Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.C. View Post
    Destroyers? Anything, as long as it's not the Halifax Explosion.
    I actually like the sound of Halifax Explosion but it will be a regional name Atlantic ???

Destroyers has a nice ring about it but isn't totally accurate historically speaking. Yup they convoyed destroyers across the Atlantic during the war but the Corvette had much more significance. I'm also not keen on the sound of Atlantic Corvettes.

It's not going to be Maritime anything, especially Marauders which makes no historic sense and even though Privateers has some cachet it is mostly related to NS. Schooners is really the only name that I can think of that could be made acceptable to the entire region and it works on several different levels.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Potential CFL team owners looking at four pieces of HRM land: mayor
    http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/potential...r&_gsc=iVWoTdm

Shannon Park and Dartmouth Crossing make the most sense to me. Essentially, if it does happen, it'll be built where everyone (Owners, Business community, Province and City) can maximum revenue.

I hope if this ever does happen: they avoid going with the Schooners name.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://edmontonsun.com/sports/footba...am-riding-high

A lot of expansion talk at this year Grey Cup Festivities so far, and it sounds as though the Schooners Kitchen party will be the biggest yet.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Will Halifax join the CFL in 2020?
    tsn.ca November 25/2017

CFL Insiders Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji discuss the excitement and bullish feeling surrounding the possibility of a CFL team being granted to Halifax, the future of Wally Buono and is June Jones going to remain in Hamilton? The Insiders have all that and more.

Interesting that the commentators said that some people involved in getting Ottawa up and running will be involved. I'm liking everything I'm hearing about this except for how deep pocketed the ownership group is. Apparently Ambrosie gives them the thumbs up so...
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-25-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Ambrosie believes Atlantic Canada is the last piece of the puzzle
    tsn.ca November 25/2017

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joins Kate Beirness and Derek Taylor to talk about his first Grey Cup as commissioner, explains why he believes Atlantic Canada is the last piece of the puzzle, discusses the Argonauts ongoing attendance issues and much more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

I hope this is the real deal.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Here's Heroux's article: http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4420090

"...he's hired an architect in Los Angeles to produce a stadium rendering that was presented to Halifax council." Clearly this is farther along than we've realized.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    ^'Defining moment': CFL commissioner sparks expansion hope in Halifax
    Randy Ambrosie says it’s the unfilled part of national dream
    Devin Heroux, CBC Sports Nov 25, 2017

And now on this go-around, it appears the Schooners name is still as popular as ever.

"The original thought process is we'll do what the Schooners did back in the early '80s and that was go to the people in the Atlantic provinces and find out what people want to call it," LeBlanc said."If the early feedback is any indication it's going to be tough to see it being anything other than Schooners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    [And now on this go-around, it appears the Schooners name is still as popular as ever.

"The original thought process is we'll do what the Schooners did back in the early '80s and that was go to the people in the Atlantic provinces and find out what people want to call it," LeBlanc said."If the early feedback is any indication it's going to be tough to see it being anything other than Schooners.
    Ugh. not as bad as REDBLACKS, but close IMO. Not a fan of LeBlanc, but I hope he and the other investors come up with something new and considerably more interesting (team colours included).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Schooners is fine with me (bit of a clash or maybe a friendly competition with the mighty ship Argo !;o) ); but I hope they call them the Atlantic what-evers rather than Halifax ***** - just like the Riders are the Saskatchewan Roughriders- representing the whole province (and not called the Regina Riders).

And even if they get a cosy new stadium (modest cost model like in the Hammer ?). I still say they should play one game a year at the facility in Moncton - to help spread the feel of a Maritimes team.

Again - IMO - this is the single biggest thing the CFL could pull-off to build/improve - a 10th team in Atlantic Canada to give a cross country feel to the league and to finally expand (rather than stay same old or else go backwards with a team folding like in the past) And a 10 team league with an extra game per week on the sched. would be huge for profile/interest (say a Thurday nigher, a Friday nighter with some doubleheaders there, and then games on the weekend - CFL games could be on 4 days a week for some or all of the sched), IMO. Gotta work on a way better TV deal for next time - with a 2nd broadcast partner a good idea IMO.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't know why you would change a name that has history (and branding), works on all levels within the region, was chosen by the people once (and may again) and polling suggests is still popular. It would be inane to change that.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Schooners is fine with me but I hope they call them the Atlantic what-evers rather than Halifax ***** - just like the Riders are the Saskatchewan Roughriders- representing the whole province.

I still say they should play one game a year at the facility in Moncton - to help spread the feel of a Maritimes team.
    Thy will, will be done They would have to incur some costs playing in Moncton to temporarily expand the stadium unless they only played pre season games there which might be a better idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    It does appear to be a very serious group, I still like my Atlantic Storm name.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't know why you would change a name that has history (and branding), works on all levels within the region, was chosen by the people once (and may again) and polling suggests is still popular. It would be inane to change that.
    Lots of reason IMO. Let's take out that I think "Schooners" is a silly name, and look at it objectively...........

- The potential owners have stated that they want a name that represents all the Atlantic, now that could just mean they want "Atlantic whatevers" vs. "Halifax whatevers", but the Schooners name doesn't really represent the whole of Atlantic Canada, as ships have been primarily built in Halifax/Nova Scotia since the 1800's. (1798 was the earliest year I found)

- We already have a team that has ties to boats, ships, etc.

- If they were to use the current logo, they'd be the 3rd team in the East to have the letter A as part of there logo. It's a currently 9 team league, some originality should be required.

- Team colours : I've seen three different set ups as of right now. Bombers Navy Blue and Gold, a black and white combo, and a Dallas Cowboys looking entry. Again, small league, so copying another team's colours, or going with black as the primary or secondary isn't unique or original when 4 other current CFL teams use black.

All I'd like to see is something original and unique, that will bring the region together, the Atlantic Schooners are a team that never was, maybe it should be left that way, and the potential Owners create something new that sticks and actually not only represents all of Atlantic Canada, but sticks and connects with the Region.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-27-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    but the Schooners name doesn't really represent the whole of Atlantic Canada, as ships have been primarily built in Halifax/Nova Scotia since the 1700's.
    Think you better check your history there.

You may think it's a silly name but it's what the people wanted and polling is telling the ownership group it is what they still want. Do you want them to pick a name that means nothing to the area like let's say Raptors? How about Atlantic Justice League? Is that in the theatres now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Do you want them to pick a name that means nothing to the area like let's say Raptors?
    Raptors has meaning in the area. Everyone here knows if you go to High Park you better keep out of the long grass.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    "...the Atlantic Schooners are a team that never was, maybe it should be left that way..."
    Well said.

I'd like to see every grade schooler across the four provinces submit a name. Ships, dinosaurs, who cares. I'd like to see naming debates in pubs, and barber shops, and city councils. Atlantic graphic designers should be asked to submit colours and designs. Naming a team is half the fun of getting one and in this case it might be a really important part of creating a regional footprint.

If after all of this is done the Schooners name remains the most popular then so be it. But let's be honest: people are really attached to Schooners because of long-term fans' nostalgia at seeing the name at Grey Cup parties. That's understandable but also reductive and could spike the opportunity for something new and fun.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess if you CFA you don't get it. I would think people from Toronto would understand when they have a team with a 144 year history and more than enough people who would have no problem throwing that history away. The name fits, people like it, it has history and you can't buy that. There has never been any sizeable group in the Maritimes (to my knowledge) who have objected to the name. Maritimers aren't so vacuous that they pick a team name after "characters" in a recent movie. They are proud of their history and cling to it and usually don't give in to the latest trend. Let's give a little credit here.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-27-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://3downnation.com/2017/12/12/at...re-registered/

Looks like it's getting serious. Still wish they would choose a better name, and had other individuals involved with Ownership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Branding Branding Branding.

Atlantic Schooners is a name that already resonates in the region. Look no futher than the fan group that attends the Grey Cup every year.

Those who don't like the name will get used to it. Many laughed their behinds off when Toronto's NBA was announced as the Raptors. Years later it stuck and now there is a generation who would not know it as anything else

Atlantic Schooners it shall be....should it happen....