Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Next year's receiving corps

A couple of days ago Dunk mentioned that teams have been inquiring about SJ Green. Ordinarily I'd say that this would be a good time to cash in an aging-but-still-valuable receiver, but... could we afford to?

It seems as though our receiving corps is nothing but question marks other than Edwards (a very good #2 or #1b slotback) and JWJ (a very good receiving RB). Green is still productive, but is he still a #1 receiver? What can Carter do for us? Can we count on Coombs to be productive? Is Noel ready to be a regular starter?

I haven't seen enough to judge 2018 Duron Carter. Is there any doubt that Green is still our best guy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    A couple of days ago Dunk mentioned that teams have been inquiring about SJ Green. Ordinarily I'd say that this would be a good time to cash in an aging-but-still-valuable receiver, but... could we afford to?

It seems as though our receiving corps is nothing but question marks other than Edwards (a very good #2 or #1b slotback) and JWJ (a very good receiving RB). Green is still productive, but is he still a #1 receiver? What can Carter do for us? Can we count on Coombs to be productive? Is Noel ready to be a regular starter?

I haven't seen enough to judge 2018 Duron Carter. Is there any doubt that Green is still our best guy?
    Dunk is putting two and two together and getting eight. I don't see the Argos making such a move. This isn't baseball or hockey. As good as Green is, it isn't like the Argos could get a first round draft pick or anything like that for him either. Green is far too valuable to the Argos to trade and I still believe that he has at least one or two more solid seasons left in him. He is also a leader in the dressing room.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Achievements:

Level
    Could Carter replace Green as our #1 target, Ravi?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think Carter will be the guy next year. Of coarse with free agency being what it is these days, almost impossible to predict.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I've heard that when Carter arrived, he and Franklin looked very good in practice (unlike MBT-Carter). After seeing a flash of chemistry between the two in the BC game, there may be some validity to this statement.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argo's should also be able to add a one or more quality national receivers from next year's draft.The talent is
    that good at the receiver position with players who can make immediate contributions. Dejon Brisset, Hergy Malaya, Justin McInnis, Trivel Pinto, Kurleigh Gittens, Alexandre Savard, Brayden Dickey, Kaon Julien-Grant, Colton Hunchak, etc...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    From the current roster, and if all were healthy for next TC - IMO there is a possibility of a real good receiving corps - with Green, Edwards, Coombs, Noel & Carter able to form a 5 pack ( + Cross still goes in at H-back some).

However - that would suppose Green staying healthy or not losing a step; AND Coombs finally staying healthy; plus Carter having his head on straight and accepting whatever role is demanded of him and not being a distraction.

I think there will probably be lots of new import receivers brought in for TC competition = good; and the notion above of going to next year's interesting draft crop to maybe find a real good one is a possibility; but it would probably take a 1st or 2nd rounder, and it would mean being open minded to Canadian talent playing at least 2 or more spots in the 5 pack (is that draft pick going to be an upgrade over Coombs & Noel, or Ralph or Williams ?) - otherwise, why burn a top draft pick on a guy who is viewed as a development project / not ready to play type who sits on the bench - we got that with burning a 1st rounder on Brian Jones. Draft a DE like Betts or Kongbo, and then get the best O-lineman next = addressing big areas of need.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Pass rush and O-Line should be the first area(s) of need addressed in this year’s draft which should be achievable if Popp uses his noggin.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Achievements:

Level
    It seems unlikely that we'll draft anyone, even at #1, that will make a major impact next year. But we'd better get at least one guy who will do that in the long run...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    It seems unlikely that we'll draft anyone, even at #1, that will make a major impact next year. But we'd better get at least one guy who will do that in the long run...

I'd have to disagree - big-time there; Betts (with one of the all-time best Canadian college ball DE resumes) or Kongbo (starter at a big Div I program) are potential draft picks at DE to address a huge current Argo weakness, and i find it laughable to think neither of those 2 couldn't possibly be an instant upgrade over the mediocres the Argos have been trotting out at DE lately. Look at what Boateng has done for the Esks from rookie on in (and the Argos could have easily drafted him); and Betts is arguably the much more talented & accomplished DE out of college ball. Aim high, address areas of need with the draft, and maybe it works out - be nice to get another Jim Corrigall. Thinking long-term back-ups or projects with a 1st round draft pick is just so myopic.

Achievements:

Level
    Do you really think Trestman is going to give a raw rookie a lot of starts, OV? That doesn't seem consistent with his history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I would have liked to see the Argos keep Martese Jackson and develop him into a receiver with speed to burn DBs, just as they did with Chad Owens and Hamilton did with Brandon Banks. We still need a deep threat to keep defences worried about being bombed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    One of the players I'd like to see get some playing time is Marcus Alford. A 7th round NFL selection, he could be one of the very fastest players in the league. Though small, he has outstanding potential and with nothing on the line for the rest of this season, it would be a good time to see if he can deliver on that potential.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I would have liked to see the Argos keep Martese Jackson and develop him into a receiver with speed to burn DBs, just as they did with Chad Owens and Hamilton did with Brandon Banks. We still need a deep threat to keep defences worried about being bombed.
    Difference being that Banks and Owens were already trained receivers that just happened to be great returners. Jackson is a running back. Hybrid similar to Pinball/Durie/Coombs would be the only receiver spot he would possibly excel at IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    One of the players I'd like to see get some playing time is Marcus Alford. A 7th round NFL selection, he could be one of the very fastest players in the league. Though small, he has outstanding potential and with nothing on the line for the rest of this season, it would be a good time to see if he can deliver on that potential.
    I don't disagree with you there. He looked to have some explosive ability in the home victory over BC, but then seemed to be an afterthought after that.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    The Argo's should also be able to add a one or more quality national receivers from next year's draft.The talent is
    that good at the receiver position with players who can make immediate contributions. Dejon Brisset, Hergy Malaya, Justin McInnis, Trivel Pinto, Kurleigh Gittens, Alexandre Savard, Brayden Dickey, Kaon Julien-Grant, Colton Hunchak, etc...
    I'm still hoping Regis Cibasu finally reports to camp, looks like he had another good year with the Carabins, I think he would make for a big upgrade in our NAT receiver talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    McCluster does everything Jackson does, but better. So far McCluster has been a really great addition and it will be interesting to see if he figures into next year's plans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    McCluster does everything Jackson does, but better. So far McCluster has been a really great addition and it will be interesting to see if he figures into next year's plans.
    McCluster looks good but, like Coombs, needs to stay healthy. Injuries have been the problem with him as well.

As far as the draft goes, I would like to see the Argos pick up a rush end with their first round pick and add to their offensive line depth after that. With the arrival of Bomben, I would suggest that the Argos starting o-line is solid as is but they do need to have some young Canadian linemen waiting in the wings with the likes of Van Zeyl not getting any younger.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    McCluster looks good but, like Coombs, needs to stay healthy. Injuries have been the problem with him as well.

As far as the draft goes, I would like to see the Argos pick up a rush end with their first round pick and add to their offensive line depth after that. With the arrival of Bomben, I would suggest that the Argos starting o-line is solid as is but they do need to have some young Canadian linemen waiting in the wings with the likes of Van Zeyl not getting any younger.
    I'd also like a DE, but I think o-line is an area of greater need since it is where we are assured of using NATs. CVZ is getting near the end, and Holmes may be as well. We don't know if Jamal Campbell will develop into a starter but since it has been three years, I'm not overly optimistic about that happening. I'd be happy if we went heavy on o-linemen altho we clearly need to pick the best available (and signable) player with the No. 1 pick.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    How long is Coombs' leash? With all due respect to Anthony because he is very effective when in the lineup, but he has been quite injury prone this season. Do we need to seriously look at replacing him? Much may depend on whether Trestman stays as we know that the "Coombs/Durie" spot is more prominent in his offence.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I do think the Argos need to move on from Coombs; heck of a player, but can't stay healthy. I'm interested to see if Carter is kept around, and I'd have no issue going with Carter, Green, and Edwards as our top 3, but competition needs to be brought in. I'd also like to see the Argos draft some CDN receivers - none of our current crop has been impressive. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing if the Bombers would be willing to part with someone like Simonise.