Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    It sure seems as though Ray is going to retire.
    50/50 I’d say. Says a lot still left to accomplish but going out on top is tempting. He’s kind of saying something new everyday if you want to put any stock into it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    But, but, he fell down once in Hamilton!
    LOL. I guess that is a reason to not like him.
    And Tommy Campbell who IMO is the best corner in the league got beat for 100 yard TD in the Grey Cup. I guess I have overrated him too.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    AK & Murray were burned quite a bit in the GC - can happen to any DB though, but not a good sign in the biggest game. Not much of a fan of White as a DB - pretty average IMO. D-backfield could use some upgrades all around - need to decide on a tough starting safety - Gabriel could be that guy maybe, but Chamblin seemed to like to move parts around - Gabriel was playing wide-side corner late in the GC and covering Michel on that great Matt Black pick - on a super dumb decision by Bovine Mitchell. Vaughn is a quality DB - could play anywhere in the secondary; like the game of young Q. Ford - flies around and nose for the ball - the latter 2 could be fixtures along with Gabriel, along with some others brought back, including Woodson - whose birth certificate might see him destined for back-up/depth only (like Matt Black), but this guy is athletic and was an all-star D-half in CIS ball; have plenty of new TC competition.

And I'll bet dollars to donuts that Posey does NOT get another NFL look - he was there before and they write most of those guys off once they go to the CFL - NFL "scouts" could give a rat's @$$ about big plays in the GC game; he could get a another shot via a well connected agent or a former coach vouching for him, perhaps.

Wonder if Plummer could un-seat Bear Woods for the MLB job; played plenty late in the year in the 2 biggest games and made plays - did more than Bear IMO and would probably be much cheaper ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Some great commentary and analysis and most of it is similar to what I’m thinking. However, I’ll take the total contrarian view on Ricky, he’s back next year.The media has been oddly relentless in pushing the Henry Burris storyline of last year on him.Not once has he mentioned anything of the sort re: being done.I can honestly foresee another few years of Ricky Ray in an Argos jersey, call me crazy if you must.

It hasn’t been mentioned as he likely is under contract for next year but is no one else thinking / concerned that Wilder gets an NFL shot and we release him from his contract? He’s still young and he’s big, strong and fast. Can’t see at least one of the NFL clubs wanting to give him a shot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    Some great commentary and analysis and most of it is similar to what I’m thinking. However, I’ll take the total contrarian view on Ricky, he’s back next year.The media has been oddly relentless in pushing the Henry Burris storyline of last year on him.Not once has he mentioned anything of the sort re: being done.I can honestly foresee another few years of Ricky Ray in an Argos jersey, call me crazy if you must.

It hasn’t been mentioned as he likely is under contract for next year but is no one else thinking / concerned that Wilder gets an NFL shot and we release him from his contract? He’s still young and he’s big, strong and fast. Can’t see at least one of the NFL clubs wanting to give him a shot.
    Not overly concerned about losing Wilder at this point. He's already had a couple of NFL training camps. It's pretty rare for a guy that's been cut multiple times in training camp to get a serious look down there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Supporting your Ray opinion would be this: it's rather difficult to simply walk away from somewhere north of $500,000 for six months' work.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    My two biggest concerns on this list are replacing Green's receptions and Woods' tackles. Admittedly, a quarter million for S.J. is high. Who else is out there to replace him?

Regarding Wilder, we should give him the shot down south if someone knocks but I really don't want that to happen. Obviously defences are adjusting and he's not going to continue to put up 200 yards a game. But the fact is you can divide the Argos' 2017 into the pre-Wilder break out and the post-Wilder break out. I don't think we get to the Eastern final let alone the championship with out him.

Mchester you make a good point that it's been the media pushing the riding off into the sunset narrative for Ray rather than the man himself. Perhaps he's content to play into his forties, health permitting. As Argo points, a half million a year is a pretty good incentive. I'd really like to find out who the heir apparent is though.

Boatman
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:

Level

If we want Zac Collaros don't we have to trade Nationals to Hamilton and the TiCats will want to receive some value, so which National would we be willing to part with!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    If we want Zac Collaros don't we have to trade Nationals to Hamilton and the TiCats will want to receive some value, so which National would we be willing to part with!!!
    Speculation is that the Cats will release him before his bonus is due in January.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Speculation is that the Cats will release him before his bonus is due in January.
    Any team would be foolish to trade for him at this point, let Hamilton either continue to pay him or release him.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Not overly concerned about losing Wilder at this point. He's already had a couple of NFL training camps. It's pretty rare for a guy that's been cut multiple times in training camp to get a serious look down there.
    CFL running backs don't have a great history over the past three decades of finding a spot in the NFL either. There was Cedric Minter from 1984 to 1986 with the New York Jets but there haven't been many (any?) since that time. There are always loads of younger running backs coming from the NCAA, in any given year, that the NFL has interest in.

Also, I heard or read a quote from Wilder this past week which indicated that he was planning on moving his kids to Toronto for next season so he seems to be planning on playing for the Argos in 2018.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Very good list as the thread starter. Hard to disagree with almost all of it.

As indicated, much will hinge on the first choice returning, or not. However, I expect that the play of Q.Ford, T.Plummer and A.Darby could force some decisions.

I kind of expect to see a DB, a DL and a Receiver move on.

White, Laing and Posey may be most likely.

Love to see Posey's return, but he's about the best looking candidate for the NFL on this current roster.

As pointed out above, Wilder may get a sniff, but the NFL won't be breathing heavily. They've got their own high picks to break in.

Bear Woods, SJ Green, Ricky Ray and Cassius Vaughan may all be staring at their last contracts. I think they're all backbone, priority players.

With the facility coming along and the football program and environment improving, I think we'll see many of these guys want to come back.

And continuity will play an important role in marketing this team in Toronto. Currently we have some very marketable guys. They like each other, and they admire their leaders. Much of Toronto is only just beginning to get to know them, and like them too.

Popp had continuity in Montreal back in their Grey Cup days. They all used to re-sign there, and same with Calgary; which has been a winning football program.

Jim Barker started out doing that in Toronto, but got away from it -- and it showed in the results.

I am expecting most guys back, and the addition will be at QB. I think Collaros is the obvious addition. It's been mentioned, that if he can take a step back and re-set it would be most beneficial to his career and whatever team he plays for.

A trade won't be necessary, depending on what happens with Johnny Football and Masoli (who may want to try the NFL also).

Toronto is a QB's dream. A QB is understood by layers of hierarchy.

Toronto has quickly become a choice destination. That makes things easier.

Good thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    CFL running backs don't have a great history over the past three decades of finding a spot in the NFL either. There was Cedric Minter from 1984 to 1986 with the New York Jets but there haven't been many (any?) since that time. There are always loads of younger running backs coming from the NCAA, in any given year, that the NFL has interest in.

Also, I heard or read a quote from Wilder this past week which indicated that he was planning on moving his kids to Toronto for next season so he seems to be planning on playing for the Argos in 2018.
    In would say Gil Fenerty and Kenton Keith had more actual playing success in the NFL than Minter did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gonzo brings up several good points, a year ago Toronto wasn’t seen as a great destination for many players in the CFL.
    Argonauts had just finished a horrendous season on and off the field, as free agency opened no coach, GM etc.
    This year coming off a championship very solid coaching staff and management but above all the players love playing for Marc Trestman which is huge in my books, word travels fast.
    I have no doubt some fan favourites may move elsewhere but my guess is the Argonauts should be able to retain the players they want to keep here but also augment (and perhaps upgrade some areas as well), should be interesting.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    In would say Gil Fenerty and Kenton Keith had more actual playing success in the NFL than Minter did.

Yep - pretty well; all 3 went down to the CFL after being star CFL RBs.

Minter had 281 yards from scrimmage in his 2 seasons with the Jets; Fenerty had 1,276 yards from scrimmage in his 2 seasons with the Saints; and Keith had 610 yards from scrimmage in his one season with the Colts; Minter & Fenerty also did some kick return duties in their NFL stints.

Minter's CFL success saw him do a lot as a pass catching back in the Argo offence; Fenerty & Keith were quite a bit superior pure running tailbacks IMO. I wished Gill the Thrill had stayed a long-time Argo - one of my all time fave Argo RBs - in a pretty long list - the great Dick Shatto, Symons, McQuay, Terry Metcalf, Pinball, Drummond, Mike Jenkins; maybe Wilder will stay quite awhile and join that list ? - Shatto & Pinner are the only long-time Argos there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - pretty well; all 3 went down to the CFL after being star CFL RBs.

Minter had 281 yards from scrimmage in his 2 seasons with the Jets; Fenerty had 1,276 yards from scrimmage in his 2 seasons with the Saints; and Keith had 610 yards from scrimmage in his one season with the Colts; Minter & Fenerty also did some kick return duties in their NFL stints.

Minter's CFL success saw him do a lot as a pass catching back in the Argo offence; Fenerty & Keith were quite a bit superior pure running tailbacks IMO. I wished Gill the Thrill had stayed a long-time Argo - one of my all time fave Argo RBs - in a pretty long list - the great Dick Shatto, Symons, McQuay, Terry Metcalf, Pinball, Drummond, Mike Jenkins; maybe Wilder will stay quite awhile and join that list ? - Shatto & Pinner are the only long-time Argos there.
    And Doyle Orange.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I have no doubt some fan favourites may move elsewhere but my guess is the Argonauts should be able to retain the players they want to keep here but also augment (and perhaps upgrade some areas as well), should be interesting.
    I agree we should be able to retain guys. Not sure Popp will make a priority of signing other teams' free agents -- he has spoken about that usually not working -- but I imagine he will kick tires in a few places, especially if he has to replace a key guy like, say, Laing.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    And Doyle Orange.

Yeah - Orange had the one really good season; but not on my a) list there for all-time Argo backs; on the b) list with other still very talented RBs - like Anthony Davis or Kackert or Boyd or Wilder now. Not easy to get on the a) list = combo of talent/skills + Argo accomplishments

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    They might look at him now as a ST/backup RB now that he is quite valuable on special teams. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Well I know one thing, Simeon Rottier ain't goin' to BC