Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.
Moving it up a week or two (which they've done now anyways) and going back to one bye week, I'd have no issue with, but I dislike the notion of moving it up 4-5 weeks as if it'll sell considerably more tickets. The League needs to take a look at attendance during the summer months, I'm pretty sure the nice weather hasn't helped Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Winnipeg, etc sell more tickets. The Riders didn't sell out their final regular season game due to it being a meaningless game, I'm sure weather had an affect, but nowhere near what some make it out to be. IMO the biggest issue facing the League is that indifference and apathy from the fanbase seems to be rearing it ugly head again, moving the season up or down won't help that - The League needs to re-engage the fanbase, and find ways to get the naysayers on board, the apathetic and new fans/Canadians.

I'm also not a fan of how the CFL (and NHL) for that matter are extending the season with adding bye weeks, and using the player safety excuse. It's pretty clear that it's being done to lengthen the season to ensure that they're kept in the sports conversation longer. Personally I don't need the CFL to be on from May to November, nor do I need the NHL to be on from September to late late, it's just ridiculous, and IMO saturate the viewing experience, which IMO is why the NFL ratings are declining so much. Previously the NFL only played on Sundays, then added MNF, then years later added TNF - Interesting that after adding Thursday Night Football, the NFL's ratings on started to decline at an alarming rate within 3 years.