Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I obviously would love a 10th team, and Halifax is the most attractive market from a visiting standpoint. But one of the problems with the concept is that it strikes me as unlikely the Atlantic team, wherever it's located, will attract a lot of fans from the "other" province. That is, I don't see a lot of Nova Scotians regularly driving to Moncton, and I don't see a lot of New Brunswickers regularly driving to Halifax. And perhaps more importantly, I don't see the corporate communities in the two provinces lining up to support a franchise located in the "other" province. Would Irving get behind a Halifax-based venture? I'm dubious.
    Adding a 10th CFL team is a Hard Problem.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Adding a 10th CFL team is a Hard Problem.
    How about Hamilton?
    They could support a “professional” football team couldn’t they?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    Disagree. Originally from Newfoundland. Thinking newfies would support a team in halifax is like thinking people in winnipeg would support a team in Regina. Ditto for new brunswickers as well. Plus a new stadium will cost 250 mill min. Unless the provincial government ponies up the cash it will not get built period. At least in Quebec City they have that university stadium that can be built up to CFL standards. New and sits 12k. Can be expanded to 25k at 100-150 mil tops.
    I was talking more New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Quebec city drew like 3k for an Allouettes pre season game. Doesn't exactly scream "give us a team". Both Halifax and Moncton did much better when the hosted games. The Laval crowds could be more about school spirit than actual football fans. The Maritimes would tret a CFL franchise of their own like gold.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I obviously would love a 10th team, and Halifax is the most attractive market from a visiting standpoint. But one of the problems with the concept is that it strikes me as unlikely the Atlantic team, wherever it's located, will attract a lot of fans from the "other" province. That is, I don't see a lot of Nova Scotians regularly driving to Moncton, and I don't see a lot of New Brunswickers regularly driving to Halifax. And perhaps more importantly, I don't see the corporate communities in the two provinces lining up to support a franchise located in the "other" province. Would Irving get behind a Halifax-based venture? I'm dubious.
    A good little compromise would be to hold camp in Moncton on a yearly basis. A month of camp in a city can go a long way into adding to a fan base.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is starting to sound similar to what occurred in '82, a willing Owner, but no stadium. This potential ownership group really doesn't sit well with me, and Leblanc reminds me of John Spano.

EDIT: Comparison to Spano is probably too harsh, just rewatched "Big Shot", so had Spano on the brain I guess. The Brad Watters Group (former Owners for the Renegades, Rock, Rebel, and Express) is probably more appropriate.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Disagree. Originally from Newfoundland. Thinking newfies would support a team in halifax is like thinking people in winnipeg would support a team in Regina. Ditto for new brunswickers as well. Plus a new stadium will cost 250 mill min. Unless the provincial government ponies up the cash it will not get built period. At least in Quebec City they have that university stadium that can be built up to CFL standards. New and sits 12k. Can be expanded to 25k at 100-150 mil tops.
    Telus stadium has a maximum seating capacity of 19,500, and there's no more room to expand it, so I don't see that working for the CFL. Quebec is also missing a potential ownership group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I was talking more New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Quebec city drew like 3k for an Allouettes pre season game. Doesn't exactly scream "give us a team". Both Halifax and Moncton did much better when the hosted games. The Laval crowds could be more about school spirit than actual football fans. The Maritimes would tret a CFL franchise of their own like gold.

Agreed AV - IMO the entire Maritimes region would travel to support their team - just like in Sask.

They could also hold one or even 2 games a year at that facility in Moncton that has hosted CFL games before.

This needs to happen - IMO about the single biggest thing the CFL could do = get to 10 teams - and Atlantic Canada with a team to make it a true coast to coast CFL; 5 games a week instead of 4 would be huge IMO.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Personally, I don't have much interest in the largely symbolic achievement of adding an Atlantic team. Even a healthy new franchise would drive up travel costs for everyone else, and obviously the league has some financial issues. I'd hold out for a sweetheart deal that doesn't involve substantial public money...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Personally, I don't have much interest in the largely symbolic achievement of adding an Atlantic team. Even a healthy new franchise would drive up travel costs for everyone else, and obviously the league has some financial issues. I'd hold out for a sweetheart deal that doesn't involve substantial public money...
    So you'd hold out for a pipe dream. Great plan.

If this expansion happens, I'd keep the divisions and go to an unbalanced schedule -- ten games within the division and eight against the West. Under this format, West teams would come to Toronto every four years out of five, and one division foe would come here twice every season. There's your saved travel costs. You could also stress regional rivalries by having Edm-Cgy, Ssk-Wpg, Tor-Ham and Mtl-Ott play each other three times every year. More division games would also greatly decrease the chance of a crossover.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    So you'd hold out for a pipe dream. Great plan.
    Precisely. There's no need for expansion, so it shouldn't happen unless the situation is ideal.

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Ideally i think both Halifax and Quebec City would be great additions to the league. However that makes the league imbalanced again. Could we put a sixth team out west somewhere? Everyone says Victoria (Vancouver Island) is too small but doesnt the whole island have 500k people? Cant think of any other city in the west that could support a team. A 12 team league though would have a lot more power and appeal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Ideally i think both Halifax and Quebec City would be great additions to the league. However that makes the league imbalanced again. Could we put a sixth team out west somewhere? Everyone says Victoria (Vancouver Island) is too small but doesnt the whole island have 500k people? Cant think of any other city in the west that could support a team. A 12 team league though would have a lot more power and appeal.
    I lived on Vancouver Island for 10 years in this millennium. A CFL franchise is simply not viable on VI (and that's an understatement).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Disagree. Halifax would be pulling support from an entire region. It would be similar to Riderville IMO.
    Agree, don't forget Atlantic Canada do not have another pro team and just like Saskatchewan.
    The name must be Atlantic something, I like the Storm!
    This could be another Ottawa financial boom.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Destroyers?
    Anything, as long as it's not the Halifax Explosion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lots of questions remain to be answered before an Atlantic franchise goes beyond the talking stage.

Advocates and experts acknowledged Friday that sobering questions remain: Does the East Coast have the fan base to support a Canadian Football League franchise? Is the business community interested in sponsoring a team? And, perhaps most importantly, who will foot the bill for a new Halifax stadium?
    "The CFL is going to want to see a stable ownership group with deep pockets, which appears to be the case," said Moshe Lander, a Concordia University professor who specializes in the economics of sports. "The fight is going to be who is going to pay for the stadium."
    Stadiums hardly ever yield the economic benefits that are promised, Lander said, noting that it would need a minimum of 30,000 seats, but the "sweet spot" is closer to 40,000. You would ideally like to incorporate sponsorship," he said. "Sobeys would be an ideal anchor sponsor."
    Halifax Mayor Mike Savage called a potential CFL team an "exciting opportunity," but said the municipality will not be leading the charge. "A stadium is not a capital priority at this time," he said. "Any proposal would need to be private sector led and make economic sense for the municipality. A football stadium would have to be built "without putting taxpayers at risk," Savage said, and the team would have to be an "Atlantic play" to make economic sense.
    "The big issue really is the corporate support," he said. "This is the financial centre of Atlantic Canada and I think the CFL sees that if you want to have a franchise that is going to be successful there has to be deep financial roots and commercial support." ...

The key, according to the deputy chairman of the TD Bank Group, is making the "very marginal" economics work. I'd say there are two or three secrets to success," he said. "You would need very strong community ownership. I'm thinking the models in Saskatchewan and Green Bay, for example. And you would need it to be more than just a football play," McKenna added. "It has to be real estate and retail and other things associated with it in order to increase the revenue from the property."
    He pointed to the stadium at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa. It's a model Savage called "attractive" after a 2014 tour of the facility, which includes the 24,000-seat TD Place Stadium. The redesign of the park at the southern edge of the Glebe neighbourhood includes retail space, condominiums, and a children's play structure, which was considered critical to securing the Ottawa Redblacks franchise.
    Lander said Halifax, with a major international airport, growing population, major universities and development, is a good location for a team. He said the CFL could use a team in the Atlantic region.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle37014542/

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    However, it's great news as long as they don't name the team the Atlantic Schooners, as in J I Albrecht's 1982 Halifax team proposal. I don't need any reminders of his time with the Argos.
    Aside from jarring bad memories for you, it's the only fitting name and still has historical value for east coast fans.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Lots wrong with this post. The team will likely be called the Atlantic Schooners for many reasons. Atlantic includes Nfld and the one thing we can agree on is there won't be too much Newfie support re: tickets. But that does not preclude down the road building a market (however small) for TV ratings and team gear.

I lived in all three Maritime provinces, it will be a regional team and there won't be any petty squabbles about supporting it, it will mimic the Riders.

As for the stadium costing 250 million that would get the equivalent of something between IGF and Mosaic, that won't happen. THF at 145 million is more like it. I can easily see it getting federal and provincial funding if the ownership can get Dal and SMU on board. You can get federal money for university infrastructure.

Expansion of the Laval stadium is not that easy. Moncton's 10k relatively new stadium would cost up to 100 million to bring it up to snuff (according to Cohon), same would go for Laval. Also Laval has a private backer for the football team and they are very happy with the status quo. If they wanted a CFL team the news would be out there, they don't. They like being a big fish in a small pond.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I know this region and yes it will come together just like the Riders.

I've had this debate before, Moncton would be the best place to physically situate the team but Halifax has all the other advantages. Plus Monctonians historically are predisposed to going to Halifax. Most English speaking Monctonians who attended university before the turn of the century went to NS schools, SMU/Dal/X/Acadia/MSV and the rest went to UNB. I don't know what they do now but my best friend's daughter went to The Mount so things probably haven't changed much.

It takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes to go from Moncton to where the stadium will likely be. Will a large amount of Monctonians make the trip for every game, no, but I can see most Maritime fans catching at least one game a year. On this subject there is no regional rivalry, same way as Maritimers often come together when they go out west.

Sobey's are based in NS, McCain's deal around the world and this is all you need to know about Irving

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    This is starting to sound similar to what occurred in '82, a willing Owner, but no stadium. This potential ownership group really doesn't sit well with me, and Leblanc reminds me of John Spano.

EDIT: Comparison to Spano is probably too harsh, just rewatched "Big Shot", so had Spano on the brain I guess. The Brad Watters Group (former Owners for the Renegades, Rock, Rebel, and Express) is probably more appropriate.
    Did I just post this? My exact thoughts and last week I rewatched "Big Shot". Can't believe it but my comparison would also be the Brad Watters Group.

The three things that give me hope are: 1. They received money from the sale of the Coyotes, if they didn't have it before (LeBlanc was a part of Blackberry) 2. They went to the table with Ambrosie (a financial guy) who unlike Bettman/Spano, I hope vetted them and 3. Maybe Ambrosie is using them to get some other groups to come out of the woodwork.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Not bad. It has to be Atlantic so as not to preclude NF even though they would be an infinitesimal part of it. You would be looking to build that market down the road for other opportunities aside from ticket sales. Atlantic also flows off the tongue better with the potential candidate names. They'll pick something that makes sense historically and geographically not like Raptors : ( Apparently lots of fossil finds in the GTA moreso than AB : ) Will likely be Schooners as it ties in with all the provinces shipbuilding history, it's on the dime (still is isn't it?) and of course a good tie in with the beer.