeared Ralph had come wide open at about the same depth, further to the left. I like Ralph and I expect him to be around for a while, but he's nowhere near the player Coombs is at this point and he's gonna have to accept being targeted only a couple of times a game this year.
    Sorry, but a CFL slotback nowdays who only gets targeted once or twice a game is a bit of a joke and IMO a waste in an offence; wide-side WR you could see that, but not good enough for a slotback.

Coombs was contributing after being targeted quite a bit; maybe Ralph runs poor routes or Ray and the offensive braintrust figures he has weak hands ? When Ralph gets targeted more or lots and drops passes galore or makes little to no YAC yards, I'll start believing he is "nowhere near the player" (receiver) that Coombs (a converted tailback) is.

Declan Cross has made me believe he is a very good CFL H-back (good hands and bruising runner with some quicks or moves - like his college ball tailback experience would have suggested) who can make plays in the offence - since he has been used (i.e. given chances) this season, and after a couple of glaring drops last season that did not look good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jeez, the kids a rookie. Rather then spend most of the year on the bench or maybe ST like a lot of other rooks, he's getting valuable, quality playing time/experience and is making plays when called on. I think they are bringing him along just fine. Good job Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sorry, but a CFL slotback nowdays who only gets targeted once or twice a game is a bit of a joke and IMO a waste in an offence; wide-side WR you could see that, but not good enough for a slotback.

Coombs was contributing after being targeted quite a bit; maybe Ralph runs poor routes or Ray and the offensive braintrust figures he has weak hands ? When Ralph gets targeted more or lots and drops passes galore or makes little to no YAC yards, I'll start believing he is "nowhere near the player" (receiver) that Coombs (a converted tailback) is.

Declan Cross has made me believe he is a very good CFL H-back (good hands and bruising runner with some quicks or moves - like his college ball tailback experience would have suggested) who can make plays in the offence - since he has been used (i.e. given chances) this season, and after a couple of glaring drops last season that did not look good.

I like both players, and could really learn to love Declan Cross. I am sure the coaches are working with him on ball security. And lets get him some tough inside runs to get him involved. The guy loves to play. Give him the ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    This kid wasn't even drafted and he has nothing but make his case to be on the team. He has ability and should keep getting better.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Ralph will never be the primary look on plays when you have receivers like Green and Edwards. It also took time for Coombs to get at the level he was this season. The thing with Cross is, a lot of Cross' players were specifically designed for Cross, like the TD vs Edmonton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When Ralph gets targeted more or lots and drops passes galore or makes little to no YAC yards, I'll start believing he is "nowhere near the player" (receiver) that Coombs (a converted tailback) is.

If memory serves, you were one of the posters on here suggesting Cross was not a player around this time last year. Maybe I'm wrong about that -- there was definitely more than one poster who ripped him on the basis of one or two dropped passes. Ironically, I came to his defence at the time. And for the record, I think Ralph has good potential. But to think he might already be what Coombs took three years to develop into seems overly optimistic.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    There is an obvious conspiracy going on here.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While I understand that Declan Cross is not going to replace Wilder or Whitaker, I do think he should be used more often on running plays. Having Cross carry the ball once in 16 games, when he has shown he is a good runner by gaining 231 of his receiving yards as YAC yards is ridiculous. It could even benefit whoever is in the backfield as RB, whether it is Wilder or Whitaker, because the opposition automatic assumption is that the RB is the only one getting the ball on a running play, especially now that Coombs is injured.

Achievements:
    Level
    I like Cross' speed and size but he never even ran the ball at McMaster. I don't think he's a true ball carrier. Not against him getting a carry but that's not really his role/position.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Pfft. It's the CFL, where lackluster Canadians are handed jobs (not that I think Cross has btw). I'd like to see the ratio dropped to an extent, although I'm not quite ready for the ratio as a whole to be dropped.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If memory serves, you were one of the posters on here suggesting Cross was not a player around this time last year. Maybe I'm wrong about that -- there was definitely more than one poster who ripped him on the basis of one or two dropped passes. Ironically, I came to his defence at the time. And for the record, I think Ralph has good potential. But to think he might already be what Coombs took three years to develop into seems overly optimistic.
    I was in the group that gave Cross a hard time. Rightfully so, those were some glaring drops on key downs. I only recall one poster asking he'd be cut though, and he's not posting here anymore. I'm glad he has grown to be a good player. Such is the growing pains of younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    While I understand that Declan Cross is not going to replace Wilder or Whitaker, I do think he should be used more often on running plays. Having Cross carry the ball once in 16 games, when he has shown he is a good runner by gaining 231 of his receiving yards as YAC yards is ridiculous. It could even benefit whoever is in the backfield as RB, whether it is Wilder or Whitaker, because the opposition automatic assumption is that the RB is the only one getting the ball on a running play, especially now that Coombs is injured.
    Reminds me of Jeff Johnson. When they finally gave him the ball, he could only produce. I'd love to see Cross get a few carries, even if it is to thow the D off like you mentioned. But then again, we'd be taking away targeted plays for Ralph! LOL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I like Cross' speed and size but he never even ran the ball at McMaster. I don't think he's a true ball carrier. Not against him getting a carry but that's not really his role/position.
    You are most incorrect there - "never ran the ball" - Cross played tailback at Mac - splitting duties with Wayne Moore (who Popp laughingly used a 12th overall draft pick on with the Als in 2016) - 2 bigger sized tailbacks for CIS ball and neither was a dominant ball carrier (like Jesse Lumsden was for Mac) - but they did the job and i believe played together on tha tMac Vanier winning team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You are most incorrect there - "never ran the ball" - Cross played tailback at Mac - splitting duties with Wayne Moore (who Popp laughingly used a 12th overall draft pick on with the Als in 2016) - 2 bigger sized tailbacks for CIS ball and neither was a dominant ball carrier (like Jesse Lumsden was for Mac) - but they did the job and i believe played together on tha tMac Vanier winning team.
    Care to change your story?

Just checked 2015 OUA stats. Cross didn’t make the top
    50 rushers with #50 having a grand total of 37 yards. I think it’s safe to say he never ran the ball in University.

Officially:

2014: 3 carries for 21 yards; 12 receptions for 107 yards.

2015: 5 carries for 23 yards; 4 receptions for 42 yards

Interestingly, he was listed as a wide receiver on the roster.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 10-17-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Level
    You are very incorrect with "splitting time". Moore's 108 carries in 2016 compared to Cross' 7 and 1515 career yards compared to 169. MAC actually lists Cross as a WR, and not a RB.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    You are very incorrect with "splitting time". Moore's 108 carries in 2016 compared to Cross' 7 and 1515 career yards compared to 169. MAC actually lists Cross as a WR, and not a RB.
    Cross played a very unique position at MAC which was a blocking hybrid SB/H-Back. He was primarily a blocker but did run and receive based on the game plan. OUA stats are not complete and he did not play much in his last year due to injuries. However check his stats by game for his 2014-2015 season on the MAC site. Believe it or not he was the 2014 Offense MVP.
    http://www.marauders.ca/boxscore.asp...tball&id=10194 this is a sample of his stats

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    Cross played a very unique position at MAC which was a blocking hybrid SB/H-Back. He was primarily a blocker but did run and receive based on the game plan. OUA stats are not complete and he did not play much in his last year due to injuries. However check his stats by game for his 2014-2015 season on the MAC site. Believe it or not he was the 2014 Offense MVP.
    http://www.marauders.ca/boxscore.asp...tball&id=10194 this is a sample of his stats
    Point is - somebody here said he "never" ran the ball for Mac - and that is incorrect - even if some usual suspect dullards want to believe he "never" ran the ball there, cause that fits their defending the faith narrative - knock yourself out pal. Cross had a 19 yard TD run in that game stat you provided - but yeah, really, he "never" ran the ball/
    Last edited by OV Argo; 10-17-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Is that you Oliver Stone ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Hey - if some here are good with Jimmy Ralph playing close to full-time reps at a key slotback position in the CFL and want to say it's OK that he almost is never targeted cause he ain't "good enough" or needs to "develop" or is just ok for running clearing routes mostly - that's just swell/special and to each his own opinion.

IMO- a CFL slotback targeted once a game just does not cut it for a good offence. Maybe wayyyy over-due to see what maybe Brian Jones could do instead in that spot = a big target traditional CFL slotback - like the role Sinopoli has played for Ottawa ? - 3 straight thousand yard receiving seasons; Jones is bigger & faster than Sinopoli and was a star, productive slotback in CIS ball - IF Jones has even close to the receiving skills of Sinopoli - great hands, smart route runner, tough to bring down/very good at YAC yards = he could be a huge addition to the Argo offence. But maybe Ralph has a great game coming up - with Ray and the offensive brain-trust throwing the ball to him 2 or 3 times ?