Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Most important win in Argos history?

Hard to say what this game means at this point, especially how after 2012 brought no change, and its probably too early to see the effect it has but Pinball told Black that this victory may ultimately be the most important victory in Argos history? Is it? And what is in contention?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Hard to say what this game means at this point, especially how after 2012 brought no change, and its probably too early to see the effect it has but Pinball told Black that this victory may ultimately be the most important victory in Argos history? Is it? And what is in contention?
    This has to be up there. The 1982 regular season home win against the dynasty Esks is still one of the most significant games in Argo history IMO as is the 1983 Grey Cup but yesterday's game has to be in the top 5 at least. I still can't believe what happened.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I consider greatest as the best game one has seen in their opinion. But as far as how important his game was ... I expect next season this game will be crapped on around here when people see a crowd of 16K at a game. (Forgetting this is a loong fanbase rebuild)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This has to be up there. The 1982 regular season home win against the dynasty Esks is still one of the most significant games in Argo history IMO as is the 1983 Grey Cup but yesterday's game has to be in the top 5 at least. I still can't believe what happened.

Important for building up the fan base, vs. importance to the team and it's history?

The 83 GC win - following a very long, dry drought (52), encompassing my entire Argo fan history = greatest Argo win - to this fan anyways.

This one is maybe the nicest since then; 91 was pretty cool and a very good team; the back to back (96,97) powerhouse team was expected to win. This team rose from the ashes of a bad season to take the GC. And loved it that unsung Canadian players like Black & Cross played key roles.

Pull Together !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think we've reached the most important win yet, but I think the '96 Grey Cup could be up there, since some think it helped saved the League.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-28-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I don't think we've reached the most important win yet, but I think the '96 Grey Cup could be up there, since some think it helped saved the League.
    Some believe that a victory in the final regular season game of the 1995 season saved the country. Right, Ron?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    It'll be all about the follow-up.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Important for building up the fan base, vs. importance to the team and it's history?

Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    It'll be all about the follow-up.
    I think the above are both key and relevent statements. I don't think that this game in and of itself would stand out as the "greatest" in team history, given the other examples quoted above. However, it could be important in finally turning the corner to re-establishing the Argos in the Toronto sports scene. I know many thought our Grey Cup victory in 2012 in front of 53,000 fans would have done that, but the big difference is the change in ownership. That is why I agree 100% with Argofans.com. Under David Braley, no real followup was done to build any momentum. I think this time things will be different. The Argos are the first team to give Larry Tannenbaum a championship. Seeing him raise the Grey Cup was great, and it clearly meant a lot to him. I truly hope we look back in future years and see that this was perhaps the turning point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I truly hope we look back in future years and see that this was perhaps the turning point.
    I can see future folks looking at the GC as the turning point if you are correct ... but I would look at the 25K actual Toronto fans that they got at the EF as the real turning point in that case.

Sadly i don't expect any big turnaround as I am looking forward to a few seasons of "impatient attendance whining" on this site until the ship is truly turned.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    The last 2 games (EF & Grey Cup - take your pick) were the most important for this franchise in recent memory. The team is struggling for survival & for a return to relevance - both games were huge & massive successes in every way. Things to build on

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I consider greatest as the best game one has seen in their opinion. But as far as how important his game was ... I expect next season this game will be crapped on around here when people see a crowd of 16K at a game. (Forgetting this is a loong fanbase rebuild)
    Very possible, Ron. It wouldn't surprise me, but I really hope it doesn't happen.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thought about starting a new thread for this, but figured it would also work here, so here goes:
    Where would you rank this Grey Cup Victory in Argonauts lore ?

I've only been watching the Argos and CFL since '94, so I have to go with #1. '96 (the best Grey Cup I've ever seen), #2. '97, #3. 2012, #4 and 5. 2004 and 2017 could be swapped for each other.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The big difference between the 2012 Grey Cup and this one is BMO Field. I enjoy the game experience at BMO way better than Rogers Centre. If even a small bump occurred next year, say 1000 fans a game, it could build momentum as more people see the outdoor/grass difference with louder fans.

New Fan
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    The big difference between the 2012 Grey Cup and this one is BMO Field. I enjoy the game experience at BMO way better than Rogers Centre. If even a small bump occurred next year, say 1000 fans a game, it could build momentum as more people see the outdoor/grass difference with louder fans.
    This. The BMO Field factor and also that new owners will be way more savvy in taking advantage of this opportunity.

I'd also agree with the viewpoint stated earlier in this thread that it is the Eastern Final that is the more important game, where so many realized that the Argos were great to watch in a great arena. The Grey Cup final is the first step on the journey begun by that EF, in my opinion.

That said, and I know that Grey Cup figures are a little unrepresentative of a building turned, but can someone give a rough but decent estimate of how many Argo fans were at the game on Sunday?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Thought about starting a new thread for this, but figured it would also work here, so here goes:
    Where would you rank this Grey Cup Victory in Argonauts lore ?

I've only been watching the Argos and CFL since '94, so I have to go with #1. '96 (the best Grey Cup I've ever seen), #2. '97, #3. 2012, #4 and 5. 2004 and 2017 could be swapped for each other.
    For me, it was the most unexpected. I truly believed Calgary would win on Sunday, so I too would rank it up there. Call it a #1a next to the '83 cup win. The city went absolutely mad when they won that cup, and I would put it up there with either Blue Jays championship as far as celebration in the streets and parade go.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Clearly the most important win in team history was on a windswept afternoon at Rosedale Field in October 1873 when the lads from Hamilton first came to town...

More seriously, the '83 win has to be the most important. It ended the drought and led to mass celebration but also represents a high water mark and the beginning of a decline that we're still discussing 35 years later.

Obviously we can hope this year's EF and Grey Cup are the end of that tunnel but it's way too early to say.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:

Level
    Strictly speaking to the issue of the Argonauts survival, each win is more important than the last.

Last year TSN covered the CFL very well but the Argos had a depressing season. This time around TSN did a good job and we won it all. Call me optimistic but I believe I am slowly seeing the Argos carve at least a solid foundation in the Toronto sports scene. They are not quite there yet but everything is slowly falling into place. I think CFL coverage in Toronto was way up compared to 2012, and that was the 100th Grey Cup in Toronto.

I predict a crowd of 22,000 at next year's home opener. Only time will tell what happens from there.

Boatman
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    This. The BMO Field factor and also that new owners will be way more savvy in taking advantage of this opportunity.

I'd also agree with the viewpoint stated earlier in this thread that it is the Eastern Final that is the more important game, where so many realized that the Argos were great to watch in a great arena. The Grey Cup final is the first step on the journey begun by that EF, in my opinion.

That said, and I know that Grey Cup figures are a little unrepresentative of a building turned, but can someone give a rough but decent estimate of how many Argo fans were at the game on Sunday?
    If you take away both Hamilton and Calgary fans that were there, my guess the rest cheered on the Argos.
    It was strange this year ,i live in Bomberland and work with alot of of bomberfans.i got a crap load of go argos tx at game time

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    I was at the game and saw quite a lot of Argo fans, but difficult to estimate numbers. Most of the Ottawa fans were cheering for the Argos (surprise!). There were sizeable concentrations of double blue on the lower North side and lower South behind the Argos bench. The upper North seemed to have more Calgary fans. There were probably a few hundred Argo fans who came down to the lower North to watch the GC presentation (but most didn't stay long because it was cold &#128512.

All in all, based on what I saw on Sunday and also at The Shipyard on Saturday night, I'm thinking maybe 1,500-2,000 dedicated Argo fans were at the game, which doesn't sound like a lot, but you have to remember that a lot of Ottawa fans kept their tickets and every other team (except Mtl, oddly) was well represented, as is normal at all GCs.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd say the crowd was pro-Argo.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022