Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimmy Ralph

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Are we really going to split hairs with Declan Cross?

That's too much hair man. Who cares.

All I remember is when he came out of Mac, he was lauded by a couple of my Hamilton friends which was backed up by Duane Ford, who said he was a good sneak pick.

I liked the sounds of him and wanted the Argos to draft him and was happy they did.

I am still happy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If memory serves, you were one of the posters on here suggesting Cross was not a player around this time last year. Maybe I'm wrong about that -- there was definitely more than one poster who ripped him on the basis of one or two dropped passes. Ironically, I came to his defence at the time. And for the record, I think Ralph has good potential. But to think he might already be what Coombs took three years to develop into seems overly optimistic.

Provide the link that shows me "ripping" Cross here; I was disappointed in those 2 glaring drops, but I was not the guy saying he should be cut for that.

He's become about the most productive CFL H-back now - with some big gainers; Lavoie for the RedBlacks might be used a bit more, but he has had some drops problems and IMO Cross is better. Still say the Als' big bruising H-back (name escapes me now - injured for a bit but back last game) - is the best talent there in the league - not used that much but has produced some big plays - as both a receiver & ball carrier; dofus clowns like Mavis Reed & Chapdelaine don't get it though and he would be stuck with one or two touches a game, maybe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Hey - if some here are good with Jimmy Ralph playing close to full-time reps at a key slotback position in the CFL and want to say it's OK that he almost is never targeted cause he ain't "good enough" or needs to "develop" or is just ok for running clearing routes mostly - that's just swell/special and to each his own opinion.

IMO- a CFL slotback targeted once a game just does not cut it for a good offence. Maybe wayyyy over-due to see what maybe Brian Jones could do instead in that spot = a big target traditional CFL slotback - like the role Sinopoli has played for Ottawa ? - 3 straight thousand yard receiving seasons; Jones is bigger & faster than Sinopoli and was a star, productive slotback in CIS ball - IF Jones has even close to the receiving skills of Sinopoli - great hands, smart route runner, tough to bring down/very good at YAC yards = he could be a huge addition to the Argo offence. But maybe Ralph has a great game coming up - with Ray and the offensive brain-trust throwing the ball to him 2 or 3 times ?
    Count me in on wanting to see what Jones can do, don't understand the Argos not giving him a decent chance to sink or swim as a pro.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Count me in on wanting to see what Jones can do, don't understand the Argos not giving him a decent chance to sink or swim as a pro.
    With Coombs, Cross and Ralph being Nationals who got playing time at WR/SB, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones goes elsewhere as a free agent since his lack of any receptions in his second year with the Argos tells him his future chances in Toronto are not great. I also thought he had some promise last year but sometimes it doesn't work out on one team: for example, Chad Owens on the Als. (Please do not reply that Jones is not Owens.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Another National receiver who could be highly attractive on the free agent market is Llevi Noel, who is second in the league in special team tackles with 23 after this game. In other words, even if he does not develop as a receiver, he would be valuable to other teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Way to go Jimmy ! - good game and the guy has good hands.

The offence is better when the ball gets spread around and they show diversity - stuck with banging the ground game - Wilder is a very good back now that he has found his CFL game and has confidence - very smooth runner and hits the holes and has both power & speed; Cross was involved and can be a good weapon; Green, Edwards and Posey are a very good big 3. This offence can be very good if Ray is given time to throw.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

The offence is better when the ball gets spread around and they show diversity - stuck with banging the ground game - Wilder is a very good back now that he has found his CFL game and has confidence - very smooth runner and hits the holes and has both power & speed; Cross was involved and can be a good weapon; Green, Edwards and Posey are a very good big 3. This offence can be very good if Ray is given time to throw.
    Agreed on all counts OV, hard to defend an offence that utilizes all weapons available and has an effective running game as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Yes! Statistically the best game of his young career with 6 catches (a tie of his previous best) for 89 yards. He shows lots of promise for the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So now that Ralph is establishing himself, who sits when Coombs comes back? Can't be Williams because he's starting, or Noel because he's a force on special teams. It shouldn't be Ralph because he's best suited to fill in if Coombs goes down again. In theory that means Jones, but he has really started to establish himself on specials as well. I think Webster draws the short straw at that point.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I especially watched Jones on special teams yesterday---was very effective.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So now that Ralph is establishing himself, who sits when Coombs comes back? Can't be Williams because he's starting, or Noel because he's a force on special teams. It shouldn't be Ralph because he's best suited to fill in if Coombs goes down again. In theory that means Jones, but he has really started to establish himself on specials as well. I think Webster draws the short straw at that point.
    Agreed.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed.
    Aren't we only dressing 2 backup DBs currently?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022