Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Feel bad for Kamar Jorden, as that's his Leon McQuay moment, and he didn't deserved to have his teammate throw him up the bus.

Funny thing is, that play, McDaniel's reaction, and Bo's pick, are perfect reasons as to why the Stamps have lost the last two Grey Cup. Perennial chokers because their not much of a "team".
    - Jorden fumbled, and yet both Mitchell and McDaniel gave of on chasing Vaughan down, McDaniel showed no better than throwing his teammate under the bus, nor do I see him blame Mitchell for the pick, and even Dickenson seemed more po'd about the pick.
    - Mitchell instead of going for the smart play of centering the field for Paredes, went for the great big kill shot for Grey Cup infamy. Last year he was so pissed because he wanted the ball in his hands instead of having Buckley out there near the goal line, I get it, and you do want your top guys to want the ball, but it just seems more arrogant than team first coming from Mitchell. So, he gets the ball this round, and doesn't go throw his reads, doesn't read the defense, and decides that he wants to win the game, not for the team, but his own Glory.

Can anyone here see guys like Ray, Ball, Woods, Van Zeyl, etc, blame anyone of their teammates if they were to lose ? I doubt it.
    Was Ricky complaining because Fajardo's the one who scored the game winning drive touchdown ? Nope.
    Don't feel too bad, Kamar, there remains an enormous amount of respect for Leon McQuay to this day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    So does Ray officially win the Ray-Collaros-Harris debate?
    I'd still love to see Collaros back and return to form. Winning a Grey Cup in Double Blue before Drew Willy ever does.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Nenshi so far delivering on the bet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd still love to see Collaros back and return to form. Winning a Grey Cup in Double Blue before Drew Willy ever does.
    Perry Lefko had an interesting thought today on the radio. He remarked how Collaros should reset, retool, maybe even relearn with the help of Ray and Trestman next season. At the right price, it's not a bad idea. When he becomes the starter in 2019, he can get a decent contract back.

As I said before these playoffs, if Ray can deliver us this Cup, he's the Greatest Argonaut QB of all time. 6 seasons, 2 Grey cups, multiple team records. There's a reason the guys call him the GOAT.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    So does Ray officially win the Ray-Collaros-Harris debate?

Yes I was front and centre on that one.
    I did apologize earlier in the year for my assessment of Ray being done and frankly he did not look good last year.
    There are rumours how Collaros will likely be cut in the new year and the Argos might sign him with the hope his under study period with Ricky will rejuvenate to his play like when he was with the Cats and had MOP numbers before being injured.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/grey-c...ter-4-1.926545

I am as guilty of criticizing Rod Black as the next guy, but I'd encourage you all to listen to his call of the fumble (18:30) and the rest of the game I suppose. He really did capture the emotion of it all.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Perry Lefko had an interesting thought today on the radio. He remarked how Collaros should reset, retool, maybe even relearn with the help of Ray and Trestman next season. At the right price, it's not a bad idea. When he becomes the starter in 2019, he can get a decent contract back.

As I said before these playoffs, if Ray can deliver us this Cup, he's the Greatest Argonaut QB of all time. 6 seasons, 2 Grey cups, multiple team records. There's a reason the guys call him the GOAT.
    I'd like to see Ray brought back on an incentive type deal again, and do the same with Collaros if he becomes available. Good insurance in case anything happens with Ricky, and Collaros can reset under Ray and Trestman. Also gives time for some of the young guys to develop as well come to think of it.

Going to be an interesting off season, with Jennings potentially getting NFL looks, and guys like Lulay (doubt he leaves BC), Franklin (rumoured to want to try down South), Bridge, Masoli, and Harris all free agents. If the rumours are true about Franklin only wanting to sign a one yer deal in the CFL, I wouldn't even bother with him, as I want someone committed to the team. Plus Montreal needing a Head Coach and staff, the BC situation, and Atlantic expansion.

I'll wait a bit longer before going into the Argos off season needs, but I will say that a back-up (maybe even a starter depending on what ray wants to do) and locking up Himebauch are must IMO.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    As a more mature follower of the Argos, I recall a potential, game changing turnover by the Calgary Stampeders that took place late in the 1971 Grey Cup. Tricky Dicky Thornton picked off Jerry Keeling and was one block away from returning it for a game winning touchdown. For the rest of his life he was always answering the what-if question.

Argos were a fast team with Theismann, McQuay, Profit and Stillwagon and were big favourites. Poor weather at the Empire Stadium in BC was a big equalizer that day. Favourites Argos that year lost the Cup on a turnover in the last seconds near the Stampeders end zone.

What goes around certainly comes around.
    I love stories like this. Provides a story behind the score for those of us born later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not sure why some complained about it, as I thought Shania was great (still sounds good live, can't remember the last Super Bowl performance that wasn't lip synced), and I loved her entrance. This Grey Cup was Canadian at it's best IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure why some complained about it, as I thought Shania was great (still sounds good live, can't remember the last Super Bowl performance that wasn't lip synced), and I loved her entrance. This Grey Cup was Canadian at it's best IMO.

I agree. Sounded and looked great.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

I am as guilty of criticizing Rod Black as the next guy, but I'd encourage you all to listen to his call of the fumble (18:30) and the rest of the game I suppose. He really did capture the emotion of it all.
    That was exciting listening to that 4th quarter all over again. Rod Black made it sound more exciting than the TV calls even.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If he can help out more new fans, that would be awesome.
    I'm high school teacher and this is how my students knew the Argos won! Thanks, Drake.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    That was exciting listening to that 4th quarter all over again. Rod Black made it sound more exciting than the TV calls even.
    One for the ages. The signature Rod Black voice crack when he yells Vaughn.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I hope Leo was able to watch the Game down there in Atlanta.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Giulio Caravatta was lol "I gotta sit down ... holy cow ... between this and Shania I can't take much more."

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    I worked in the biz, and even a short stint for TSN, a hundred years ago and it always pisses me off when people who don't know anything about the business go on about Rod Black. He worked on figure skating early and people have never forgiven him for that, pigeonholing him. He's just one of those people that is made into a whipping boy for no good reason.

You won't hear about how he righted the ship last week when the PA and panel mic went out. Added stability and then emotion and got the broadcast back on track. He's a good all rounder and can handle most jobs well. At that level they don't keep you around if you can't do the job. A lot of PBP guys are one dimensional and not able to handle other jobs.

My favourite PBP guy was the almost forgotten Bill Hewitt who could bring a fantastic level of emotion to a broadcast, but from what I understand that was about all he could do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I worked in the biz, and even a short stint for TSN, a hundred years ago and it always pisses me off when people who don't know anything about the business go on about Rod Black. He worked on figure skating early and people have never forgiven him for that, pigeonholing him. He's just one of those people that is made into a whipping boy for no good reason.

You won't hear about how he righted the ship last week when the PA and panel mic went out. Added stability and then emotion and got the broadcast back on track. He's a good all rounder and can handle most jobs well. At that level they don't keep you around if you can't do the job. A lot of PBP guys are one dimensional and not able to handle other jobs.

My favourite PBP guy was the almost forgotten Bill Hewitt who could bring a fantastic level of emotion to a broadcast, but from what I understand that was about all he could do.
    Bill Hewitt is someone that was often criticized, in part at least because many saw him as having his job only because who his father was. Rod Black hasn't had that particular problem but has certainly been the subject of much criticism over the years, including by me. His call of Vaughn's TD on Sunday certainly gives me chills though.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Bill Hewitt is someone that was often criticized, in part at least because many saw him as having his job only because who his father was.
    Unfortunately Bill had some personal issues that nobody could or wanted to explain. Very interesting background on Bill and how little we remember and know him.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    His call of Vaughn's TD on Sunday certainly gives me chills though.
    When I listened to that I thought I don't remember him saying that. Then I clued in that was radio and CC was doing the TV. Rod definitely knows enough to change his style from radio to TV, he would have never done something to that extent on TV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    That was an unbelievable game, and an unbelievable experience to be there in those snowy, wet stands watching it all unfold. One of the greatest Grey Cups ever.

Vaughn, Posey and especially Black are now Argo legends for life. So are Ray, Laing and Cross.

It was so cool to see the two Canadians -- Black and the guy who essentially beat him out of a job, Gabriel -- back there together to seal the deal.

Ricky Ray is entitled to make whatever decision is best for him and his family, but I sure hope he comes back, and I expect he will. Who wouldn't want another year with these guys and this head coach? To me the bigger question is, what's the succession plan? Bethel-Thompson (whom some in the organization love) or, potentially, Collaros? Would ZC be willing to take a huge pay cut to apprentice again for a year under Ricky? I would love that but I don't know that the two QBs can both be accommodated, salary-wise. I don't think RR will sign another incentive-type deal. He's a team-first guy but that's asking a lot after what he delivered.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7