Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    ^'Defining moment': CFL commissioner sparks expansion hope in Halifax
    Randy Ambrosie says it’s the unfilled part of national dream
    Devin Heroux, CBC Sports Nov 25, 2017

And now on this go-around, it appears the Schooners name is still as popular as ever.

"The original thought process is we'll do what the Schooners did back in the early '80s and that was go to the people in the Atlantic provinces and find out what people want to call it," LeBlanc said."If the early feedback is any indication it's going to be tough to see it being anything other than Schooners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    [And now on this go-around, it appears the Schooners name is still as popular as ever.

"The original thought process is we'll do what the Schooners did back in the early '80s and that was go to the people in the Atlantic provinces and find out what people want to call it," LeBlanc said."If the early feedback is any indication it's going to be tough to see it being anything other than Schooners.
    Ugh. not as bad as REDBLACKS, but close IMO. Not a fan of LeBlanc, but I hope he and the other investors come up with something new and considerably more interesting (team colours included).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Schooners is fine with me (bit of a clash or maybe a friendly competition with the mighty ship Argo !;o) ); but I hope they call them the Atlantic what-evers rather than Halifax ***** - just like the Riders are the Saskatchewan Roughriders- representing the whole province (and not called the Regina Riders).

And even if they get a cosy new stadium (modest cost model like in the Hammer ?). I still say they should play one game a year at the facility in Moncton - to help spread the feel of a Maritimes team.

Again - IMO - this is the single biggest thing the CFL could pull-off to build/improve - a 10th team in Atlantic Canada to give a cross country feel to the league and to finally expand (rather than stay same old or else go backwards with a team folding like in the past) And a 10 team league with an extra game per week on the sched. would be huge for profile/interest (say a Thurday nigher, a Friday nighter with some doubleheaders there, and then games on the weekend - CFL games could be on 4 days a week for some or all of the sched), IMO. Gotta work on a way better TV deal for next time - with a 2nd broadcast partner a good idea IMO.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Schooners is fine with me but I hope they call them the Atlantic what-evers rather than Halifax ***** - just like the Riders are the Saskatchewan Roughriders- representing the whole province.

I still say they should play one game a year at the facility in Moncton - to help spread the feel of a Maritimes team.
    Thy will, will be done They would have to incur some costs playing in Moncton to temporarily expand the stadium unless they only played pre season games there which might be a better idea.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't know why you would change a name that has history (and branding), works on all levels within the region, was chosen by the people once (and may again) and polling suggests is still popular. It would be inane to change that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't know why you would change a name that has history (and branding), works on all levels within the region, was chosen by the people once (and may again) and polling suggests is still popular. It would be inane to change that.
    Lots of reason IMO. Let's take out that I think "Schooners" is a silly name, and look at it objectively...........

- The potential owners have stated that they want a name that represents all the Atlantic, now that could just mean they want "Atlantic whatevers" vs. "Halifax whatevers", but the Schooners name doesn't really represent the whole of Atlantic Canada, as ships have been primarily built in Halifax/Nova Scotia since the 1800's. (1798 was the earliest year I found)

- We already have a team that has ties to boats, ships, etc.

- If they were to use the current logo, they'd be the 3rd team in the East to have the letter A as part of there logo. It's a currently 9 team league, some originality should be required.

- Team colours : I've seen three different set ups as of right now. Bombers Navy Blue and Gold, a black and white combo, and a Dallas Cowboys looking entry. Again, small league, so copying another team's colours, or going with black as the primary or secondary isn't unique or original when 4 other current CFL teams use black.

All I'd like to see is something original and unique, that will bring the region together, the Atlantic Schooners are a team that never was, maybe it should be left that way, and the potential Owners create something new that sticks and actually not only represents all of Atlantic Canada, but sticks and connects with the Region.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-27-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    but the Schooners name doesn't really represent the whole of Atlantic Canada, as ships have been primarily built in Halifax/Nova Scotia since the 1700's.
    Think you better check your history there.

You may think it's a silly name but it's what the people wanted and polling is telling the ownership group it is what they still want. Do you want them to pick a name that means nothing to the area like let's say Raptors? How about Atlantic Justice League? Is that in the theatres now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Do you want them to pick a name that means nothing to the area like let's say Raptors?
    Raptors has meaning in the area. Everyone here knows if you go to High Park you better keep out of the long grass.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    "...the Atlantic Schooners are a team that never was, maybe it should be left that way..."
    Well said.

I'd like to see every grade schooler across the four provinces submit a name. Ships, dinosaurs, who cares. I'd like to see naming debates in pubs, and barber shops, and city councils. Atlantic graphic designers should be asked to submit colours and designs. Naming a team is half the fun of getting one and in this case it might be a really important part of creating a regional footprint.

If after all of this is done the Schooners name remains the most popular then so be it. But let's be honest: people are really attached to Schooners because of long-term fans' nostalgia at seeing the name at Grey Cup parties. That's understandable but also reductive and could spike the opportunity for something new and fun.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess if you CFA you don't get it. I would think people from Toronto would understand when they have a team with a 144 year history and more than enough people who would have no problem throwing that history away. The name fits, people like it, it has history and you can't buy that. There has never been any sizeable group in the Maritimes (to my knowledge) who have objected to the name. Maritimers aren't so vacuous that they pick a team name after "characters" in a recent movie. They are proud of their history and cling to it and usually don't give in to the latest trend. Let's give a little credit here.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-27-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    It does appear to be a very serious group, I still like my Atlantic Storm name.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://3downnation.com/2017/12/12/at...re-registered/

Looks like it's getting serious. Still wish they would choose a better name, and had other individuals involved with Ownership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Branding Branding Branding.

Atlantic Schooners is a name that already resonates in the region. Look no futher than the fan group that attends the Grey Cup every year.

Those who don't like the name will get used to it. Many laughed their behinds off when Toronto's NBA was announced as the Raptors. Years later it stuck and now there is a generation who would not know it as anything else

Atlantic Schooners it shall be....should it happen....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Been talk for years about the Raps changing their name, and was seriously looked at when Leiweke was around.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Branding Branding Branding.

Atlantic Schooners is a name that already resonates in the region. Look no futher than the fan group that attends the Grey Cup every year.

Those who don't like the name will get used to it. Many laughed their behinds off when Toronto's NBA was announced as the Raptors. Years later it stuck and now there is a generation who would not know it as anything else

Atlantic Schooners it shall be....should it happen....
    I think it will be the Schooners. They already have had a fan club going for years, and I don't think the name offends any group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    At least 3DownNation had the decency to acknowledge that the first report on this brand name came from none other than our own Steve Hayman. In contrast to other news sources that credited themselves as "learning" this.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    At least 3DownNation had the decency to acknowledge that the first report on this brand name came from none other than our own Steve Hayman. In contrast to other news sources that credited themselves as "learning" this.
    It was fun watching this story develop. Anybody can search the Canadian trademark database at http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/home - you can search for something specific like "Atlantic Schooners", or even something vague like "Halifax and Football" and see what shows up.

A month ago when I heard there was this new Atlantic interest, I took a look to see the status of the 'Atlantic Schooners' trademark. As of a few weeks ago it was listed as registered in 1982 by the original group, but now abandoned - but I took another look on Sunday night (I must admit, I had no idea if this was practical but I had this vague idea of trying to register it myself and giving it to the CFL just to keep it out of the hands of some speculator) and whaddya know, it's suddenly been registered by "3312738 Nova Scotia Limited". Searching another public database of Nova Scotia corporations (https://rjsc.gov.ns.ca/rjsc/search/inquiry.do) you can see that that company is "Maritime Football Limited", incorporated Nov. 28, complete with a list of directors (including that guy from the Arizona Coyotes.)

I tweeted about this and sat back to see what happened - and a few friends retweeted it (thanks paul), then @CFL_News retweeted it, and @3DownNation wrote about it, and then boom, Global Halifax covered it, CBC reports it, and Dave Naylor was talking about it on TSN and it was briefly a top-10 trending-in-Canada twitter topic. That was cool.

There's tons of neat trivia you can learn from the trademark db. Current and abandoned trademarks are all there. For instance, the CFL owns "Ottawa Rough Riders". The CBC owns "Football Day in Canada". FIFA owns "Canada 2026". Somebody in 1998 registered "Le National de Québec" as a football team name. The former NBA Vancouver Grizzlies also registered "Toronto Grizzlies". Team names like "Toronto Tomahawks", "Toronto Bobcats", "Toronto Rex", "Toronto Razors/Terriers/Destroyers/Tarantulas/Thunder" and many more all show up. Most long abandoned. But "Toronto Buffalo" was registered in 2014 by "Fourth And Goal Inc" of Los Angeles for "entertainment services in the form of professional football games and exhibitions". Since abandoned. Hmm.

And I bet if the Edmonton Eskimos get pressured to change their name, you'll find out what they're thinking of by checking the trademark DB.
    Last edited by shayman; 12-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Couple of interesting points from this story from last week

Bid for Halifax CFL team steams ahead with Atlantic Schooners trademark
    Group behind franchise push registers name
    CBC News Dec 13, 2017

A proposed CFL franchise for Halifax continues to gain momentum, with the group behind it trademarking the name Atlantic Schooners.

The trademark was formalized on Dec. 1 and gives the proponents the sole right to use of the team name on a long list of souvenirs and others items, ranging from licence-plate holders to golf umbrellas and even Christmas ornaments.

Included on the list, according to online records, is "wholesale and retail sales of sporting goods, athletic and casual clothing, and novelty items; online retail sale of sporting goods, athletic and casual clothing and novelty items."

Anthony Leblanc, who is part of the group trying to bring a team to Halifax, told TSN the trademark was registered "just for safety, just in case we want that name," but there's still a long way to go before a name is selected.

"We're going through the process now of testing certain names in the market by doing some polling," he told TSN. "What I'd like to do is a name-the-team contest where everyone can be engaged. But based on the feedback I'm hearing today it's going to be tough to go with anything but Schooners because that seems to be about 5-to-1 [in favour]."

LeBlanc, a New Brunswick native who is former president and CEO of the NHL's Arizona Coyotes, is listed as president and CEO of newly registered Maritime Football Ltd., the company that applied for the trademark.

Gary Drummond, the Coyotes's former president of hockey operations, is listed as the vice-president and a director of the proposed franchise. LeBlanc and Drummond left the Coyotes when the team went through a front-office makeover in June.

Bruce Bowser, president of AMJ Campbell Van Lines, is listed as director and secretary.

The trademark documents also deal with copyright protection relating to "broadcasting and re-broadcasting of football games through television, streaming services, satellite, radio and the internet."

The Canadian Football League currently has nine teams, five in the West division and four in the East division. It was revealed just prior to the Grey Cup game in Ottawa that the investor group had met with Halifax council to discuss a franchise coming to the city.

Halifax currently has no stadium for a pro football team to play in.

Canadian beer giant Labatt, which makes Schooner beer, has not been involved with Maritime Football Ltd.'s trademark process, but said it could become a partner down the road if the franchise takes flight.

"If a team came, and they had a stadium to play in, our likely approach would be to try and secure pouring rights in the building," said Wade Keller, the Atlantic Canada director of corporate affairs for Labatt Breweries of Canada.

"We could sponsor certain events at games, or even an entire game, but we leave team ownership to others."

Last edited by rdavies; 12-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Great summary of your investigative work, Steve Hayman. You shoulda been a reporter!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL in Halifax: A gamble with lots of field to cover
    FRANCIS CAMPBELL The Chronicle Herald December 28, 2017

This is part one of a series on the possibility of a CFL franchise in Halifax.

PART TWO: Stadium talk dominates CFL expansion discussion

Third down and long.

Sports fans could not be blamed for ascribing those odds to a Canadian Football League expansion franchise in Halifax.

Jaded by past failure and sporadic expansion chatter that hasn’t gone anywhere, local fans might be too hasty in relegating the latest CFL expansion bid to the improbable bin.

“We feel that the odds are better than not,” said a guarded Anthony LeBlanc, one of three businessmen who front a company that is keen on pushing CFL expansion to the Maritimes over the goal-line this time around.

“There is a lot of work that needs to be done. We are taking a sizeable financial risk on our part. Business is a deal of risk-reward. We are certainly not at that point that anybody is saying this is approved and it’s moving forward.”

The New Brunswick-born LeBlanc was a longtime executive with Research in Motion and is the former president and chief executive of the Arizona Coyotes of the National Hockey League. Sharing the bulk of the initial financial risk with LeBlanc are Maritime Football Ltd. co-owners Bruce Bowser, a Halifax native who is president of AMJ Campbell Van Lines, and Gary Drummond, a businessman from Regina who was president of hockey operations with the Coyotes during LeBlanc’s tenure there.

The group had recent meetings with new CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie and the league’s board of governors, and an in-camera session with Mayor Mike Savage and the Halifax Regional Municipality’s city council.

“What we wanted this group to know is that we are very interested and excited about the opportunity to bring the Maritimes, the Atlantic region, into the Canadian Football League family,” said Ambrosie, an offensive guard for three CFL teams who was installed as the league’s 14th commissioner in July.

“We will support them to the very best of our abilities while recognizing that they have to drive the bus and, from time to time, we have to get out and push a little to help them move this along.”

If anyone is going to drive a CFL franchise into Halifax, they will require a stadium in which to park it. The lack of a stadium was the stumbling block after a group called the Maritime Professional Football Club Ltd. was granted a conditional expansion franchise in 1982.

That team, officially named the Atlantic Schooners, was to begin play in the 1984 season, but the ownership group was not able to meet the deadline with a financial plan for a necessary $6-million stadium slated to be built in Dartmouth. The franchise bid was withdrawn in 1983.

“The elephant in the room is the stadium,” said LeBlanc, who estimated a facility with a capacity of somewhere in the vicinity of 25,000 would be required.

Ambrosie said the league is committed to collaborating with the ownership group as “they work through a process of working with the city, the province and perhaps the federal government on a facility.”

“Obviously, that is the big question that has to get answered,” Ambrosie said.

But it doesn’t appear as if much of the funding will be coming from public coffers.

“There has always been mixed feelings on the idea of a stadium and even a CFL team,” Savage said. “Interestingly enough, when this one surfaced, many people, including people on council who had been skeptical, said this deserves a chance.

“I think there is a lot of potential for a team and a stadium here, but I don’t think there is much appetite on council for something that we have to sink a lot of capital dollars into right up front. We need to be a little more creative than that. That’s what I have told the (ownership group) and they are working on that.”

LeBlanc said the ownership group has commissioned Deloitte Halifax to prepare a third-party analysis of the benefits a stadium could bring to the city and province.

“We’re being very, very thoughtful in our approach with the city and the province in trying to construct a true public-private partnership,” LeBlanc said. “It’s not just a CFL stadium; it will be a multi-use stadium.”

Potential locations bandied about include Bayers Lake Business Park, the former Shannon Park military community on the Dartmouth side of the MacKay bridge, a Dartmouth Crossing site, and property that is part of the Halifax Commons.

“I think there are a lot of football fans in HRM and I think there are a lot of concert fans in HRM,” Savage said. “I think there are a lot of people who would come to different types of sporting events. By and large, the support could come from here, but I think you do need to supplement that with interest from around the region. It’s there as well.”

Rick Rivers has long been involved in coaching and administration of minor football at the provincial and national level.

“I think there are enough (fans) to make it a go,” he said of a potential CFL expansion franchise. “I think there has to be a starting point. I’ve watched football grow here since I came here in 1969. . . . I think it should definitely have a Maritime flavour because we want to get the people from New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.”

Jeff Cummins, the head football coach at Acadia University for the past 14 seasons, is not convinced of the viability of the CFL in Halifax.

“It would be great, but I don’t know how real it is,” Cummins said.

“There is no stadium and I don’t think there is an appetite from the public to build one. It’s not that people are clamouring for football in the Maritimes. It’s not like people are screaming and yelling that they want football. My concern is the support and, do they find it.”

Ambrosie said the expansion bid is in its infancy, but he remains optimistic.

LeBlanc said in addition to hiring Deloitte and legal representation from McInnes Cooper in Halifax, the ownership group engaged Corporate Research Associates to do detailed polling.

“The results that came back were really positive, that people want to go to a game,” he said.

Earlier this month, the legal team secured the trademark name Atlantic Schooners. The trademark provides Maritime Football Ltd. with control over intellectual property associated with the Schooners name, such as licence plate holders, athletic wear and football figurines.

LeBlanc said the trademark was acquired in case the ownership group decided to use it in future.

“We are getting to the point where we’re ready to spend real money, when you are bringing in companies like Deloitte, law firms, when you are doing serious government relations,” LeBlanc said.

“We at least have the level of comfort that we know we are doing this with 100-per-cent risk of our own personal investment to keep this thing moving along and we continue to do so.”

The best-case scenario would have the league grant the ownership group a conditional franchise as early as next year, with an expansion team on a new stadium field in the Halifax area by the 2020 or 2021 season.

LeBlanc was circumspect when asked about the likelihood of that happening.

“It is so difficult to say. Some days, I feel it’s 100 per cent. Some days, I feel it’s 50 per cent.”