Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
I have to believe Popp will get just about everybody he really wants back to defend the Cup. How much did each player on the Argo's make for winning the Grey Cup. I don't know (25,000-30,000) total? That's huge for some of these guys making 60,000.
So Popp's pitch can be "hey we can do it again if you sign with us".
Still think Ricky is coming back and will get well paid. He could be doing off season work for MLSE making an extra 250,000 out there in California checking out the sand on the beach for all we know. Oh and then sign for just another 250,000 to make sure they're under the cap. Tiger-Cat fans want to make sure the Argo's don't go over the cap. lol

About signing other teams FA's? Don't believe Popp will break the bank trying to sign anybody, just remind them there always a good chance of making that extra playoff money. It is much cheaper to find guys at their free agent camps that have been out of football for a year and are hungry. Guys like Butler, Tuggle, Wilder, Wynn and Campbell etc. were just names signed in the off season. Turned out pretty good IMO. But hey if a player like Messam wants to play for his home town for a reasonable amount. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Wilder in the same backfield. I think Wilder is a great receiver coming out of the back field BTW. Travis Bond would be an upgrade at guard. The #1 job on offense is throwing up a wall to protect Ricky IMO and what better way to upgrade that than by signing Messam (6'3 255) and Bond (6'7 350). The Cross fans might be upset, but you go for all the marbles as long as Ricky Ray is performing at a high level. 3 and 1 happens very often in the CFL and what better guy to have back there than Jerome Messam. Cross could still get his minutes and play ST's where he's also needed. Sound like fantasy? Hey it's the off season and dreaming time.
If Messam and Wilder are in the back field together, can't see how Cross can still get his Offensive minutes, so if the team is not going to continue with his development then send him somewhere where he can continue to develop.