Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    So does Ray officially win the Ray-Collaros-Harris debate?
    It was never any doubt in my opinion. When Ricky Ray decides to hang em up, then we can have a discussion about the who evers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Maybe, but i certainly did not see that; Laing did little for the RedBlacks other than maybe be fairly solid at DT - what were the "huge" things he did in last year's GC? OTOH - he had a sack early in this GC game and also made a key play to hustle and then force the fumble on Jorden, resulting in a fumble return TD - which IMO was the biggest play of the game.
    I think Cleon was in NFL shape when he came back last year. This year he was in CFL shape.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    It was never any doubt in my opinion. When Ricky Ray decides to hang em up, then we can have a discussion about the who evers.
    The problem has always been who do we have when Ray goes down, not who's better. When Ray remarked that he should come back for two more years today, his teammates went nuts. They really love this guy, it's remarkable to see. I don't know if there is another QB in the league that would receive the level of respect and admiration that Ray gets. Great character, great teammate and great leader.

Whatever QB backs up Ray next year will be in a good place. The Argos are suddenly a desired destination. I don't know enough of Brandon Bridge's character, but he looks like a potential superstar. Would love to see him here next year learning from this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    The problem has always been who do we have when Ray goes down, not who's better. When Ray remarked that he should come back for two more years today, his teammates went nuts. They really love this guy, it's remarkable to see. I don't know if there is another QB in the league that would receive the level of respect and admiration that Ray gets. Great character, great teammate and great leader.

Whatever QB backs up Ray next year will be in a good place. The Argos are suddenly a desired destination. I don't know enough of Brandon Bridge's character, but he looks like a potential superstar. Would love to see him here next year learning from this team.
    Ricky needs to come back so we can go back-to-back GCs again !!! This team kept together should be league best IMO.

Brandon Bridge would be a great pick-up IMO as a possible future QB; i still like Fajardo there too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    When Ray remarked that he should come back for two more years today, his teammates went nuts. They really love this guy, it's remarkable to see. I don't know if there is another QB in the league that would receive the level of respect and admiration that Ray gets. Great character, great teammate and great leader.
    And this wasn't all that evident when the Argos were 4-7. Back then there were even whispers that ownership was looking for a big name QB to replace Ricky next year. They may have been quite justified in thinking at that point that Ricky Ray was just not going to sell many tickets going forward. But i'm sure they're not thinking that way anymore. The way the team rallied around Ricky as he came through in the clutch again and again -- this kind of turnaround doesn't happen very often in sports. Now people are tossing around GOAT when it comes to Ricky, and people in Toronto love GOATs, so maybe they actually can ​start selling tix on his name next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After the Grey Cup celebration, the media asked Ricky if his comments meant he was coming back. While his answer was not definite, his answer was quite positive.

“Last year at this time I asked myself ‘did I want to keep playing’ and the answer was ‘yes’. So I’m sure over the next few weeks or month I guess I will do the same thing.
    “It was a lot of fun this year, especially when we go things going. I don’t know, we will see. I’m just trying to take some time and enjoy this one.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/28/ray-hi...n-argos-rally/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Ray returning and the team really going after signing Bridge: just 25 years old, a big talent, a GTA Canuck, further developing with Ray and Trestman. I wouldn't hesitate to label that easily the best, although I fear not the most probable, possible scenario.
    Bridge is reportedly close to re-signing with the Riders. I think that the Argos like Bethel-Thompson and Prukop a lot. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Collaros back to backup Ray but, as Paul has pointed out, that could be financially tough to make happen.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Bridge is reportedly close to re-signing with the Riders. I think that the Argos like Bethel-Thompson and Prukop a lot. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Collaros back to backup Ray but, as Paul has pointed out, that could be financially tough to make happen.
    Yes, I know Bridge is close to re-signing with the Riders. So there is still the opportunity to seriously get after him!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have liked what I have seen of this Bethal guy the little bit he has played. He's been around for a while somewhere as he's almost 30 years old. Throws a good ball and apparently passed Prukop on the depth chart just from the practices. I would have liked to see him get more playing time in that BC game. Maybe the Argos don't go after one of the pending free agent QB's if Ricky comes back, if it's going to cost them a bundle. Maybe they like what they have and will spend the money on bringing back the core of the team. Ball, Woods, Laing, Posey, Green and most of the defensive backs etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    congrats guys. not sure the city deserved it but all you real fans sure did. cheers.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I've heard that the org really loves Bethel-Thompson. I wish he had received more playing time so we'd have a better idea of what he offers. I would not be surprised if he is the succession plan, with Prukop in there as a future backup.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I've heard that the org really loves Bethel-Thompson. I wish he had received more playing time so we'd have a better idea of what he offers. I would not be surprised if he is the succession plan, with Prukop in there as a future backup.
    My thoughts moving forward at QB.
    I'm all for Ray returning! And I have admitted multiple times this season that I was wrong writing him off from the previous two seasons.

So assuming Ray returns.
    Best case scenario is Trestman feels we have the future QB already on the roster and they sign an extension. Assuming that's one of Fajardo, Bethel-Thompson, or Prukop.

Otherwise if they want some more experience then:
    --Bridge-would be the best case. It would be wise for him to tutor under Trestman and Ray. Also great marketing for the team. But I think Bridge wants to start NOW and resigns with Sask. Also there are some hints of a 'Me First' attitude, but I could be wrong.
    --Collaros would be a good fit if he's willing(or smart enough) to reset his carreer under Trestman and Ray. Although the injury history is a concern. (and this assumes we pick him up as a FA. NO trade with Ham, make them release him.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bridge plays way too much sandlot ball for my liking, we already have Fajardo who does that, so aside from being Canadian, I don't get why so many around here want Bridge.

I'd wait to see what Hamilton does with Collaros, if we can get him great, if not oh well. I doubt Trevor Harris is an option, as he wants money and the #1 - Ottawa or Montreal would be my guess. Lulay isn't going anywhere, and Jennings wants to try the NFL, but I think he's got a year left in BC. Franklin is intriguing, but if it's true that he's not commited tot the CFL, then I wouldn't waste any time with him. I don't see Masoli leaving Hamilton, but even if he does: no thanks, as I don't see A high enough ceiling for him. I can't see Curant staying in Montreal with his massive, but Kavis' mind works in "forensic matrices", so who knows, but even if Durant was available, he's a guy I'd avoid like the plague.

I'm high on Prukop, not so much the others, and I'm still surprised that Matthews is on the roster. In saying that, I'd rather not go into next season with no back-up for Ray if he comes back or no starter at all if Ray were to retire. I am interested to see if Trestman can develop a young guy though, as his biggest successes come with 35+ year old QB's. I'd love to see Toronto develop and keep a young guy for 15 years for the first time in my life TBH.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Bridge plays way too much sandlot ball for my liking, we already have Fajardo who does that, so aside from being Canadian, I don't get why so many around here want Bridge.
    I think the way Bridge shredded the Argos D with his arm during the season and then his legs in the East Final, is why so many are impressed with him. Whenever he got in the game, it felt like he was going to do something and I bet most Argos fans were wishing for Glenn instead. Learning from the smartest QB and best HC in the league, has to be attractive scenario for his development and he wouldn't have to solely rely on his sandlot play (although players like Flutie sure made a career out of that style).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post

I'd wait to see what Hamilton does with Collaros, if we can get him great, if not oh well. I doubt Trevor Harris is an option, as he wants money and the #1 - Ottawa or Montreal would be my guess. Lulay isn't going anywhere, and Jennings wants to try the NFL, but I think he's got a year left in BC. Franklin is intriguing, but if it's true that he's not commited tot the CFL, then I wouldn't waste any time with him. I don't see Masoli leaving Hamilton, but even if he does: no thanks, as I don't see A high enough ceiling for him. I can't see Curant staying in Montreal with his massive, but Kavis' mind works in "forensic matrices", so who knows, but even if Durant was available, he's a guy I'd avoid like the plague.

I'm high on Prukop, not so much the others, and I'm still surprised that Matthews is on the roster. In saying that, I'd rather not go into next season with no back-up for Ray if he comes back or no starter at all if Ray were to retire. I am interested to see if Trestman can develop a young guy though, as his biggest successes come with 35+ year old QB's. I'd love to see Toronto develop and keep a young guy for 15 years for the first time in my life TBH.

Ummm ... Bridge has already played in the CFL and has won games, demonstrated a cannon for an arm, and is 6-5, 220some and can run/scramble. Name another CFL QB - in the entire league - who has that strong an arm, is 6-5 and can run like a deer?

Prukop and Bethel-Thompson have proven zip in the CFL (or the NFL) - they both might be 10x better than Bridge, Fajardo and Ricky Ray put together, but excuse me for not buying what any team thinkers are selling about a young or new QB they signed; Kenty brought that superstar Matthews into the league and played him and Popp & Trestman thought he was #2 material as well apparently. Unfortunately - lots of football decisions are wrong. Trestman & Popp left the Als with zipo to succeed Calvillo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    And this wasn't all that evident when the Argos were 4-7. Back then there were even whispers that ownership was looking for a big name QB to replace Ricky next year. They may have been quite justified in thinking at that point that Ricky Ray was just not going to sell many tickets going forward. But i'm sure they're not thinking that way anymore. The way the team rallied around Ricky as he came through in the clutch again and again -- this kind of turnaround doesn't happen very often in sports. Now people are tossing around GOAT when it comes to Ricky, and people in Toronto love GOATs, so maybe they actually can ​start selling tix on his name next year.
    The wannabe city that stares at GOATS ? - should make a fine movie.

And I really wonder what Popp would do if the chance to sign an all-american hero like Johnny Football or Colin Kappernick presented itself? - his track record shows some fascination with American football heroes. He could sign Johnny/Colin Superstar and convince Ricky to become QB coach (at a vastly reduced salary of course, and with the proviso that Ricky un-retires if the unthinkable happened - Johnny/Colin Football not winning every game while smashing all CFL passing records.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Please no Manziel or Kappernick. Love 'em or hate 'em, those two generate too much controversy and the risk of the Argos locker room imploding is far too high. The only interest those two would bring in is morbid curiosity, and I'm not sure that's the kind of attention you would want your team to have.

If Bridge is a possibility then that would be the best option in my opinion. It probably won't happen though.

Developing a QB from within makes the most sense at this point. We have a great in Ricky Ray to help with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In case anybody still needs this:

http://3downnation.com/2017/11/29/fi...mind-grey-cup/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Please no Manziel or Kappernick. Love 'em or hate 'em, those two generate too much controversy and the risk of the Argos locker room imploding is far too high. The only interest those two would bring in is morbid curiosity, and I'm not sure that's the kind of attention you would want your team to have.
    This is true for Manziel but definitely not for Kaepernick. First of all, Kaepernick has proven that he can play at an elite level in the NFL, and Manziel has proven nothing.The prospect of Kaepernick taking the helm of a Grey Cup winning offence under the guidance of Trestman (and Ray?) ought to intrigue any football fan in this city.

Secondly Manziel has serious character questions, but nobody questions Kaepernick's character. He is a hero to many people who know very little about football, and I would be willing to bet a large majority of Torontonians who know who he is have a positive impression of him. I think they would sell every ticket for every game in a week if they signed him, especially coming off the high of the Cup victory.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Collaros? Would ZC be willing to take a huge pay cut to apprentice again for a year under Ricky?
    Surely Collaros isn't expecting to see starter money from any CFL team after the way he looked this year on top of his injuries?