Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Yet, Argos still draw poorly on the weekends, when the gridlock is much less. Other Toronto teams still draw their fans, fans of all ages, from across the GTA, in spite of all this. Smaller crowds for weeknight games, perhaps, for many of the same reasons you mention but still better than the Argos manage. But it's not that the Argo fans aren't out there! Why do those fan bases attend games while the Argo fan base chooses to watch from home?
    True. But somehow Toronto seems to use Argo weekend games around Marathons and othe road closures. The explanation for the Leafs/Raptors attendance is pure corporate. How else could some afford $350 per ticket over 62 games. A lot are rotated over large corporate clients. TFC is the most comparable. Repeat fans, braving the worst traffic conditions Toronto now has to offer. I suspect Go is the preferable mode of transportation for their millennial fan base. The CFL older fanbase probably prefer the automobile mode of transportation and find that route more frustration.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don’t agree with this statement at all, BMO is actually easier to get to than Skydome.
    Go train to the Ex, 2 minute walk and your there, not so difficult.
    It depends on where you're coming from and how you get to the games.

The Rogers Centre is easier if you use the TTC as you can take the Subway.
    The Rogers Centre is easier to get to if you're taking the GO Train from the East.
    The Rogers Centre is easier if you're coming down the 404/DVP and across the Gardner or Lakeshore from the East.

BMO Field is easier if you're coming from the West.

For us it's easier and faster to get to the Rogers Centre.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

The Rogers Centre is easier to get to if you're taking the GO Train from the East.
    The Rogers Centre is easier if you're coming down the 404/DVP and across the Gardner or Lakeshore from the East.

Fair points Neely, east or west BMO is easier to get to for sure.
    I travel to the games from an hour west of Toronto with no issues, seems there is always an excuse as to why people can’t (or won’t) go to games.
    The on field product has been highly entertaining to watch this year, hopefully people wake up and start going to games!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Fair points Neely, east or west BMO is easier to get to for sure.
    I travel to the games from an hour west of Toronto with no issues, seems there is always an excuse as to why people can’t (or won’t) go to games.
    The on field product has been highly entertaining to watch this year, hopefully people wake up and start going to games!
    It really is a problem from the DVP north and 401 east. It's worth it to us to attend, so we'll adjust. Probably end up going the E407 to the 427 and get the advantages the BMO Field offers for those attending from the west. My son navigates with Google maps and alerts me of traffic issues on a real time basis.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

I come from the north of the city, and drive to every game. I only had issues once, and that was the Thursday night of Caibana weekend as there was an event at Lamport which called for reserved parking. It took me an extra 15 minutes to find a parking spot, and in the end, it was even closer to the stadium for $15, which is the most I paid for parking all season. Getting home was a breeze virtually every game, except for the CNE game, as I couldn't drive through the grounds to get on the Gardner east to the DVP, but as I mentioned, average of 40 minutes to get home from Liberty village to Bayview and 407 area.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I actually turned on the FC playoff game today. Great crowd but some of these soccer players should be embarrassed. Falling down as if shot when they are barely touched. I have seen 3 instances in less than one half of play. If that is part of the game than no thanks for me.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Okay now I'm confused. FC win game one 2-1. Red Buĺls win game 2, 1-0. Aggregate is 2-2 but FC win the series. ?????
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Okay now I'm confused. FC win game one 2-1. Red Buĺls win game 2, 1-0. Aggregate is 2-2 but FC win the series. ?????
    IIRC away goals are worth more and TFC won the first game which was away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Away goals count more. Same format, as long as I can remember, for Champions League Tournaments. Common in soccer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Aggregate means what?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Away goals count more. Same format, as long as I can remember, for Champions League Tournaments. Common in soccer.
    Thanks. I was going crazy trying to wrap my head around that. Still makes no sense IMO but if that is how it's done so be it. I hope they didn't tear up the field too bad today in the rain for the Argos. We might have some cramping on the field.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks. I was going crazy trying to wrap my head around that. Still makes no sense IMO but if that is how it's done so be it. I hope they didn't tear up the field too bad today in the rain for the Argos. We might have some cramping on the field.
    Duane Forde made a similar comment Friday night about the soccer team not tearing up the field for the Argo playoff game. Well said Duane!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I actually turned on the FC playoff game today. Great crowd but some of these soccer players should be embarrassed. Falling down as if shot when they are barely touched. I have seen 3 instances in less than one half of play. If that is part of the game than no thanks for me.
    Imagine if these 'world class athlete' soccer players had to get up from some of the hits Ricky Ray has taken? They wouldn't...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Imagine if these 'world class athlete' soccer players had to get up from some of the hits Ricky Ray has taken? They wouldn't...
    Well said. Taking such hits and then immediately playing at a high level.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I actually watched the majority of the game as my NFL point spread ticket was dead and none of the games really interested me today. The flopping is so embarrassing. The jock straps..er supporters throwing streamers while the opposing team is taking a corner is also ridiculous. The home team should be penalized in some sort of way when this happens.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Im an Argo season ticket holder and go to almost every game. While it is true that there are young families and even visible minorities there i have to say the biggest demographic there are white males 50-64 (i even sadly see many by themselves). At TFC home games the fans are younger and a healthy cross section from every ethnic group.

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    While TSNs coverage of the CFL is excellent if you were go outside TSN the coverage of the Argos is next to nil, and this is part of the problem. Ive noticed this over the last few years especially. The Argos get no mention on local radio or tv except TSN. This deal has in effect marginalized the league to one media source because in a sense they own the league with their 40 million dollar a year. On sports coverage on other radio and TV the argos are barely mentioned. Listened to 640 one Saturday afternoon on the QEW on my way to a 4 oclock Saturday tilt at BMO and the sports news started with of course the BJs, leafs, raptors, US college football scores (it was a Saturday) and even English Premier league soccer scores and did not even mention the Argos game at BMO!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I actually watched the majority of the game as my NFL point spread ticket was dead and none of the games really interested me today. The flopping is so embarrassing. The jock straps..er supporters throwing streamers while the opposing team is taking a corner is also ridiculous. The home team should be penalized in some sort of way when this happens.
    I played soccer as a kid and certainly appreciate the skill and fitness level required to play the sport, particularly at such a high level (though MLS is certainly, ahem, minor league in the world of soccer). The word embarrassing is an accurate one, though, to describe the behaviour of both the players, and often the fans. It's almost built into the culture of the sport to flip and flop as if you've just been shot. The refs have seen it all, so just play the game!! MLS has been, to their credit, good at marketing the 'experience', having all the trappings of European soccer (flags, flares, supporters groups, etc) and making the league the closest you will get to being at an actual European game. But why the idiotic boorishness, as well? If fans throw things at opponents, or today I saw stuff thrown at the ref, the home team must give up a free kick or something. As part of the opening ceremonies they had Wendel Clark on the field in a TFC jersey...Wendel F-ing Clark!! If there is any athlete who is the absolute antithesis of these soccer players it is him! Think of Wendel, then think of Giovinco...yup, embarrassing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    Im an Argo season ticket holder and go to almost every game. While it is true that there are young families and even visible minorities there i have to say the biggest demographic there are white males 50-64 (i even sadly see many by themselves). At TFC home games the fans are younger and a healthy cross section from every ethnic group.
    Yes, I have seen that, as well. Hey, I've been that guy a couple of times! Again, touching on the theme of this thread, it is not always easy to get someone to come down to the game if my buddy or I can't make it. We sit up in the $20 seats, so don't even charge anyone to come with us, just to use the ticket. But the casual fans among us don't even think of the Argos...but anyway...as a step to changing this state of affairs, let's do are utmost to fill BMO on the 19th. If every seat is filled, no one will be sitting alone, will they? Pull Together! Let's go Argos!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Apparently both teams engaged in a brawl in one of the stadium tunnels after the game. Lots of hair pulling and slapping I would think.