Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    These polls don't mean a lot, especially since it's an "on-line" poll of 400 residents. 27% say they follow the CFL? that's pretty low, the people that say they would attend a game probably don't know the price of an average ticket either.

The big obstacle is the stadium, there is very little chance that the Region would put up the $200 million or so for a stadium.
    Even if the investors came up with half the money, $100 Million or so is not going to happen.
    The Region would also want a commitment for season ticket sales before they funded it.
    I think the size of Halifax would be suitable for a NASL soccer or Canadian soccer franchise with attendance of 6k to 9k.
    Too bad but I don't think the CFL will ever happen in Halifax.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    These polls don't mean a lot, especially since it's an "on-line" poll of 400 residents. 27% say they follow the CFL? that's pretty low, the people that say they would attend a game probably don't know the price of an average ticket either.

The big obstacle is the stadium, there is very little chance that the Region would put up the $200 million or so for a stadium.
    Even if the investors came up with half the money, $100 Million or so is not going to happen.
    The Region would also want a commitment for season ticket sales before they funded it.
    I think the size of Halifax would be suitable for a NASL soccer or Canadian soccer franchise with attendance of 6k to 9k.
    I don't know if it will ever happen but getting a franchise will be an uphill climb. Even Ottawa, with its long football history, encountered strong opposition, especially from the residents in the immediate vicinity of the proposed new stadium. It took a lot of work, a well laid out plan that included many facilities beyond the stadium, experience in running franchises in other sports, and working past several delays to get the franchise and stadium up and running.
    I agree the poll does not mean a lot, especially when many people have just heard about the issue as opinions can be more easily swayed then. However, there are some warnings in the data. Support is weakest among those 55+. Why is that important? Because they vote at 80%+ levels, while the strongest supporters are 18-34, of whom more than one third rarely vote. Politicians know this and act accordingly. Furthermore, Halifax has a high proportion of elderly, the least favourable group, as the young tend to leave for jobs and better pay elsewhere. Even with the support of some political leader(s), other(s) may see an opportunity to build their political career by opposing the stadium on cost and neighbourhood effects. The elderly, many of whom live on fixed incomes, usually like to keep taxes low, and if municipal taxes are used to pay for the stadium, they are the ones most likely to balk as they are more likely to pay property taxes, since they are most likely to own homes. They also have long memories that recall the many cost overruns associated with stadiums, such as the 1976 Olympic Stadium in Montreal that wasn't paid off until the early 2000's.
    Getting the franchise is possible but the owners' group will need the skills and determination that led to football coming back to Ottawa and some luck in terms of how effective their opponents are.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I don't know if it will ever happen but getting a franchise will be an uphill climb. Even Ottawa, with its long football history, encountered strong opposition, especially from the residents in the immediate vicinity of the proposed new stadium. It took a lot of work, a well laid out plan that included many facilities beyond the stadium, experience in running franchises in other sports, and working past several delays to get the franchise and stadium up and running.

Getting the franchise is possible but the owners' group will need the skills and determination that led to football coming back to Ottawa and some luck in terms of how effective their opponents are.
    Unlike Ottawa, there has been very little opposition to this project, in fact, none, that has been organized AFAIK. Unlike Calgary, everyone is getting on and just slowly moving along. The mayor is cautiously optimistic and supportive without commitment, the way he should be.

The fact that the city does not have a decent sized venue may also come into play and also there is no decent venue for either SMU (seats 1100) or Dal football, field hockey, lacrosse, rugby and soccer teams

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post

Why do I get that distinct feeling that you are one of our special CFL "friends" that post here from time to time? Soccer will always succeed but CFL hasn't got a chance.