Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Well, that was what we wanted. A very good showing and now two weeks to heal (Jackson?) and market this game. The team looks very well positioned. We've beaten Ottawa, come very close with Saskatchewan, and beaten both Winnipeg and Edmonton, should we and they get that far. Calgary? Looks beatable, right now. This year's Cup is up for grabs! Why not the Argos? Hopefully we can get a big, loud home crowd out to the Eastern Final!
    Superb playing by the Argonauts. I agree with your statements.

"Martese Jackson being injured. I think this team needed the bye week so that players like Jackson and Ball can get rested up and healed for the East Final."

I also thought that the Argos' chances to play in, and win, the Grey Cup improved significantly by earning the bye into the East Division Final.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Had a long drive on Friday and listened to the classic Steely Dan song "Rikki don't lose that number" and couldn't help but think of Jim Popp and the upcoming off season negotiations with Ricky Ray. With Tom Brady playing at top of form at 40, and Ricky's form last nupight, it seems he's got years of fuel left in his tank. Given a strong O-line and James Wilder's running/receiving out of the backfield, Ricky could extend his career here in Toronto by years.

https://youtu.be/eDWeGLt-2WE
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Looking good, so far...but I fear our red zone troubles are going to come back to haunt us in the next few weeks...
    I've said all year too much is being made of the red zone issues. Argos offence has long drives, keeps the D off the field, and still gets points. I'll take 3 of those over a TD and 2 times going 2 and out any day of the week.

As for the game itself, it was a dominating performance. People can say BC mailed it in, but if that was the case, why didn't they mail it in last week? Anyone that follows me on twitter knows that I was happy that Ottawa beat Hamilton last week, because I didn't want the Argos to back in to first place, and more importantly not have to go 4 weeks between meaningful games.

James Wilder is beyond the shadow of a doubt the league's 2nd half MOP, averaging more than 200 yards from scrimmage in his 6 starts over that time. Argos finish the season winning 5 of last 7, with only 2 losses coming on last second plays in which Wilder was injured in the first one and completely sat out the 2nd one. At this time, Argos are as good as any team in the league. And to think, their best player on D, Marcus Ball missed the last 6 games.

So happy for Ricky Ray. As classy a person as there ever has been, that a few love to shit on. Some of which have been conspicuous by their absence the last few weeks.

I personally can't wait for the 19th.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 11-05-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    So happy watching the game last night. There are so many players on this team to love now. This season has exceeded my expectations by millions of miles. I cannot believe the DB's and corners that Popp has been able to put together throughout the season along with the D line and linebackers. I could not have dreamed of this. Wilder has really rounded out the offence. He has made a massive difference and the O line coaching change has made a massive difference. Three concerns going into the playoffs; 1) red zone production, 2) Jackson if healthy fumbling and 3) tackling on special teams at times.

I don't think anyone could have predicted this. BTW did you guys see Marcus Ball in the dressing room after the game!!! What a great guy and great leader. So glad it looks like he will be back.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:

Level
    Sunday morning and time for sober reflection. It was a dominant performance against a team that clearly wanted no part of it. I agree with you timlb01 that the O-line coaching change along with the emergence of James Wilder has made a huge difference to this offense. The D has been stellar all season long. The one sad note, and there always seems to be one is that this tremendous start to finish beat down came at 1 in the morning for you guys. I wonder how many potential ticket buyers stayed up to see it?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Congrats and cheers to all Argo fans!

Last night was a big win for all of us hard bitten Argo fans.

Following the late regime change, I told myself that an 8 win season would have to be considered a great success. Marc Trestman has surpassed my expectations of him and I too am buying what he is selling. He is even better than I imagined. You can see it in the players, and you hear Trestman's words echo on-camera or in the sound bites.

The last time we found success, we had a team that had bought in and played hard for each other. They played like a band of brothers. Players like Kackert, Durie, Foley, Ball, Chad Owens, Swayze, Belli, Van Zeyl.

This team is buying what Trestman is selling and they are because he is the consummate pro (who teaches team first) who is a part time professor, physiologist, father figure, good citizen, good family man and an adaptive and proficient football coach.

I believe this team will play to the end and compete for a Grey Cup.

It is amazing what a running game has done for the Offensive Line and in turn for Ricky Ray's health. We must always strive for a dominant, game changer who plays for the team.

Nearly every time the Argos have had a game changer in the backfield, the O-Line and the Quarterback find success through players like Mike Clemons, Robert Drummond, Mike Jenkins, Chad Kackert, Gil Fenerty, Cedric Minter and Bill Symons

With Trestman, I believe that Jim Popp can keep feeding him the type of football players that will keep this program winning on the field and building in the community.

For the first time in several years, we finally have a big play Defense that can win a game on their own accord. This team can win in any one of the 3 phases, as is called for.

Enjoy your weekend, and congrats to all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Congrats and cheers to all Argo fans!

Last night was a big win for all of us hard bitten Argo fans.

Following the late regime change, I told myself that an 8 win season would have to be considered a great success. Marc Trestman has surpassed my expectations of him and I too am buying what he is selling. He is even better than I imagined. You can see it in the players, and you hear Trestman's words echo on-camera or in the sound bites.

The last time we found success, we had a team that had bought in and played hard for each other. They played like a band of brothers. Players like Kackert, Durie, Foley, Ball, Chad Owens, Swayze, Belli, Van Zeyl.

This team is buying what Trestman is selling and they are because he is the consummate pro (who teaches team first) who is a part time professor, physiologist, father figure, good citizen, good family man and an adaptive and proficient football coach.

I believe this team will play to the end and compete for a Grey Cup.

It is amazing what a running game has done for the Offensive Line and in turn for Ricky Ray's health. We must always strive for a dominant, game changer who plays for the team.

Nearly every time the Argos have had a game changer in the backfield, the O-Line and the Quarterback find success through players like Mike Clemons, Robert Drummond, Mike Jenkins, Chad Kackert, Gil Fenerty, Cedric Minter and Bill Symons

With Trestman, I believe that Jim Popp can keep feeding him the type of football players that will keep this program winning on the field and building in the community.

For the first time in several years, we finally have a big play Defense that can win a game on their own accord. This team can win in any one of the 3 phases, as is called for.

Enjoy your weekend, and congrats to all.
    Hear, Hear! Well said...

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    James Wilder is beyond the shadow of a doubt the league's 2nd half MOP, averaging more than 200 yards from scrimmage in his 6 starts over that time. Argos finish the season winning 5 of last 7, with only 2 losses coming on last second plays in which Wilder was injured in the first one and completely sat out the 2nd one. At this time, Argos are as good as any team in the league. And to think, their best player on D, Marcus Ball missed the last 6 games.
    Everyone talks about Andrew Harris but if Wilder had started the entire season, and stayed healthy, how close would he be to a 1000 & 1000 season as a RB?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've said all year too much is being made of the red zone issues. Argos offence has long drives, keeps the D off the field, and still gets points. I'll take 3 of those over a TD and 2 times going 2 and out any day of the week.

As for the game itself, it was a dominating performance. People can say BC mailed it in, but if that was the case, why didn't they mail it in last week? Anyone that follows me on twitter knows that I was happy that Ottawa beat Hamilton last week, because I didn't want the Argos to back in to first place, and more importantly not have to go 4 weeks between meaningful games.

So happy for Ricky Ray. As classy a person as there ever has been, that a few love to shit on. Some of which have been conspicuous by their absence the last few weeks.

I personally can't wait for the 19th.
    Agree on all points Angelo, I was highly critical of the previous Argo regimes handling of the QB situation and wondered about Ray’s durability but gladly have been proven wrong in 2017.
    Trestman’s commitment to Ray from the moment he arrived has paid dividends not only on the field but I suspect off the field as well.
    The players respect Trestman and his staff and it shows on the field, they are all in this together and I couldn’t be happier to witness this evolution as a fan!
    It goes without saying we all want the Argos in the Grey Cup this season vying for their 17th World Championship but win or lose Popp, Trestman and each player should be commended for their efforts this season!!
    Go Argos!!!!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I noticed Jordan and Bass a couple of times, but I couldn't tell under what circumstances they were coming in. Did anyone figure out how we were using them?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This team is shaping up as a strong contender to win the Grey Cup. It's not just because they seem to be getting healthy and rounding into form in all three phases at the right time of year. They also seem to have championship-calibre chemistry and love for one another. The 2004 and 2012 teams also had that, and in both years I had a very strong sense of destiny heading into the playoffs. (Actually, in 2004 I felt it starting around mid-season.)

These guys are going to be a real handful for whichever team emerges next week. The best outcome of the semi from a biz standpoint is likely Sask since they have lots of fans in the area, but I honestly don't care who we play -- we're going to beat whomever we face on the 19th. I see a Ricky Ray-Mike Reilly showdown for both MOP and the Grey Cup.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I noticed Jordan and Bass a couple of times, but I couldn't tell under what circumstances they were coming in. Did anyone figure out how we were using them?
    Looked to me as if Bass was in on second-and-long situations, but hard to tell on TV. He played a fair number of snaps. I am assume Jordan sits if Ball suits up, with Bass and Plummer both dressed as well.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Very good point, AV. Possession matters, and points are points. We needed that Posey TD at the end of the half to feel comfortable but bottom line is we rolled up 500 yards of offence and 40 points so the offence was successful all night, despite a few misfires in the red zone.

James Wilder is beyond the shadow of a doubt the league's 2nd half MOP, averaging more than 200 yards from scrimmage in his 6 starts over that time. Argos finish the season winning 5 of last 7, with only 2 losses coming on last second plays in which Wilder was injured in the first one and completely sat out the 2nd one.
    Wilder looks close to unstoppable right now, like Kackert in 2012 except bigger, faster and stronger. The o-line has been mowing people down in the run game and on screen passes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    The more we see of Wilder and the more he dominates each game, the more he reminds me of Robert Drummond.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    The more we see of Wilder and the more he dominates each game, the more he reminds me of Robert Drummond.
    I agree. I thought that from the beginning of the season glad he is exceeding early season expectations.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Seems like the winds have whipped up a perfect storm type season for the Argo sails.

Jimmy P & Trestman as vet skippers to take the helm; great new deck hands additions - like Butler, Wynn, Wilder; gifted very good vet players in Woods & SJ Green (thanks Mavis); the return of stalwarts like Marcus Ball and Cleon Laing; old Ricky Ray looking like Ricky Ray of old - sharp, smart leader at QB with a very good receiving corps to throw to. All 3 phases of the game seem to be sailing smoothly now, at the right time, into the play-off seas.

And - they get to host the East final and face either: Ottawa - sub. 500 team this year, and missing some key starters with injury, but still defending GC Champs - i guess they have that going for them, OR the Riders - 2 games above .500 in and up & down season, and have some real star talent, but very iffy at QB compared to Ricky Ray. And - neither of these teams have anything close to a powerful, dominant pass rush D-line - which might be the main thing to give Ray trouble in a big game now.

2017 - onwards to Ottawa (take Lake Ontario to Kingston, turn left, and then sail up the Rideau Canal system, and dock right at Lansdowne Park ;o).

PULL TOGETHER !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Seems like the winds have whipped up a perfect storm type season for the Argo sails.

Jimmy P & Trestman as vet skippers to take the helm; great new deck hands additions - like Butler, Wynn, Wilder; gifted very good vet players in Woods & SJ Green (thanks Mavis); the return of stalwarts like Marcus Ball and Cleon Laing; old Ricky Ray looking like Ricky Ray of old - sharp, smart leader at QB with a very good receiving corps to throw to. All 3 phases of the game seem to be sailing smoothly now, at the right time, into the play-off seas.

And - they get to host the East final and face either: Ottawa - sub. 500 team this year, and missing some key starters with injury, but still defending GC Champs - i guess they have that going for them, OR the Riders - 2 games above .500 in and up & down season, and have some real star talent, but very iffy at QB compared to Ricky Ray. And - neither of these teams have anything close to a powerful, dominant pass rush D-line - which might be the main thing to give Ray trouble in a big game now.

2017 - onwards to Ottawa (take Lake Ontario to Kingston, turn left, and then sail up the Rideau Canal system, and dock right at Lansdowne Park ;o).

PULL TOGETHER !!!
    Sounds like a good plan OV!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I don't remember Robert Drummond being as physical as James Jr. To me he more of a chip off the old block. He is suppose to be still under contract for 2018, if Popp doesn't let him go early. I'm sure the NFL will come calling again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Wilder looks close to unstoppable right now, like Kackert in 2012 except bigger, faster and stronger.
    So the premise of The Six Million Dollar Man was correct. Nice to see those screen passes, BTW.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I don't remember Robert Drummond being as physical as James Jr. To me he more of a chip off the old block. He is suppose to be still under contract for 2018, if Popp doesn't let him go early. I'm sure the NFL will come calling again.
    I wonder how it'd play out if the CFL did not allow GMs to let players under contract leave early? Most players would still sign in the CFL anyway (playing vs not-playing, in all likelihood), and could still leave after year two.