Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
While I somehow doubt that the 10 million loss number, here are some things to consider. If it was 10 million, it doesn't mean its 10 million per season. 10 million could have been a one off due to transitioning to BMO, office hires, excess marketing, launching a new brand, etc, etc. I think it is possible Bell/LT dropped a lot of cash on the Argos last season. I doubt anyone yet knows what they lost after this season. The other thing to note is, did Bell specifically invest in the Argos to make money off the Argos, or did they invest in the Argos to ensure one of their major TV assets, TSN, continued to have a team in the most significant TV market in Canada, for their CFL contract? Obviously they would wish to make money off the Argos, but do they actually care that much about that? Or do they think its a huge market TV wise, and that Toronto is the or at least one of the "trend" markets of Canada. If they can somehow make the CFL work in Toronto, it will only make the rest of Canada take notice and increase viewership elsewhere in the country. Again I don't think Bell is willing to lose 10 mill a year, if that's even true, but I don't think they care if they are making money directly from the team, not that they wouldn't like that, or are not trying for that.
Another thing to consider re: the 10M figure, is that they may be including the money spent on the purchase of the club. IF it's true they bought the team for 15 or 20M, they may be including a % of that over X number of years as part of their balance sheet.