Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that, while Kaepernick is not all-pro-calibre, he's easily better than a lot of stiffs playing QB in the NFL, and he has been blackballed for his political views. I'd love to see him in the CFL both for his playing abilities and the statement it would make, but he's made clear that's not gonna happen.
    Sorry, I call shenanigans on that. He blindly generalizes about systemic racism of which there is no evidence. Sure, back in the days of Jim Crow and slavery of course there was, not now. Individual cases of racism, sure, but not every cop shooting a black guy is racism and even worse to bring their idiocies to this country where people will readily, willingly adopt them anyway is ludicrous.

Here's what he actually said: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The world is politicized enough without bringing this garbage to an entertainment event, I don't even think we should have the military there either and I'm a big supporter of our forces.

Can't we get away from this when watching a friggin' football game. It's bad enough our universities now are seeing fit to have Maoist struggle sessions at places like WLU, do we also need political games at our diversions from that?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Guess we disagree.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Ok, I see you don't want to get into it and frankly neither do I.

I just have one question, and maybe I already have my answer. Do you think it is ok to have "political" demonstrations like Kaepernick or honouring the military etc at a football game. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not sure if they should even do the national anthem anymore, not because of protests, but aside from history, does it still have its place at a professional non patriotic event.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post

I just have one question, and maybe I already have my answer. Do you think it is ok to have "political" demonstrations like Kaepernick or honouring the military etc at a football game. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not sure if they should even do the national anthem anymore, not because of protests, but aside from history, does it still have its place at a professional non patriotic event.
    Perhaps a forum called "Politics" (*) should be added to this site. There's clearly some pressure to extrude such material, as we see from time to time.

(*) Although I note that, in our brave new world, concerns that are essentially or even entirely a matter of fundamental human rights are very often pejoratively labeled "politics".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I've been a proponent of not doing anthems at sporting events for years. They don't do it at movie theatres anymore. I for one have never stood up in my home for an anthem. It's totally useless, similar to USA chants.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree, anthems should be saved for special occasions. The number of people at Argo games who disrespect the anthem, by walking/talking/leaving their hats on, is appalling. I am normally in my seat and see only what's around me, but before the last home game I got caught over near the players' walkway and I could not believe how many people in my vicinity failed to stop and shut up during the anthem.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've been a proponent of not doing anthems at sporting events for years. They don't do it at movie theatres anymore. I for one have never stood up in my home for an anthem. It's totally useless, similar to USA chants.
    I agree, anthems should be saved for special occasions. The number of people at Argo games who disrespect the anthem, by walking/talking/leaving their hats on, is appalling. I am normally in my seat and see only what's around me, but before the last home game I got caught over near the players' walkway and I could not believe how many people in my vicinity failed to stop and shut up during the anthem.
    Agree with both of you. Removing the anthems makes sense and would go a long way to taking the political nonsense out of sports and entertainment.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    To be fair at the last home game, half of the stadium didn’t know the anthem was taking place with the speakers experiencing technical difficulties. Now, I too see the same behaviour when the speakers do work.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Totally agree and I have to wonder WTF is wrong with people when they can't STFU for a minute, pardon the gratuitous profanity.

And why is it some "fans" can't STFU and feel they have to make some sort of "look at me I'm an idiot" disruption during a moment of silence. Keith Olbermann did a commentary on the moment of silence for Jean Belliveau and basically said it was the only moment of silence where some moron didn't do something. Rant off : )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I disagree. He was better than more than half the starting QB's in the NFL in 2016. Not his fault the team overall sucked.

As far as sacrificing his career, I don't believe he knew he was doing that. He may have just been naive in thinking all those old, white rich dudes that own teams would not black ball him for this.
    It's pretty racist to just assume they all think the same way just because they are all old, white and rich. Why rationalize individual thought when you can just profile an entire group of people because they all happen to be the same race, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    It's pretty racist to just assume they all think the same way just because they are all old, white and rich. Why rationalize individual thought when you can just profile an entire group of people because they all happen to be the same race, right?
    You're right. I forgot to through in Trump supporters.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Those "useless" USA chants helped rally Hacksaw Jim Duggan to many a victory my friend. Seriously though, when did movie theaters play the National Anthem? I don't recall that as a young, feckel faced lad.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Those "useless" USA chants helped rally Hacksaw Jim Duggan to many a victory my friend. Seriously though, when did movie theaters play the National Anthem? I don't recall that as a young, feckel faced lad.
    Yeah they did, in the 70s for sure and I know a guy who was a projectionist, so probably in the 90s as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Good to see Albertans out in the cold.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    BTW, Jumping the shark was the third episode of season 5, the show had a run of 11 seasons so as famous as that ep is, it didn't kill the show or signal the end. They all can't be winners, folks. In that same season came Mork from Ork.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Totally agree and I have to wonder WTF is wrong with people when they can't STFU for a minute, pardon the gratuitous profanity.

And why is it some "fans" can't STFU and feel they have to make some sort of "look at me I'm an idiot" disruption during a moment of silence. Keith Olbermann did a commentary on the moment of silence for Jean Belliveau and basically said it was the only moment of silence where some moron didn't do something. Rant off : )
    Speaking of Keith Olbermann, he tweeted about how much better the Grey Cup was compared to the NFL game going on at the same time. I have gotten the feeling in the past from him that he has a lot of respect for the Canadian game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan had a cup of coffee with the Argos in the 1970s.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Speaking of Keith Olbermann, he tweeted about how much better the Grey Cup was compared to the NFL game going on at the same time. I have gotten the feeling in the past from him that he has a lot of respect for the Canadian game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    To be fair at the last home game, half of the stadium didn’t know the anthem was taking place with the speakers experiencing technical difficulties. Now, I too see the same behaviour when the speakers do work.
    No, I meant last regular-season home game. The anthem was completely audible, yet people kept wandering around and talking to each other.