Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Was Cory Boyd just as dominant in 2010 and 2011 as Wilder Jr is now?
    I liked Boyd a lot, but no chance was he the game changer that Wilder has been. Having said that, he also didn't have Ricky Ray at QB those years.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    ... a full season out of Wilder playing like he has in 10 games or so this year.
    Just six games, really. Abruptly, beginning in week 13, he has been ridiculously good. In his three previous starts in June and July he was terrible-to-decent, I'd say. Six games is a limited data set to be sure, and only two of those performances were against good teams (Edmonton was a pretty average team in mid-September)... but I've seen enough to get excited. If he stays in our league, the only reason he could *never* be the next X-Ray is that the nickname wouldn't make any sense. ;)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I liked Boyd a lot, but no chance was he the game changer that Wilder has been. Having said that, he also didn't have Ricky Ray at QB those years.
    I don't remember Boyd fighting through tackles like Junior does and he wasn't much of a passer blocker. Maybe he didn't like the QB of the time. He wouldn't be alone if that was the case.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I don't remember Boyd fighting through tackles like Junior does and he wasn't much of a passer blocker. Maybe he didn't like the QB of the time. He wouldn't be alone if that was the case.
    I do. I remember him moving piles of tacklers for many extra yards. I also recall him being very emotional and as it turns out, a bit of a head case. But he was a good one, and he played his heart out, hurt. Except, he was ultimately a problem for Jim Barker. I remember how surprised the CFL world was when he was let go. As Angelo pointed out, he didn't play with Ricky Ray. He had Cleo Lemon, so that is a thing to consider. JWJ has what it takes to be better, but he hasn't surpassed him yet. Wilder is smoother, with better hands and without a doubt...is faster and in way better shape. Boyd was kind of out of shape, but was exceptionally physical. Downhill where as JWJ is upright. (;

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    His first two years with the Argos were with Cleo Lemon/Steven Jyles and Dalton Bell as QB. Jim Barker was the coach. Boyd was not cut until Ricky Ray had been acquired and Scott Milanovich hired. I forget that Chad Kackert was actually with the Argos in 2011 too.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I do. I remember him moving piles of tacklers for many extra yards. I also recall him being very emotional and as it turns out, a bit of a head case. But he was a good one, and he played his heart out, hurt. Except, he was ultimately a problem for Jim Barker. I remember how surprised the CFL world was when he was let go. As Angelo pointed out, he didn't play with Ricky Ray. He had Cleo Lemon, so that is a thing to consider. JWJ has what it takes to be better, but he hasn't surpassed him yet. Wilder is smoother, with better hands and without a doubt...is faster and in way better shape. Boyd was kind of out of shape, but was exceptionally physical. Downhill where as JWJ is upright. (;
    The reason Boyd was cut was because he was either unable or unwilling to pass protect. He was wiffing on blocking assignments and getting Ray killed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The reason Boyd was cut was because he was either unable or unwilling to pass protect. He was wiffing on blocking assignments and getting Ray killed.
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten that he'd played with Ricky. How many games, I don't recall? I think the outrage over Boyd getting cut was quickly assuaged by our love for one Chad Kackert, who was a practice roster guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Boyd didn't fight through tackles ?
    I really think people are over looking how good Boyd was for us, and let's be honest he was cut because of his blocking ability/drive. He's not the legend that Kackert is around here though for some reason............ :eyeroll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiI3rB_ur3w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoDdzFf4Oz8

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Boyd was a great RB for the Argos. He and Chad Owens were the only thing we had going in 2010 and 2011 offensively. I was really pissed when they cut him because the only thing I remembered about Kackert was a 2 fumble performance in 2011 in a game in Montreal. Having said that I became a huge Kackert fan and the change in the team in 2012 when he took over was unmistakable. If Kackert doesn't go down prior to the 2013 EF the Argos win back to back Grey Cups.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    And the Legend of Kackert continues to grow.