Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Soccer may continue to grow in popularity in Canada, but IMO, pro soccer will never become huge and approach even close to viewership numbers of hockey, OR, football - which (and a lot of people, like Simmons, don't get this) - IS a Canadian game - invented here and played here, competitively, at many levels, for over a hundred years.

IF Canadian football got even a fraction of the attention now - from media types - that hockey does, then the CFL would be much more popular - like back in the old glory days of the CFL - 60s & 70s say - when CFL football did get way more hype and attention and rivalled NHL hockey for coverage and respect in the old media (daily newspapers) of the day. Those days are long gone of course, and there are now decades worth of wannabes ignoring Canadian football and flocking to other sports as they were told the CFL wasn't major league or world class and worth any attention. But I still believe the CFL and Canadian football could see some sort of resurgence in popularity and respect - not sure I'd bet on that though. But I would be willing to bet that pro soccer in Canada (or the US) never gets anything close to the viewership numbers that the CFL has had in Canada. Part of this is because football is a Canadian sport.
    There is no questioning the popularity of football in Canada and the CFL is very strong west of Ontario. There just seems to be obstacles to the CFL in Toronto. Most people I know are not soccer fans, its a niche market. NHL and NFL are the most popular in my opinion with the gen x and millennial demographics. The biggest complaints in the GTA that I hear about the CFL are:

1.Its not the NFL
    2.CFL is more like a division
    3.I don't care about being patriotic

This perception needs to be addressed in order to increase Argos attendance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    TFC and MLS has basically only a niche following in each city, with the people attending being the extent of the following.
    Since the TV numbers are so abysmal, I say they have no growth potential.
    Unlike the Argos who have quite a TV following in the league which has Canada wide following.
    There is no comparison between the two, so why don't we just ignore it.
    Simmons is a troll when it comes to the Argos and CFL, as it is all virtually negative reporting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    TFC and MLS has basically only a niche following in each city, with the people attending being the extent of the following.
    Since the TV numbers are so abysmal, I say they have no growth potential.
    Unlike the Argos who have quite a TV following in the league which has Canada wide following.
    There is no comparison between the two, so why don't we just ignore it.
    Simmons is a troll when it comes to the Argos and CFL, as it is all virtually negative reporting.
    You need to read Simmons and not just go by a pre-conceived idea of what he believes. He's been pumping the tires on the Argos game day experience for the better part of 2 years now.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    TFC will never have the Canada-wide viewership that the Argos have. Interest in TFC is largely within the 416 and the GTA, so the TV numbers will always be limited.

While the Argos may have limited interest in the 6ix, they do have the advantage of a Canada-wide audience by virtue of the fact they are always playing another CFL team.
    Isn't the argument that a lot of people don't watch the CFL because it's Only Canadian teams?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    There is no questioning the popularity of football in Canada and the CFL is very strong west of Ontario. There just seems to be obstacles to the CFL in Toronto. Most people I know are not soccer fans, its a niche market. NHL and NFL are the most popular in my opinion with the gen x and millennial demographics. The biggest complaints in the GTA that I hear about the CFL are:

1.Its not the NFL
    2.CFL is more like a division
    3.I don't care about being patriotic

This perception needs to be addressed in order to increase Argos attendance.
    The CFL is also very popular in Hamilton and Ottawa, both of which are in Ontario.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You need to read Simmons and not just go by a pre-conceived idea of what he believes. He's been pumping the tires on the Argos game day experience for the better part of 2 years now.

When was the last time that Simmons wrote an entirely positive article on the Argos and or the CFL?
    I can't recall, as even when there is the slight positive slant there is always a "but".
    His equivalent are fellow Sportsnet kool aid drinkers and anti CFL Stephen Brunt and Damien Cox.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not to mention that his family has season's tickets. I personally met him at one of the tailgates last year and there were twelve people with him who came to see the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    When was the last time that Simmons wrote an entirely positive article on the Argos and or the CFL?
    I can't recall, as even when there is the slight positive slant there is always a "but".
    His equivalent are fellow Sportsnet kool aid drinkers and anti CFL Stephen Brunt and Damien Cox.
    Simmons is a classic wannabe - and it's cool for those types to mock or put down the CFL - cause it ain't "world class" or major league; and those types abound in the media now; too bad there aren't a lot of the other end of the scale types in the media - people who are proud of the CFL - it's heritage and continued fine quality of play & competition - and willing to speak out & comment positively on it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Simmons has been critical of the CFL but to his credit he pony’s up the cash and has season tickets.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    I can't believe the contempt for Simmons on here. I'd say he's one of the main backers of the Argos - when TFC is being talked on TSN radio, he'd be the first one to change the subject to the Argos/CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Criticizing Simmons is just done by rote around here. I don't believe those who condemn him as anti-CFL actually read him regularly, or at all. It's simpler, after all, to deride something repeatedly than to actually delve into it. (Exactly what those same people often accuse others of doing to the CFL, ironically.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Isn't the argument that a lot of people don't watch the CFL because it's Only Canadian teams?
    My point is that if the Argos are playing Edmonton for example, the TV numbers are increased because there is viewership in the Edmonton market and across the country. This contributes to the healthy TV numbers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You obviously believe what you want to believe. I used to not like Simmons too, and felt he was too critical of the Argos and the league specifically. I admit I was wrong. I really enjoy listening to him on 1050, and thought he was great on the reporters (sad to see that show cancelled). When you write as many columns as he does, there are bound to be some hit and miss ones. Overall, I think he's very good.

As for Brunt and Cox, I know for a fact I have seen Brunt in the stands many times at Ti-Cats home games over the years. He is a fan. I blame the Rogers affiliation for any conceived ill will people see from him towards the league. Not sure about Cox. He has a much bigger ego than Brunt IMO and I am not a fan of his.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Criticizing Simmons is just done by rote around here. I don't believe those who condemn him as anti-CFL actually read him regularly, or at all. It's simpler, after all, to deride something repeatedly than to actually delve into it. (Exactly what those same people often accuse others of doing to the CFL, ironically.)
    A significant number of posters seem to take issue with anyone being critical of the Argonauts. I've never had an issue with Simmons, he's always been fair IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My point is that if the Argos are playing Edmonton for example, the TV numbers are increased because there is viewership in the Edmonton market and across the country. This contributes to the healthy TV numbers.
    No different than when the Impact, Whitecaps or TFC play each other. The ratings are still much lower than the Argonauts when that happens.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm good with Simmons as long as I don't have to hear about Ricky Ray eating a hotdog before the game.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    No different than when the Impact, Whitecaps or TFC play each other. The ratings are still much lower than the Argonauts when that happens.
    No question. But, I would guess that Argos vs Als would have lower TV figures than Argos vs Sask. Although I guess other CFL markets have a vested interest in all CFL games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Simmons writes his fair share on the CFL, both positive and negative. To his credit, the negative issues are actually true, fans just don't want to hear them. He's a big Argonauts fan. Aside from Hogan, probably the biggest in Toronto media.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    No question. But, I would guess that Argos vs Als would have lower TV figures than Argos vs Sask. Although I guess other CFL markets have a vested interest in all CFL games.
    I've always hated when people claim the Argos numbers are inflated by Western Canada. It's not true. When the Argos play any East team, they produce the same good viewership. The whole province of Saskatchewan, for example, is not tuning into a Toronto/Montreal matchup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    A significant number of posters seem to take issue with anyone being critical of the Argonauts. I've never had an issue with Simmons, he's always been fair IMO.

Hmmm; interesting - and a significant number of posters here get all bent out of shape over any criticism of anything the current Argo "braintrust" does; wether it was Barker & Scotty or now Jimmy P and Trestman = how dare any of you know nothing fans dare question inscrutable football geniuses.

Simmons is IMO a typical clown, knows zip about sports (and football specifically) "journalist" of these times; good at sucking up to whatever flavor of the day the big-time major league sports world has to offer and he's ordered to talk about; and it's cool or fashionable in Toronnawannabeland to mock the CFL, so he jumps on the bandwagon there - has for years & years now - and if some just don't get that his type are a big part of the problem the Argos & CFL face in S. Ontario - ok/whatever. Good for Simmons though - just doin' his job; and just swell that he has Argo season tix (probably courtesy of his employer) - what a huge fan.