Closed Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not saying they were forced, but any good coach would have went for the win in that position. OT is too unpredictable and like going for it, there's no guarantees for a field goal under those conditions. Right choice, wrong throw.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I think Ray will retire on top, his emotions during the post game on field interview spoke volumes IMO.
    Classy organization top to bottom.
    I think he will sign a new 2 year contract and eventually become the QB Coach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I'm not saying they were forced, but any good coach would have went for the win in that position. OT is too unpredictable and like going for it, there's no guarantees for a field goal under those conditions. Right choice, wrong throw.
    I actually liked BLM’s throw.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    i'm not saying they were forced, but any good coach would have went for the win in that position. Ot is too unpredictable and like going for it, there's no guarantees for a field goal under those conditions. Right choice, wrong throw.
    wtf ?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I actually liked BLM’s throw.
    No, you liked who caught it : )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't know about anyone else, but I need to watch this game again! At least the second half anyhow. What an awesome Grey Cup!! Unbelievable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Toronto Argonauts.
    17 Time World Champions!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Wow! Probably the wildest finish in Grey Cup history.

Their lines dominated early. The best thing to come out of the first half was that were were only down by 9. Coulda been worse.

I think that first play to Cross in the second half really settled us down. From then on, we played them toe-to-toe. Or head-to-head. Or something.

On Jorden's fumble, I have no idea why the Stamps didn't just run Messam into the line. You have to protect the FG attempt, which would have made it a two-score game. I've seen so any teams refuse to get conservative in situations like this, and I generally hate when teams get conservative.

On Mitchell's last throw, I think the pressure made him use more wrist than arm, which caused the ball to flutter in the wind. And no way he accounted for Black, who came a looooong way to make just an outstanding play. Should they have played it safe here as well and protected the FG attempt which would have forced overtime? Probably, but part of me also admires them going for it all.

McDaniel should be cut tomorrow. You can't throw a teammate under the bus that blatantly. Huge props to Jorden for facing the music on camera. That couldn't have been easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Terrible effort by the Argos.

Ray is useless, cannot throw a ball to save his life.
    No kicking game.
    Coach is stupid, using his timeout in first quarter.
    Play calling is terrible.
    Very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    One lucky pass. The rest of the half he was terrible. Compare him to Bo Levi throwing the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaumaris View Post
    Watching the game here in Edmonton,turned off my tv,I'm finding this game unwatchable.
    CFL is a f***ing joke.Get the season over by October,or find a stadium with a roof.
    I'll repeat the CFL is F***ing joke.
    Of course I did,I've watched every Grey Cup since 1974.but enoughs enough.CFL has to stop trying to compete
    with the NFL,and cut Sunday games,(when the NFL is going),and start the season earlier.Think about it
    it makes sense.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    The Stampeders were done the moment Cassius Vaughn blew past Mitchell on the fumble return. As for Ricky Ray I hope he returns for at least another year. This team just won the Grey Cup in the most improbable fashion but lets be honest, Calgary blew it more than Argos won it. I tip my hat to Argos for taking advantage of the opportunities presented to them but if not for Posey's 100 yard TD and Laing punching the ball out on the fumble return the result would have been much different. That being said this is a team on rise and will only get better. I for one would love to see and hope to see Ricky Ray as a central part of it going forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Toronto Argonauts.
    17 Time World Champions!
    What took you so long to change your banner? The game has been over for two hours.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    What took you so long to change your banner? The game has been over for two hours.
    Took two hours to sink in!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Shawn Lemon had the last chirp on Charleston Hughes.

Hughes chirped Lemon when the Stampeders arrived in Ottawa on Tuesday but Lemon refused to respond on social media or during his media session on Wednesday.
    “Just focused on the game plan and getting the win,” Lemon said. “We’re playing a great opponent so I got to put more time into preparation.
    But Hughes kept at it during Wednesday’s media session after being asked about Lemon’s unwillingness to fire back.
    “He don’t want to engage with me, he knows better,” Hughes said before infantilizing Lemon.
    “I plan on stepping out and having lunch with him sometime this week to discuss our Sunday approach because I know what I’m going to do in the game and I want to hear what he says he’s going to do in the game because when you’re looking down at your son and you’re talking to your father you’re going to tell your father everything you want to do. And I’m going to look back down at him and tell him that’s what I want to hear son. I want him to succeed and do his best.”
    Hughes also had some choice words for Toronto quarterback Ricky Ray
    “Ricky Ray is not difficult to get down at all,” Hughes said. “He’s one of the easier quarterbacks to sack because when he sees you coming he’s going to turtle.”
    Lemon got the last laugh and responded to Hughes after Toronto made a dramatic comeback to win the 2017 Grey Cup.
    “Charleston’s a great player, but he should probably focus on the gameplan instead of talking trash about my quarterback next time,” Lemon said with a wry smile.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/11/27/sh...-grey-cup-win/

I guess Hughes is a slow learner. He didn't learn anything from Brandon Bridge's pregame chirp at Lemon in the Eastern final when Lemon then sacked Rider QBs three time. Anyway, the best chirp is the last chirp.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Should they have played it safe here as well and protected the FG attempt which would have forced overtime? Probably, but part of me also admires them going for it all.
    They had good field position, the Argos were on the ropes, getting beaten senseless, and the Stamps are going to step back, kick a field (no guarantee) and let the Argos back in the game, no coach would do that.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    McDaniel should be cut tomorrow. You can't throw a teammate under the bus that blatantly. Huge props to Jorden for facing the music on camera. That couldn't have been easy.
    I thought I said my last word on the subject but there's too much irony here.

Stamps Marquay McDaniel blames teammate after Grey Cup loss
    Drew Edwards 3downnation November 26, 2017

“It’s a stupid play to be real. I mean shit, we were inside the 15 up eight with a chance to at least get a field goal. What are you doing? We talked all game about putting two hands on the ball. What are you doing? It’s a stupid play,” McDaniel said. “You can talk all you want about doing this, doing that,. It’s a dumb play. Stupid football loses games.”

It will be interesting to see how his teammates react to his comments, particularly after watching film of Vaughn’s return. It shows McDaniel (No 16) seeming to give up on the play as Vaughn crosses the 20-yard line on his way to the end zone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I need to watch this game again! At least the second half anyhow. What an awesome Grey Cup!! Unbelievable.
    I am watching the second half again right now on TSN2 to try to wrap my head around what happened.

Vaughn's 109 yard fumble return for a TD will go down forever as part of Grey Cup lore. The Argos were likely on their way to defeat and the only thing that could have saved them there was a turnover. It was a terrific effort by Laing to force that fumble.

As for Calgary going for the win at the end of the fourth quarter, I think that was the correct move, just as I thought that the Argos needed to go for the win rather than play for OT last week in the final minutes of the East Final. If you have a chance to win the game, go for it IMO. Matt Black simply made an excellent play on the ball there.

Again, I need to wrap my head around this one but Ricky Ray was only 3 yards short of another 300 yard game, despite Wilder only gaining 13 yards rushing. Ray was superb, as were Posey and Cross. Has anyone ever had two 2-point conversions in a Grey Cup before as Cross did on Sunday night?

I was feeling so depressed when Calgary seemed to be driving for the insurance points with less than 5 minutes left in the game. To go from that feeling to euphoria in a matter of a few seconds is a feeling that doesn't happen very often. The closest I can think of, at the moment, was a late season game in 1981 when Montreal was driving for an insurance TD to knock the Argos out of playoff contention. The late David Overstreet then fumbled inside the Argo 5 yard line in the final minute before Condredge Holloway hit Martin Cox on a miracle catch and run TD play to win the game for Toronto. That it all turned around on Sunday night on one play and that this was the Grey Cup takes the cake though.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The late David Overstreet then fumbled inside the Argo 5 yard line
    Good 'ol David Turnoverstreet

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    That Argo win was magical ... it made trolls disappear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

It will be interesting to see how his teammates react to his comments, particularly after watching film of Vaughn’s return. It shows McDaniel (No 16) seeming to give up on the play as Vaughn crosses the 20-yard line on his way to the end zone.
    I did see that along with a pretty lame attempt to push Vaughn out of bounds by Bo Levi Mitchell. Both efforts pale in comparison to Shawn Lemon leading the blocking all the way to the end zone. I love to watch those big guys run. This win and this season were all about character. The Argonauts have it while the Stampeders are looking it up on Google.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    A classic example of how big plays win football games.

100 yard TD pass to Posey (showed speed to not get caught).

And the Argo D was not making plays much till late: nice punch-out for a fumble by Laing - hustling on the play, and then great return for the score by Vaughn, who did not allow himself to be tackled. And finally - beauty (INT) by Matt Black; he didn't just get there to get in the way or knock the pass down, but he picked it and that sealed the win; (and i was worried that Gabriel could have been called for interference on that play - he was pushing the receiver but maybe just after Black caught the ball?).

Kudos to Bo Mitchell on a great game though - he was poised and accurate and it's not his fault that his receivers drop passes or fumble games away; nor maybe that their offensive brain-trust does not get that more balance and run game can make an offence way better - receivers dropping passes or fumbling in tough weather conditions - gee, who knew ? And sorry, very dumb call and maybe poor decision by Mitchell to throw that last pass when there was still plenty of time for a much safer play or just try for the game tying FG. - gambled for a big play & the win ... and lost = see ya, chumps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As a more mature follower of the Argos, I recall a potential, game changing turnover by the Calgary Stampeders that took place late in the 1971 Grey Cup. Tricky Dicky Thornton picked off Jerry Keeling and was one block away from returning it for a game winning touchdown. For the rest of his life he was always answering the what-if question.

Argos were a fast team with Theismann, McQuay, Profit and Stillwagon and were big favourites. Poor weather at the Empire Stadium in BC was a big equalizer that day. Favourites Argos that year lost the Cup on a turnover in the last seconds near the Stampeders end zone.

What goes around certainly comes around.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin