Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.
    Moving it up a week or two (which they've done now anyways) and going back to one bye week, I'd have no issue with, but I dislike the notion of moving it up 4-5 weeks as if it'll sell considerably more tickets. The League needs to take a look at attendance during the summer months, I'm pretty sure the nice weather hasn't helped Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Winnipeg, etc sell more tickets. The Riders didn't sell out their final regular season game due to it being a meaningless game, I'm sure weather had an affect, but nowhere near what some make it out to be. IMO the biggest issue facing the League is that indifference and apathy from the fanbase seems to be rearing it ugly head again, moving the season up or down won't help that - The League needs to re-engage the fanbase, and find ways to get the naysayers on board, the apathetic and new fans/Canadians.

I'm also not a fan of how the CFL (and NHL) for that matter are extending the season with adding bye weeks, and using the player safety excuse. It's pretty clear that it's being done to lengthen the season to ensure that they're kept in the sports conversation longer. Personally I don't need the CFL to be on from May to November, nor do I need the NHL to be on from September to late late, it's just ridiculous, and IMO saturate the viewing experience, which IMO is why the NFL ratings are declining so much. Previously the NFL only played on Sundays, then added MNF, then years later added TNF - Interesting that after adding Thursday Night Football, the NFL's ratings on started to decline at an alarming rate within 3 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.
    The additional US television money and better attendance at the end of the season will more than make it worth their while going forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argobouncer View Post
    Notice TSN's VP says he & the network are ok with moving the season up a 'couple of weeks' earlier. not 4-5 weeks. The CFL even did this before with a 9 team league in 2003 when the Grey Cup was held on Nov. 16. I think after negotiating & all is said & done & looked at, the league will land on 2-3 weeks earlier - which is about right imo.
    Having the Grey Cup the first Sunday in November every year would be perfect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The additional US television money and better attendance at the end of the season will more than make it worth their while going forward.
    I have yet to see evidence that either will materialize. I really, really doubt that NFL Network or ESPN are just dying to have more Cdn football in the summer to the tune of millions of dollars. And I'll repeat what I've written before -- IMO attendance would be adversely affected in Toronto and other eastern markets, where cottages and weekend getaways are a big part of summer culture. I think any gain from earlier playoff games on the Prairies would be offset by losses out here.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Again, the 3 weeks they would be head to head during the Stanley Cup playoffs, IMO would cost them more in ticket sales, than the 2 weeks in November. I've already done a comparison to playoff attendance vs regular season attendance this year. Only Winnipeg was below their average, and it was only by 300 tickets. Calgary was higher. Ottawa was their usual sell out. And Toronto was almost 60% higher than their average. Had Winnipeg hosted the Western final, they too likely would have been higher.

The notion that fans stay away in cold weather is without basis. Those that do, are absolutely in the minority.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Again, the 3 weeks they would be head to head during the Stanley Cup playoffs, IMO would cost them more in ticket sales, than the 2 weeks in November. I've already done a comparison to playoff attendance vs regular season attendance this year. Only Winnipeg was below their average, and it was only by 300 tickets. Calgary was higher. Ottawa was their usual sell out. And Toronto was almost 60% higher than their average. Had Winnipeg hosted the Western final, they too likely would have been higher.

The notion that fans stay away in cold weather is without basis. Those that do, are absolutely in the minority.
    Canadian teams aren't known for having long playoff runs lately.

Len Rhodes disagrees with your assessment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    From an outsider's perspective, it would be interesting to see regular season games start the second week in June and the Grey Cup be the second or first weekend in November (and have no second bye week). But this is coming from someone who doesn't like hockey.

My thought is the less the season goes up against the NFL the better. But maybe that is not as big a deal as I am thinking?

Also, what is the interest in Canada in the Stanley Cup finals when no Canadian teams are involved?
    If Carolina and San Jose are playing, would that still draw away from the CFL opening weeks?

If all the Canadian teams are eliminated after the second round, would the CFL be better starting up with its first game around June 10th?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm interested to see how much stronger ratings and attendance numbers are in June, July, and August compared to September, October, and November (minus playoffs and the Grey Cup). Ratings go up in September and I've yet to see an increase of empty seats during the Fall.

Len Rhodes is probably the worst example to make your point Neely. The Eskimos used to average over 38,000 just before he got there, and now they barely manage 30k. Also, IIRC he took over $100k from the football budget one year to bring in half time shows.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Canadian teams aren't known for having long playoff runs lately.

Len Rhodes disagrees with your assessment.
    I really don't think it matters. Canadian sports networks are all over the playoffs regardless of who is participating. The lack of exposure alone will result in less butts in the seats at that time. The league needs all the top sports billing it can get. They get it from mid June until October, and throughout the month of November.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'm interested to see how much stronger ratings and attendance numbers are in June, July, and August compared to September, October, and November (minus playoffs and the Grey Cup). Ratings go up in September and I've yet to see an increase of empty seats during the Fall.

Len Rhodes is probably the worst example to make your point Neely. The Eskimos used to average over 38,000 just before he got there, and now they barely manage 30k. Also, IIRC he took over $100k from the football budget one year to bring in half time shows.
    I'm with you on this 100%. IMO, it would be a colossal failure to move it up 4-6 weeks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With TSN lukewarm at best (based on the comments in the story), I find it hard to believe the league would make a change of more than a week or two without having to compensate the primary rights-holder. So there goes some of the extra money this is in theory going to bring in. I have to believe MLSE is telling Ambrosie it's a bad idea for the Argos and for Bell, and he better be listening. If the western clubs get their way over eastern objections, his honeymoon period could end abruptly.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    From an outsider's perspective, it would be interesting to see regular season games start the second week in June and the Grey Cup be the second or first weekend in November (and have no second bye week). But this is coming from someone who doesn't like hockey.

My thought is the less the season goes up against the NFL the better. But maybe that is not as big a deal as I am thinking?

Also, what is the interest in Canada in the Stanley Cup finals when no Canadian teams are involved?
    If Carolina and San Jose are playing, would that still draw away from the CFL opening weeks?

If all the Canadian teams are eliminated after the second round, would the CFL be better starting up with its first game around June 10th?
    I don't see the NFL being a huge factor here. The CFL's playoffs outdraws the NFL every year. I saw the NFL's TV ratings for 2017 in a Toronto Sun article yesterday and, while they draw a bit higher average TV audiences than the CFL, that is mostly because the NFL is available "over the air" in Canada and not exclusively on cable as is the CFL. In fact, I believe the Sunday night NFL audiences rose considerably in Canada in 2017 but only because the games appeared on BOTH TSN and CTV Two simultaneously. Anyway, that is a whole other conversation.

The key competition for the CFL in Canada is the NHL and, to a lesser degree, MLB and NBA. Starting the season in May does not do the CFL any favours when they are going head-to-head with the Stanley Cup Playoffs and maybe the Raptors, depending on how well they are doing.

The season should only be moved up two weeks at the most and that is what TSN only seems comfortable with so that the Grey Cup is still in mid-November when the CFL is able to get much more of the spotlight to themselves.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post

Canadian NHL ratings drop massively when there's no Canadian team involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian NHL ratings drop massively when there's no Canadian team involved.
    At this point in the season, there are only three Canadian teams in contention for the playoffs, as Edmonton, Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa are all well behind in the standings. Furthermore, Calgary is on the borderline between being in or out of the playoffs. However, for the Argos, the Leafs have a six point plus margin for the last playoff spot. So barring another Leaf swoon song, the Argos could well have to contend with the Leafs soaking up media attention in the buildup to the start of the CFL season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    At this point in the season, there are only three Canadian teams in contention for the playoffs, as Edmonton, Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa are all well behind in the standings. Furthermore, Calgary is on the borderline between being in or out of the playoffs. However, for the Argos, the Leafs have a six point plus margin for the last playoff spot. So barring another Leaf swoon song, the Argos could well have to contend with the Leafs soaking up media attention in the buildup to the start of the CFL season.
    Exactly. It's not even entirely about ratings. The league needs all the media attention it can get at key points in the year. TSN and every other media platform are all over the Stanley Cup playoffs, whether there are Canadian teams still in contention or not. Rogers as the rights holders for NHL are even deeper in. The way the season is now, the league has full media attention at the start of the season, and throughout their playoffs, which start after the World Series. Why on earth would they want to give that up?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Exactly. It's not even entirely about ratings. The league needs all the media attention it can get at key points in the year. TSN and every other media platform are all over the Stanley Cup playoffs, whether there are Canadian teams still in contention or not. Rogers as the rights holders for NHL are even deeper in. The way the season is now, the league has full media attention at the start of the season, and throughout their playoffs, which start after the World Series. Why on earth would they want to give that up?
    Makes sense. So the league basically shouldn't go any earlier than it is this year, with regular season games starting June 14-16.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Increased ticket sales and increased US TV $.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Increased ticket sales and increased US TV $.
    Sure, if you say so. I say it will result in overall decrease in ticket sales. Less press = less awareness. And even if the US TV deal brought in 10M per year, which I have doubts on, that is not significant enough on a per team basis.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sure, if you say so. I say it will result in overall decrease in ticket sales. Less press = less awareness. And even if the US TV deal brought in 10M per year, which I have doubts on, that is not significant enough on a per team basis.
    It's probable that the next US TV deal will be worth more than the current Canadian TV deal.