Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    According to cfl.ca, we have 23 pending FAs. Here's the list, along with my predictions/wishes/notes about each:
    • BASS, Khalil -- useful guy to re-sign, obviously not essential
    • BISHOP, Ken -- since we still have Wynn and Cash, re-sign only at a low price
    • BLACK, Matt -- will likely retire, all the best to him
    • EDWARDS, Armanti -- must re-sign, but price will be high
    • FAJARDO, Cody -- I'd like him back, as holder/short-yardage and depth guy, but salary has to stay below $100k
    • FULLER, Jeff -- let him walk
    • GABRIEL, Jermaine -- must re-sign, but price will be high
    • GREEN, S.J. -- must re-sign, but price may be high
    • HAJRULLAHU, Lirim -- must re-sign, I expect we will get him back
    • LAING, Cleyon -- Really want him back but price will be high; I expect he will try NFL again and/or get CFL offers
    • MITCHELL, Josh -- would like to see what he can do, but he has zero bargaining power, may be let go
    • MURRAY, Derico -- valuable guy who should be re-signed if possible
    • OWUSU-ANSAH, Akwasi -- I'd like him back but he is replaceable (Darby)
    • POSEY, DeVier -- definitely want him back but he'll probably get NFL and CFL offers; I think 50/50 at best
    • RAY, Ricky -- really, really hope he re-signs; after hearing him yesterday, I think 50/50 at best
    • SEARS JR., Johnny -- depth guy, can be replaced, let him go
    • VAUGHN, Cassius -- should be a priority signing, warrants a decent raise
    • WALKER, Cameron -- has no barg power, I'm fine with bringing him back but there are other guys who can fill his role on STs
    • WAUD, Daryl -- after three seasons of almost no game action, he'll be allowed to walk and will probably sign with Hamilton
    • WHITAKER, Brandon -- will likely retire, all the best to him
    • WHITE, Mitchell -- I'd like him back but he is replaceable (Darby); I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Ottawa
    • WOODS, Bear -- must re-sign IMO; he along with Ball and Lemon is key to the defence
    I agree with your must sign guys. I would like to see them go after Posey if the CFL bidding doesn't get prohibitive. I'm not certain he will draw tons of NFL interest having already had three kicks at the can their, and being 28 next year with some injury history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is growing speculation that QB James Franklin will sign with his former boss, Chris Jones.

Franklin is set to be eyeing a one-year deal and his name has already been linked with Saskatchewan, where GM/head coach Chris Jones is fully aware of the potential and explosive play Franklin can bring to the field.
    The Riders will have to decide on Brandon Bridge, who announced following the team’s loss to the Argos in the East final, that negotiations have begun.
    http://torontosun.com/sports/footbal...gn-on-to-argos

If Franklin does sign with the Riders, it's more likely that Brandon Bridge will head elsewhere, possibly giving the Argos a chance to get him.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't get the Bridge to Toronto link. Not a prototypical Trestman QB and it was Jim Popp who tried converting Bridge to receiver and ultimately the reason why he left for Saskatchewan.

And i'm not buying the whole "A Canadian QB will be good for the TO market"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don't get the Bridge to Toronto link. Not a prototypical Trestman QB and it was Jim Popp who tried converting Bridge to receiver and ultimately the reason why he left for Saskatchewan.

Everybody, including Popp, makes mistakes. IMO, Bridge an Argonaut would be the best news since waking up on a recent Monday morning to see "Argonauts 27 - Stampeders 24". Similarly, a Canadian QB, from the GTA, in the GTA market can only help, not hinder. I find that idea pleasant to contemplate, and I'm sure a healthy number of other current, returning, and future fans (will) feel the same.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I think people are really overrating him because he's from Toronto. He showed signs of great ability, but still showed signs of being inconsistent. I hope he turns out to be great, but I'm still not sold that it's a slam dunk at this point. Jonathan Jennings was supposed to have a super season in 2017 and by the end of the season his future as a starter is being questioned.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bridge doesn't look like a superstar to me, way too inconsistent IMO. Seems to me that his passport is why some think he's amazing. Things could change, and he does need more starting reps, but I'm just not convinced at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Bridge doesn't look like a superstar to me, way too inconsistent IMO. Seems to me that his passport is why some think he's amazing. Things could change, and he does need more starting reps, but I'm just not convinced at this point.
    He has great mobility, size and a very strong arm but most importantly an extremely small sample size as a starter.
    Would be Russian roulette in handing him a starting job at this point.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I see Sean McEwen is the all-star center which is not unexpected. He could be the next one headed South, but hopefully has one more year on his contract. Keeping the O Line together for next year might factor into Ricky coming back for another year.

New Fan
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Sean has 2 years remaining on his current contact - after year 1 he was extended through 2019..........

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post

Looks like he was D.Priority #1. Makes sense. All-Star Ratio buster who is in his prime at 27. Although I'd really like to see SJ Green, Edwards and Posey all back, there are some excellent Receivers available as options for replacement. There are significantly less homebrew all-star defensive players.

I had him pegged as one that may fly the coop.

Excellent signing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Agree with Jon G, an excellent signing. Any time a team can sign a 27 year old All-Eastern All Star who is National, it is a real coup. It also appears that Popp has learned from his Montreal experience and made sure the team has a first rate QB in the wings if and when Ray retires.

Really like the way the team is shaping up for next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Excellent signing!

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is great news! The Argos had one of the best front four's in the league last year and with Laing re-signing this, I believe, means that they will all be back. One of the things that Popp and the rest of the front office did well last year was put together plenty of depth in the front four. IIRC, Wynn was not a game #1 starter, but emerged in that spot due to injuries. Gaydosh and Finley also contributed positively.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If it's true he signed a two-year deal, that's huge. Means he has abandoned the NFL dream and won't join the parade of one-year free agents every season. He's a massively important piece of the defence.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Excellent !

Love to see that D-line come back and play a full season together & stay healthy. Laing & Wynn at DT (with Finley or Gaydosh as capable rotation guys), and Lemon & Butler at DE is league best calibre IMO; just like to see another DE emerge as a rotation guy to help there - IMO the 2 DEs were not often full force all game long and most CFL teams now seem to go with plenty of rotation on their D-lines - keeps guys fresh/gives a different look to the O-line. Disappointing, IMO, that the Argos 2nd draft pick last year - Evan Foster - did not emerge for at least some playing time at DE - maybe he wasn't ready and could be now after some good ole "seasoning"? Meanwhile - 5th rounder DE Kwaku Boateng was an instant impact player for the Esks when he got a shot to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Excellent !

Love to see that D-line come back and play a full season together & stay healthy. Laing & Wynn at DT (with Finley or Gaydosh as capable rotation guys), and Lemon & Butler at DE is league best calibre IMO; just like to see another DE emerge as a rotation guy to help there - IMO the 2 DEs were not often full force all game long and most CFL teams now seem to go with plenty of rotation on their D-lines - keeps guys fresh/gives a different look to the O-line. Disappointing, IMO, that the Argos 2nd draft pick last year - Evan Foster - did not emerge for at least some playing time at DE - maybe he wasn't ready and could be now after some good ole "seasoning"? Meanwhile - 5th rounder DE Kwaku Boateng was an instant impact player for the Esks when he got a shot to play.
    I think both Tuggle and Davis were quite good filling in for Lemon and Butler.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think both Tuggle and Davis were quite good filling in for Lemon and Butler.
    Tuggle in particular made an impact as the season wore on. Davis's play tailed off a bit IMO (maybe because he played too many snaps with the injuries to Butler and Lemon), but he was decent and will probably be better (as many guys are) in Year 2.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't expect every FA to be re-signed but seeing a core Canadian be a priority for Popp shows that they are moving in the right direction. I never would have originally thought Laing to be loyal to the Argos with constant rumours to Edmonton, and all the the NFL trails, BUT during his last NFL go around he still attended Argos games. May be from Edmonton, but I do think he considers Toronto home now. And i'm glad he saw the light and wants to be here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I have to believe Popp will get just about everybody he really wants back to defend the Cup. How much did each player on the Argo's make for winning the Grey Cup. I don't know (25,000-30,000) total? That's huge for some of these guys making 60,000.
    So Popp's pitch can be "hey we can do it again if you sign with us".
    Still think Ricky is coming back and will get well paid. He could be doing off season work for MLSE making an extra 250,000 out there in California checking out the sand on the beach for all we know. Oh and then sign for just another 250,000 to make sure they're under the cap. Tiger-Cat fans want to make sure the Argo's don't go over the cap. lol

About signing other teams FA's? Don't believe Popp will break the bank trying to sign anybody, just remind them there always a good chance of making that extra playoff money. It is much cheaper to find guys at their free agent camps that have been out of football for a year and are hungry. Guys like Butler, Tuggle, Wilder, Wynn and Campbell etc. were just names signed in the off season. Turned out pretty good IMO. But hey if a player like Messam wants to play for his home town for a reasonable amount. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Wilder in the same backfield. I think Wilder is a great receiver coming out of the back field BTW. Travis Bond would be an upgrade at guard. The #1 job on offense is throwing up a wall to protect Ricky IMO and what better way to upgrade that than by signing Messam (6'3 255) and Bond (6'7 350). The Cross fans might be upset, but you go for all the marbles as long as Ricky Ray is performing at a high level. 3 and 1 happens very often in the CFL and what better guy to have back there than Jerome Messam. Cross could still get his minutes and play ST's where he's also needed. Sound like fantasy? Hey it's the off season and dreaming time.