Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It is undoubtedly true, that when things are given away free, people will often see the items, if not valueless, then definitely of reduced value.

However the flex tickets were not given away free but rather given as a reward for those who had purchased season tickets. Argo season ticket holders are hardly overwhelmed, with rewards or benefits for putting out money, way in advance of the season. In my case the flex tickets were utilized to bring friends and family members to the game and hopefully motivating some of them to buy Argo tickets in the future.

This may simply be a case of individuals interpreting something in different ways and neither view is necessarily wrong. Whereas one may see the flex tickets as a valuable perk for being a STH, even a useful marketing tool to encourage future fans, others will see it as a freeby that devalues the value of the tickets they have purchased and discourage others from buying tickets at the regular price.

In our case the use of flex tickets did create interest in the team and motivated individuals to want to come to future games--so it worked but I respect if others have a different view. Whatever your take on this issue, I still hold that STH's are not receiving sufficient benefits from being a STH.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    ...However the flex tickets were not given away free but rather given as a reward for those who had purchased season tickets. Argo season ticket holders are hardly overwhelmed, with rewards or benefits for putting out money, way in advance of the season. In my case the flex tickets were utilized to bring friends and family members to the game and hopefully motivating some of them to buy Argo tickets in the future...
    I don't mean to suggest the flex tickets were unappreciated or that having them taken away is not a fair frustration. (Having only been a STH for two seasons perhaps I haven't been exposed to as much misery and am being more forgiving.)

But I still don't like the strategy. For groups that have little purchasing power to begin with (eg. kids) or are deserving of special recognition (veterans, alumni, etc.) by all means have targeted freebies. (The absence of a smart children's strategy is really puzzling in year 3 at BMO.) Or, if you are making it open to all, have a flex night that is specific and measurable. Handing an open-ended free ticket to the salaried workmate at the next cubicle, or even my spouse or sibling, is another story however. It may be "hopefully motivating" but it will just as likely reinforce the notion that the Argos are a cheap night out. And at the end of the day the team is going to have little means to measure the efficacy.

There are smart ways to provide real monetary value adds. Imagine if, for example, for every $2 or $3 extra dollars in revenue you brought in during the regular season the team discounted next year's ST by $1. Then I'd want to SELL to the workmate in the next cubicle with a genuine incentive in mind. I'm sure we could come up with numerous similar strategies that would reward STHs without papering the stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I don't mean to suggest the flex tickets were unappreciated or that having them taken away is not a fair frustration. (Having only been a STH for two seasons perhaps I haven't been exposed to as much misery and am being more forgiving.)

But I still don't like the strategy. For groups that have little purchasing power to begin with (eg. kids) or are deserving of special recognition (veterans, alumni, etc.) by all means have targeted freebies. (The absence of a smart children's strategy is really puzzling in year 3 at BMO.) Or, if you are making it open to all, have a flex night that is specific and measurable. Handing an open-ended free ticket to the salaried workmate at the next cubicle, or even my spouse or sibling, is another story however. It may be "hopefully motivating" but it will just as likely reinforce the notion that the Argos are a cheap night out. And at the end of the day the team is going to have little means to measure the efficacy.

There are smart ways to provide real monetary value adds. Imagine if, for example, for every $2 or $3 extra dollars in revenue you brought in during the regular season the team discounted next year's ST by $1. Then I'd want to SELL to the workmate in the next cubicle with a genuine incentive in mind. I'm sure we could come up with numerous similar strategies that would reward STHs without papering the stadium.
    Argonauts Kids Club:

https://www.argonauts.ca/kidsclub/

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    That seems like a decent value for a fun pack. But there's no kids pricing or night, is there? I thought I read on here they were still having issues confirming who's a kid...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is undoubtedly true, that when things are given away free, people will often see the items, if not valueless, then definitely of reduced value.

However the flex tickets were not given away free but rather given as a reward for those who had purchased season tickets. Argo season ticket holders are hardly overwhelmed, with rewards or benefits for putting out money, way in advance of the season. In my case the flex tickets were utilized to bring friends and family members to the game and hopefully motivating some of them to buy Argo tickets in the future.

This may simply be a case of individuals interpreting something in different ways and neither view is necessarily wrong. Whereas one may see the flex tickets as a valuable perk for being a STH, even a useful marketing tool to encourage future fans, others will see it as a freeby that devalues the value of the tickets they have purchased and discourage others from buying tickets at the regular price.

In our case the use of flex tickets did create interest in the team and motivated individuals to want to come to future games--so it worked but I respect if others have a different view. Whatever your take on this issue, I still hold that STH's are not receiving sufficient benefits from being a STH.
    Agree 100%. One of the friends I brought down to a game with my flex tickets has now become a STH.