Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This whole thing about colder weather keeping away fans to me is bs. Should be noted the biggest crowd to ever see the Argos play at BMO was also the coldest day in which they have played a game there. It was also pretty cold for the TFC game last week. I didn't see their fans stay away and complain that the season ends too late.
    That might pertain more to the Western fans. I wonder (don't know) if the playoff ticket pricing may be a little out of whack. I always seem to notice the Bomber attendance going down (could be wrong), when for a big game it should be going up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    That might pertain more to the Western fans. I wonder (don't know) if the playoff ticket pricing may be a little out of whack. I always seem to notice the Bomber attendance going down (could be wrong), when for a big game it should be going up.
    Another reason to buy Argos season tickets. A playoff ticket is included in the package.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    I posted this on the main CFL boards too.

I had a conversation with someone at my church who went to his first Argos game with his son at the home finale and followed up by going to the Eastern final. Had a great time and his kids (ages 9 and 7) and are now bugging him to get seasons next year....he may do a 2-3 games instead due to time restraints but overall some new fans for the Argos were created.

I will say they're right in the demographics the Argos and the league in general are trying to get in the doors. In other words not old and white!
    We brought up the schedule and told him the league was considering moving it up for the playoffs/Grey Cup in October. His thoughts?.....it's a no brainer to make this move.

Though a sample size much like this site, curious view from one outside of the core.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    Actually, contrary to popular opinion, you will find CFL attendance as a whole actually declines in October and November (specifically in the west). Look at CFL database attendance figures. Without question its because of the colder weather. With the exception of the GC playoff games in the CFL seem to have a problem with attendance - the west final this year (battle of alberta) was 6k shy of a sellout yet the regular season tilt between these two teams drew more at McMahon in August. Last regular season game in Calgary was played under snow and, while paid atrendance was 25k or so, the stadium was more than half empty. I dont agree with moving the season back as more as the new CFL commish suggests but think somewhere in the middle would do the league good. Have the regular start mid June and have the grey cup in the first or second week of november the latest.
    So I wonder where did the myth of attendance increasing after Labour Day come from? Perhaps it's a Toronto only thing from when we played indoors at the Rogers Centre?

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm one who doesn't want to see the schedule moved but the more I look at the empirical evidence the more I think maybe it should be moved. The problem is similar to some of the issues the league has with TSN. Although you might be achieving short term gain, in the long term will it be good for the league. To move the season almost into a spring/summer league like the USFL better take a boatload of long term cash right now.

Hindsight being 20/20, the NHL took more cash (double) in an ill advised deal with SportsChannel America instead of staying with ESPN and getting more exposure. They've never recovered from that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't know what evidence people are looking at to show support for attendance decreasing in the fall. The year-by-year charts at https://stats.cfldb.ca/ seems to show ups and downs throughout each season, with ups as likely to come at the end as anywhere else in the schedule. There are nifty graphics showing week-by-week attendance each season as a line graph, and in looking at the past 10 years I see no evidence that attendance declines consistently in October/November.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I've always subscribed to the notion that toronto hits the cottage on summer weekends, even though none of my friends have cottages.

But, having froze in that eastern final, I'm thinking why not play in the summer?

Have the grey cup thanksgiving sunday, make it a uniquely canadian tradition like nfl thanksgiving thursday.

If there's some nfl network tv money, even better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Football is a game that can be played in all weathers. Most CFL fans are well versed in how to dress for cold and snowy weather. Most fans I know, would rather watch a game in snowy, -5C weather than in warmer but rainy weather, especially if it is a heavy downpour. It is also part of the CFL history and tradition, that some of the most memorable games have been played in cold snowy conditions. Talking to fans, who watched this year's GC, not one person complained about the cold --after all we are Canadians!

There are some sports which can't be played in cold/snowy conditions --obviously baseball is a good example. With the upcoming MLS championship game, possibly being played in sub zero temperatures and perhaps even heavy snow, one has to ask what is their league thinking, having a schedule that allows the game to be played in these conditions. If one appreciates soccer and the skill set required of top players, playing in very cold and heavy snow conditions is a definite detriment. For the sake of the game, perhaps MLS should either move to a summer/fall schedule or have the championship game played, where there is a better guarantee of good weather.

Sorry, got off topic---hopefully the CFL schedule will continue to retain the GC on the traditional late November date. If the money enticement is so large that the league can't refuse to turn it down, then I guess we may see the GC scheduled as early as October. But IMO it would be a pity, if that does come to pass.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Football is a game that can be played in all weathers. Most CFL fans are well versed in how to dress for cold and snowy weather. Most fans I know, would rather watch a game in snowy, -5C weather than in warmer but rainy weather, especially if it is a heavy downpour. It is also part of the CFL history and tradition, that some of the most memorable games have been played in cold snowy conditions. Talking to fans, who watched this year's GC, not one person complained about the cold --after all we are Canadians!

There are some sports which can't be played in cold/snowy conditions --obviously baseball is a good example. With the upcoming MLS championship game, possibly being played in sub zero temperatures and perhaps even heavy snow, one has to ask what is their league thinking, having a schedule that allows the game to be played in these conditions. If one appreciates soccer and the skill set required of top players, playing in very cold and heavy snow conditions is a definite detriment. For the sake of the game, perhaps MLS should either move to a summer/fall schedule or have the championship game played, where there is a better guarantee of good weather.

Sorry, got off topic---hopefully the CFL schedule will continue to retain the GC on the traditional late November date. If the money enticement is so large that the league can't refuse to turn it down, then I guess we may see the GC scheduled as early as October. But IMO it would be a pity, if that does come to pass.
    MLS schedule started March 3 & ends Dec. 9 this year. The schedule is so long they are already taking advantage of the best weather Toronto can offer. Really they take 3 winter months off then start again - ridiculously long schedule & not really appropriate outdoors even in Toronto. Montreal & Vancouver use their domes when needed & I guess Toronto FC can & has too at Rogers Centre - but hasn't for playoff games. Will be wintry this year.

I think ideally the CFL should move the season up 2 weeks to take advantage of better weather esp. on the prairies. The Grey Cup has been played mid Nov before - most recently 2003 on Nov. 16

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argobouncer View Post
    I think ideally the CFL should move the season up 2 weeks to take advantage of better weather esp. on the prairies. The Grey Cup has been played mid Nov before - most recently 2003 on Nov. 16
    And this I have no problem with. I've stated that the league should make the final weekend of October the end of the regular season and market the first 3 weekends in November as Grey Cup month. Under this scenario, the Grey cup would be played anywhere from Nov 15-23. This would avoid the start of the season going against Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Grey Cup playoffs going against the world series. The CFL can't afford to have little to no media coverage over these time periods.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just to be clear--my spreadsheet is in relation to the Argos only. I don't have any intention of doing an analysis for all league teams.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    And this I have no problem with. I've stated that the league should make the final weekend of October the end of the regular season and market the first 3 weekends in November as Grey Cup month. Under this scenario, the Grey cup would be played anywhere from Nov 15-23. This would avoid the start of the season going against Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Grey Cup playoffs going against the world series. The CFL can't afford to have little to no media coverage over these time periods.
    I also wouldn't have a problem with 1-3 weeks of moving up the schedule. 2 weeks would probably be the optimum of that situation. You avoid the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs that would conflict with 3 weeks, and have a slightly better chance at better weather than at 1 week. But maybe I'm in the minority, but I love these fairly rare snowbowl games. I think they make the game more interesting. The bitter cold on the other hand, that's probably not good for anyone or anything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:

Level
    It is December 10 and I am watching Buffalo and Indy playing in conditions that make the Grey Cup look like it was played in the Bahamas. Maybe the NFL should consider moving their schedule up as well? For me I say leave the schedule alone. Weather is and always has been part of the game. Hike up your skirts ladies and play on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    For me I say leave the schedule alone. Weather is and always has been part of the game. Hike up your skirts ladies and play on.
    The heck with the NFL. Do we need Soccer fans calling out CFL fans for being pussies? lol They play in the cold and damp of spring to a fortnight before Christmas

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    A retractable roofed stadium was being talked about previously for a proposed new Bills Stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sounds like the idea is gaining traction:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/football...son-up-a-month

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't know, I'm reading at best lukewarm support from TSN for the idea. I can't see the league overriding its wishes on this. Maybe a week or two, likely not the five weeks Ambrosie was talking about earlier.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Notice TSN's VP says he & the network are ok with moving the season up a 'couple of weeks' earlier. not 4-5 weeks. The CFL even did this before with a 9 team league in 2003 when the Grey Cup was held on Nov. 16. I think after negotiating & all is said & done & looked at, the league will land on 2-3 weeks earlier - which is about right imo.