Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

(3downnation) rumour has it...

...that Speedy B has (understandably) stated he won't re-sign with Hamilton if Austin is still employed in any capacity by that organization.

Well, I'm posting this here, i.e., what could be an easier relocation than signing with the Double Blue, just down the QEW? That'd certainly be a win-win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    ...that Speedy B has (understandably) stated he won't re-sign with Hamilton if Austin is still employed in any capacity by that organization.

Well, I'm posting this here, i.e., what could be an easier relocation than signing with the Double Blue, just down the QEW? That'd certainly be a win-win.

He can stay in Hamilton IMO.

Gotta give the guy credit for his play under June Jones and getting a thousand yard season, but IMO Banks is not an everydown CFL receiver and has iffy at best hands - unless he would like to play a role as a wide-side WR who gets a few deep balls a game thrown his way; he got some good production this year because the new HC took a real liking to him, likes smurf type receivers, and is willing to target the guy 8 or more times a game with some deep & big play opportunity. Again - good for Banks, but IMO there are LOTS of receivers better than him and who would do way more given the opportunity Banks got with June Jones in charge. And Banks was once a scary dangerous return guy but seems to have basically totally lost it there (like Chris Williams did after one amazing return season). Runs scared on returns now - but lots of returners break the odd big one given tons of opportunity.

SO - Thanks, but no thanks to Speedy B joining the Argos - and the guy seems like a bit of a cry-baby and me first type; he has become a good fit in the June Jones offence there and it might be nice to see the Ticats re-build and get competitive again with Jones as the HC - wether Austin is there or not - sorry Banks, you can stay in the Hammer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    He can stay in Hamilton IMO.

Gotta give the guy credit for his play under June Jones and getting a thousand yard season, but IMO Banks is not an everydown CFL receiver and has iffy at best hands - unless he would like to play a role as a wide-side WR who gets a few deep balls a game thrown his way; he got some good production this year because the new HC took a real liking to him, likes smurf type receivers, and is willing to target the guy 8 or more times a game with some deep & big play opportunity. Again - good for Banks, but IMO there are LOTS of receivers better than him and who would do way more given the opportunity Banks got with June Jones in charge. And Banks was once a scary dangerous return guy but seems to have basically totally lost it there (like Chris Williams did after one amazing return season). Runs scared on returns now - but lots of returners break the odd big one given tons of opportunity.

SO - Thanks, but no thanks to Speedy B joining the Argos - and the guy seems like a bit of a cry-baby and me first type; he has become a good fit in the June Jones offence there and it might be nice to see the Ticats re-build and get competitive again with Jones as the HC - wether Austin is there or not - sorry Banks, you can stay in the Hammer.
    I agree with you OV. I don't want a guy like that on my team, and I can guarantee neither does Trestman. Trestman wants to surround himself with good people, and not primadonnas.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    No thanks to Banks.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Glad to see Banks do well but I agree with others I don't want him on my team. Maybe Chirs Jones would like him.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post

I like Speedy but I also like all of our guys. Better he goes somewhere else

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with you OV. I don't want a guy like that on my team, and I can guarantee neither does Trestman. Trestman wants to surround himself with good people, and not primadonnas.
    IF the Argos had basically nothing at either receiver or returner, I would welcome Banks, but with the warning we won't take any of your crying and acting. He could help a team in need. He has great speed and some skills for sure. So do tons of receivers out there - and more receiver specific skills than just speed.

But just who would Banks replace and be an upgrade on in the current Argo top 4 receivers (Green, Edwards, Posey, Coombs let's say) ? I guess some would argue that Banks' 1000 yard season this year shows more than the last 3 of those Argos? - but stats don't tell the real story there, and all those Argo receivers have more talent than Banks IMO - who had some ugly glaring drops on balls right in his hands this year, and again, is often whining or complaining. He did well in that June Jones offence though - he's a fit there, and he should stay there. And i would love to see Kenty (&Tillspin) get punted wayyyyyyyy out of town there if that makes Speedy B happy ;o). Be good for the Ticats, but not sure Caretaker Bob-O has any clue about football.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Best thing about this report was Bob Young's response to Drew "Big Homer" Edwards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Best thing about this report was Bob Young's response to Drew "Big Homer" Edwards.
    Not surprisingly, I completely disagree. Young said some of his own players were "cowardly," then tried to suggest he had never said they were cowardly and in fact all Ticats are "brave." He really put his foot in his mouth on that.

He also suggested Edwards was "naïve," presumably for reporting what players told him. Young didn't deny the accuracy of the reporting but instead chose to take a personal shot at a reporter who has been on the Ticats beat for something like seven years and was doing his job of finding and reporting relevant information.

Young also said (without evidence) that only "one, maybe two" Ticats had spoken to Edwards. The story had made clear it was more than that.

Young has done a lot of great things for the Ticats and the CFL over the years, but this was a huge mistake and it appears he's going to compound it by retaining both Mitchell and Austin.

As for "big homer" Edwards, how on earth do you square that allegation with yesterday's report? Would a "homer" report that some players are refusing to play for the current management?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I never viewed Edwards as a big homer aside from the aftermath of the Toronto-Hamilton game on September 30.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No thanks to Banks.
    No need for a survey or poll on this question. We all seem to be in agreement here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Not surprisingly, I completely disagree. Young said some of his own players were "cowardly," then tried to suggest he had never said they were cowardly and in fact all Ticats are "brave." He really put his foot in his mouth on that.

He also suggested Edwards was "naïve," presumably for reporting what players told him. Young didn't deny the accuracy of the reporting but instead chose to take a personal shot at a reporter who has been on the Ticats beat for something like seven years and was doing his job of finding and reporting relevant information.

Young also said (without evidence) that only "one, maybe two" Ticats had spoken to Edwards. The story had made clear it was more than that.

Young has done a lot of great things for the Ticats and the CFL over the years, but this was a huge mistake and it appears he's going to compound it by retaining both Mitchell and Austin.

As for "big homer" Edwards, how on earth do you square that allegation with yesterday's report? Would a "homer" report that some players are refusing to play for the current management?
    I can't say that I exactly agree with Young's words but from a non-Ticat fans POV, it was an interesting and entertaining thread to read/follow. I thought it was funny to see. That being said, can't say I'm a huge fan of his, which is why I chuckled. I do know former contributors who worked with him in the past that do not like him for various reasons. And can't say I'm a fan of 3DN's articles either.

Also, the homer comment was more tongue-in-cheek but Edwards has no doubt been crying foul about how the Argos beat Hamilton but his criticism isn't consistent when Hamilton gets an 'advantage' over other teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm not a fan of his Bank's baby personality, so it would be a no for me, especially since I don't think he's that good of a receiver, and seems to have lost his kick returning excitement. Collaros is the guy I'd look at coming out of Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    No thanks to Banks. As for Edwards, you didn't have to read the article to know how bad things were in Hamilton. Anyone could see it. Condell and Steinauer leave and it was reported multiple times that they were buffers between Austin and the players. So the beat down in Calgary was obvious the players quit on Austin.
    If they do keep Austin and also keep Jones as HC with full control over the players, they will come out of this. BUT if Jones leaves they are in deep trouble.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    No thanks to Banks. As for Edwards, you didn't have to read the article to know how bad things were in Hamilton. Anyone could see it. Condell and Steinauer leave and it was reported multiple times that they were buffers between Austin and the players. So the beat down in Calgary was obvious the players quit on Austin.
    If they do keep Austin and also keep Jones as HC with full control over the players, they will come out of this. BUT if Jones leaves they are in deep trouble.
    Totally agree. This has been brewing for months. I have predicted this for over a year and couldn't believe how long Austin lasted as coach. He's too arrogant and not a player coach. Not surprising players want to get rid of him completely. It's also strange the head coach is negotiating with the President. Not surprising that the hands off owner stays by the people that have him fooled. Why listen to your workers/players?

All I can think of is a similar situation at a company I worked for. Management was put in charge by the owner. Despite their failures and the continued departures of other key management, the owner stayed course. Even when actual field employees were leaving and threatened to leave, the owner stayed by his management. The company now ceases to exist as everyone eventually bailed. Happens in sports too.

Drew Edwards is a huge homer. I must give him credit for writing a story that was presented to him. Showed some balls in that small circle in Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I really don't care for stories where the info comes from unnamed sources. Unnamed sources told 3DN that Duron Carter would not play another game for the Riders.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Totally agree. This has been brewing for months. I have predicted this for over a year and couldn't believe how long Austin lasted as coach. He's too arrogant and not a player coach. Not surprising players want to get rid of him completely. It's also strange the head coach is negotiating with the President. Not surprising that the hands off owner stays by the people that have him fooled. Why listen to your workers/players?

All I can think of is a similar situation at a company I worked for. Management was put in charge by the owner. Despite their failures and the continued departures of other key management, the owner stayed course. Even when actual field employees were leaving and threatened to leave, the owner stayed by his management. The company now ceases to exist as everyone eventually bailed. Happens in sports too.

Drew Edwards is a huge homer. I must give him credit for writing a story that was presented to him. Showed some balls in that small circle in Hamilton.
    As we sports fans all know; Coaches (even good ones) only have so long until till they lose that room. Kent Austin types go even quicker. His types just make coming to work sore everyday.....harder.

Milanovich is a good coach but it was time for him to move along too.

As for CFL journalists, who doesn't get that the hometown bloggers and sports writers assigned to cover a beat, don't have a slant?

Take it with a grain of salt, or simply risk not knowing.

Put it this way; would you rather take your news from some blowhard on Twitter (or a fan board) or from a guy who knows every one of the 50 guys on the team and the whole Coaching Staff and talks, drinks, and eats with every single one of those guys from June until November?

I don't get the juvenile disdain (especially the vitriol on Twitter). I see the paradox of Argo fans who moan about lack of attention and then bitch about the 1 or 2 guys who actually give a shit.

It's rich, and it's tiresome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    As we sports fans all know; Coaches (even good ones) only have so long until till they lose that room. Kent Austin types go even quicker. His types just make coming to work sore everyday.....harder.

Milanovich is a good coach but it was time for him to move along too.

As for CFL journalists, who doesn't get that the hometown bloggers and sports writers assigned to cover a beat, don't have a slant?

Take it with a grain of salt, or simply risk not knowing.

Put it this way; would you rather take your news from some blowhard on Twitter (or a fan board) or from a guy who knows every one of the 50 guys on the team and the whole Coaching Staff and talks, drinks, and eats with every single one of those guys from June until November?

I don't get the juvenile disdain (especially the vitriol on Twitter). I see the paradox of Argo fans who moan about lack of attention and then bitch about the 1 or 2 guys who actually give a shit.

It's rich, and it's tiresome.

Agree with most of what you said. Not about Millanovich though - the good coach part anyways ;o)

However - with regards to opinions or observations or criticism about a football team - I'll gladly listen to a knowledgeable, long-time fan commenting on a fan board who I know isn't a "blowhard" over 97% of the CFL journalists out there - a lot of whom never played the game and are just gullibles who get sold stuff by team shills or hangers-on types and dutifully report it as gospel and seem afraid to make an individual observation about the game or team of their own. There are exceptions of course (like Mike Hogan or Duane Forde, for example IMO). Not sure how many fan boards you peruse, but if you check out a number of them, and are able to wade thru plenty of drivel & homer garbage, you will find many sharp, knowledgeable, devoted football fans who know wayyyyyy more about the game. league or team than your average paid "reporter/journalist". Just IMO of course. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Agree with most of what you said. Not about Millanovich though - the good coach part anyways ;o)

However - with regards to opinions or observations or criticism about a football team - I'll gladly listen to a knowledgeable, long-time fan commenting on a fan board who I know isn't a "blowhard" over 97% of the CFL journalists out there - a lot of whom never played the game and are just gullibles who get sold stuff by team shills or hangers-on types and dutifully report it as gospel and seem afraid to make an individual observation about the game or team of their own. There are exceptions of course (like Mike Hogan or Duane Forde, for example IMO). Not sure how many fan boards you peruse, but if you check out a number of them, and are able to wade thru plenty of drivel & homer garbage, you will find many sharp, knowledgeable, devoted football fans who know wayyyyyy more about the game. league or team than your average paid "reporter/journalist". Just IMO of course. ;o)

Yes, and I agree. I have been a member of a Bruins fans board (with Neely) for almost 20 years and there are a handful of people that I now know personally whom I run into when they are in Ottawa for Bruins/Leafs games, etc. I have 'met' other members of the media, or these knowledgeable fans (now in some cases bloggers) before games. So your point is well taken. And it does take a great deal of sifting. But I think the old axiom "don't shoot the messenger" comes to play here. Also, there's the human factor that so many on social media have completely forgotten (it can be an utter cesspool) take a moment to understand that people are dutifully doing their jobs to put food on the table for their families. And sometimes not a lot of food! It is more passion, than bread usually.

I look at it this way. I grew up having to read the Brantford Expositor as a kid, every day from the age of 12 on. It wasn't the best paper in the world, but was it worth it? Yes, in fact it was not only worth it, but it was ultimately essential for me.

Also don't discount what guys like Frank Z. (for example) pick up just being around these guys 2-3 times a week. They see many things that they don't report on, but it shows up in context later on.

We ought to encourage information and people making the effort to provide it, especially in regards to the CFL/Toronto.