Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Even if they sell it out, next year we're back to 15000. That's why, long term the crowd is irrelevant. Attending Argos games just isn't a priority in this city. We have a strong fanbase, just not one that feels motivated to come out, for a variety of reasons.
    But it will be nice to experience a packed house for football at BMO. It's an eastern final, I'm really optimistic itll be full, or at least feel full.
    I think a sellout could have a bit more spillover effect next year. I have friends buying tickets for the Eastern Final because I got them out to a regular season game this year. A sellout experience can lead them to come to an extra game next year or bring a friend themselves. Baby steps, but any extra bum in the seat makes a difference.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I think a sellout could have a bit more spillover effect next year. I have friends buying tickets for the Eastern Final because I got them out to a regular season game this year. A sellout experience can lead them to come to an extra game next year or bring a friend themselves. Baby steps, but any extra bum in the seat makes a difference.
    I agree fully, I got twenty coming to the game, most of these people are coming because they either had a great time coming to a game I brought them to this year or heard how much fun the tailgate and BMO field are. A loud sell out crowd will only help them enjoy themselves and encourage them to come out more. I always ask people I take if they had more fun then an average Jays game and they always answer yes. It's about convincing the casual sports fan, that might go to a couple Jays games a year to have a few beers and have a day out with friends that going to one or two Argos games a year might be the more fun option.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobythor View Post
    I agree fully, I got twenty coming to the game, most of these people are coming because they either had a great time coming to a game I brought them to this year or heard how much fun the tailgate and BMO field are. A loud sell out crowd will only help them enjoy themselves and encourage them to come out more. I always ask people I take if they had more fun then an average Jays game and they always answer yes. It's about convincing the casual sports fan, that might go to a couple Jays games a year to have a few beers and have a day out with friends that going to one or two Argos games a year might be the more fun option.
    Agreed. There is absolutely no comparison between a Jays game and an Argo game...Argos are superior in in-game presentation, value for dollar, atmosphere (despite crowd size differences). In fact, taking ticket prices ($175/ticket for a Green) into consideration, Argos have it over the Leafs, as well..certainly for a family on any sort of budget.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Even if they sell it out, next year we're back to 15000. That's why, long term the crowd is irrelevant. Attending Argos games just isn't a priority in this city. We have a strong fanbase, just not one that feels motivated to come out, for a variety of reasons.
    But it will be nice to experience a packed house for football at BMO. It's an eastern final, I'm really optimistic itll be full, or at least feel full.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Both points have some validity. There could be a limited increase in next year's attendance from a sellout or a near sellout that helped build a vibrant atmosphere.
    However, the biggest sports event in the world, the Olympics, with more exposure than any single sport can deliver does not result in large increases in most of its sports' recognition or attendance long-term because in most cases the hype of those sports and their stars during the Olympics does not last. In most cases, six months later people cannot remember the names of the athletes that they were highly impressed by during the Olympics if they did not already closely follow those sport or their names were not repeated on an ongoing basis in the media.
    What works is ongoing regular media attention involving a sense of excitement and expectation of success. I love the increased media effort the Argos have put out for the finals, but unless it is sustained long term, it will at best make only a temporary difference.