Level

Group makes ‘very credible’ pitch for Halifax CFL franchise

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Pointman. Anthony Leblanc, former President, CEO and part owner of the Arizona Coyotes. Former co-owner Gary Drummond also an investor.

These guys didn't have the scratch to own the Coyotes even with a generous subsidy from Glendale and was still very highly leveraged.

Mind you they got bought out by Andrew Barroway (or his bank) over the summer so perhaps a CFL franchise is in their pay grade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Here we grow again. A 10 team league is ideal. Keep divisional crossover. 4th place team with better record than 3rd place team. You play a home and away game with each team. Your rivalry games really mean something.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Here we grow again. A 10 team league is ideal. Keep divisional crossover. 4th place team with better record than 3rd place team. You play a home and away game with each team. Your rivalry games really mean something.
    Very encouraging news.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's the league's official response:

“We can confirm the CFL has had discussions with a group interested in securing a Canadian Football League franchise for the city of Halifax. While this group has been professional, enthusiastic and impressive, these conversations are relatively new and a very thorough process of due diligence must be put in place and completed before we can fully assess the viability of the project. We want to publicly thank this group for its passion for the CFL and we thank the members of the media for their interest.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/16/cfl-re...nsion-halifax/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The big question is whether they and/or the city can build a stadium.
    However, it's great news as long as they don't name the team the Atlantic Schooners, as in J I Albrecht's 1982 Halifax team proposal. I don't need any reminders of his time with the Argos.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    ... A 10 team league is ideal. Keep divisional crossover... You play a home and away game with each team...
    If there's a league with ten teams and an 18 game schedule where all the teams play each other twice a year, isn't that just a single ten-team league with no divisions?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.C. View Post
    If there's a league with ten teams and an 18 game schedule where all the teams play each other twice a year, isn't that just a single ten-team league with no divisions?
    Maintain the divisions and the playoff crossover. The likelihood of a weak team in the playoffs becomes much less. Interlocking schedule eliminates playing on anything less than 6 days rest.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My point is that, in a league that supposedly has separate divisions and gives first round playoff byes to the division winners, part of that type of arrangement is having an unbalanced schedule. They could no longer realistically get away with pretending to have separate divisions if every team in the league is playing each other the same number of times. It would be difficult to justify arbitrarily designating the team that was in 4th or 5th place in the 10-team league to inexplicably be a "division winner" and give them a first round playoff bye and then a home game in the league's semi-final.
    Last edited by S.A.C.; 11-17-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    My point is that, in a league that supposedly has separate divisions and gives first round playoff byes to the division winners, part of that type of arrangement is having an unbalanced schedule. They could no longer realistically get away with pretending to have separate divisions if every team in the league is playing each other the same number of times. It would be difficult to justify arbitrarily designating the team that was in 4th or 5th place in the 10-team league to inexplicably be a "division winner" and give them a first round playoff bye and then a home game in the semi-final.
    I don't think the League would have each team playing each other twice, inter divisional match-ups would still be prominent in the schedule. When people talk about schedule balance it has nothing to do with teams playing each other an even numbers of times, it's to balance out the bye weeks and the time teams have between games. I personally think the whole one division thing is way over blown, and I don't think people really understand how important East vs. West is during the playoffs, also when's the last time we had an all West Grey Cup ? Winnipeg's tenure is the East doesn't count.

The West had been stronger in the NHL and NBA for years, and they didn't change anything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Absolutely the league will have a balanced schedule of each team playing the other twice.
    That is one of the major reasons for bringing in a new team so we can get 5 great games every week.
    No one wants to see 3 or 4 games when it used to be an 8 team league against the same team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    My point is that, in a league that supposedly has separate divisions and gives first round playoff byes to the division winners, part of that type of arrangement is having an unbalanced schedule. They could no longer realistically get away with pretending to have separate divisions if every team in the league is playing each other the same number of times. It would be difficult to justify arbitrarily designating the team that was in 4th or 5th place in the 10-team league to inexplicably be a "division winner" and give them a first round playoff bye and then a home game in the league's semi-final.
    A completely balanced schedule wouldn't be dramatically different that what we have now, where every team in both divisions plays 10 games against the west and eight against the east. If we ever get to 10 teams, I would still want to see all teams in the league once a year in Toronto, and I definitely wouldn't want to see three games against every team in my division. But I'd still retain the two divisions, and I expect the league will do that despite the current noise emanating out of the west for a single division.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    A 10 team league, one division would be ideal. Top two teams get a bye (as an incentive first place team is automatically awarded the grey cup the following year). Teams 3-6 play the first round. Moreover a 10 team league can have a balance schedule. 5 games every weekend. Maybe a bye at labour day where there are 2 big games and 3 games the next weekend. Season can be shortened as well. Big myth of CFL is fans love the cold weather of November. been proven time and time over the years that attendance actually drops towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. a lot of it has to do with cold! Season should start mid June and grey cup should be in the second week of November, the latest

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I still think Quebec City would be a better fit. Bigger population (same size as Winnipeg) and the current university stadium can be retrofitted to CFL stsndards less costly than a brand new one in Halifax. Plus a Quebec -alouettes rivalry would be great! Like the Nordiques and Habs. Would add life to the Montreal franchise

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    I still think Quebec City would be a better fit. Bigger population (same size as Winnipeg) and the current university stadium can be retrofitted to CFL stsndards less costly than a brand new one in Halifax. Plus a Quebec -alouettes rivalry would be great! Like the Nordiques and Habs. Would add life to the Montreal franchise
    Disagree. Halifax would be pulling support from an entire region. It would be similar to Riderville IMO.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Disagree. Originally from Newfoundland. Thinking newfies would support a team in halifax is like thinking people in winnipeg would support a team in Regina. Ditto for new brunswickers as well. Plus a new stadium will cost 250 mill min. Unless the provincial government ponies up the cash it will not get built period. At least in Quebec City they have that university stadium that can be built up to CFL standards. New and sits 12k. Can be expanded to 25k at 100-150 mil tops.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    A 10 team league, one division would be ideal. Top two teams get a bye (as an incentive first place team is automatically awarded the grey cup the following year). Teams 3-6 play the first round. Moreover a 10 team league can have a balance schedule. 5 games every weekend. Maybe a bye at labour day where there are 2 big games and 3 games the next weekend. Season can be shortened as well. Big myth of CFL is fans love the cold weather of November. been proven time and time over the years that attendance actually drops towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. a lot of it has to do with cold! Season should start mid June and grey cup should be in the second week of November, the latest
    The league would also take into account what effect a proposal such as yours would have on TV ratings (particularly the playoffs).
    Would Western Canada tune in and watch an Ottawa-Montreal Grey Cup Final or more importantly (by population base) will Eastern Canada tune into a Winnipeg-Saskatchewan Grey Cup game, my guess is ratings would drop to which the network partner wouldn’t be too happy which would have ramifications when negotiating TV rights.
    It’s not so simple.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Disagree. Halifax would be pulling support from an entire region. It would be similar to Riderville IMO.
    That makes the most sense to me as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Disagree. Originally from Newfoundland. Thinking newfies would support a team in halifax is like thinking people in winnipeg would support a team in Regina.
    I don't know if anyone really expects Newfoundland to support it since its not geographically connected but I can see PEI, NB support it. Although, I think this was why people were pushing for Moncton, since it's more central to everything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I obviously would love a 10th team, and Halifax is the most attractive market from a visiting standpoint. But one of the problems with the concept is that it strikes me as unlikely the Atlantic team, wherever it's located, will attract a lot of fans from the "other" province. That is, I don't see a lot of Nova Scotians regularly driving to Moncton, and I don't see a lot of New Brunswickers regularly driving to Halifax. And perhaps more importantly, I don't see the corporate communities in the two provinces lining up to support a franchise located in the "other" province. Would Irving get behind a Halifax-based venture? I'm dubious.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7