Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It was a bit confusing at first but your succinct explanation clarified everything Thanks Paul.

New Fan
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    With both Deane and Watman moving on, it really appears as if Campbell, Sackey and Kowlankowski are expected to contribute more in the 2018 campaign .
    Note that recently signed DT Evan Gill is now listed at O-line, wearing an Oline number.
    Maybe was told he could extend his career - especially health wise - at the new position.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Given the rules, if Johnstone is as good a prospect as he's touted to be, there is not much downside in bidding a first-rounder. We probably won't get him, but we would force whoever does to forfeit their first-rounder next year, meaning a slightly better pick for us.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Indeed. Either we'll get a very promising player, or move up from ninth to eighth in next year's draft!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Note that recently signed DT Evan Gill is now listed at O-line, wearing an Oline number.
    Maybe was told he could extend his career - especially health wise - at the new position.
    I noticed that too. Thought maybe it was a misprint and was waiting for some of the "Double Blue Room Scouts" at TC to confirm.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I noticed that too. Thought maybe it was a misprint and was waiting for some of the "Double Blue Room Scouts" at TC to confirm.
    I had read about this last week--wasn't looking out for him yesterday though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I had read about this last week--wasn't looking out for him yesterday though.
    Yeah, it was reported on 3DownNation that he had been signed and converted to o-line. Let's hope he's something more than a longterm project there.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post

Total joke IMO - a DT with zero O-line experience converted to O-line by typical GOBs; give him a look at DT where he belongs; Popp coulda drafted 3 time AUS all-star O-lineman
    Jacob Czaja in the later rounds (instead of thinking about back-up LBs or long-snappers) - Ottawa was able to draft him; the chances of Gill being a better O-line prospect are slim to none. IMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Total joke IMO - a DT with zero O-line experience converted to O-line by typical GOBs; give him a look at DT where he belongs; Popp coulda drafted 3 time AUS all-star O-lineman
    Jacob Czaja in the later rounds (instead of thinking about back-up LBs or long-snappers) - Ottawa was able to draft him; the chances of Gill being a better O-line prospect are slim to none. IMO
    Remember that Van Zeyl was converted from the d-line to the o-line 10 years ago, OV, and he turned out pretty well.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Trestman comments on Franklin and Bethel-Thompson while Franklin discusses his view of Trestman below:

It’s still far too early to make depth chart declarations. Trestman said everyone is working their way through the early portion of the preseason.
    “He’s (Franklin) handling himself well. He’s managing the huddle, he’s managing the team when he’s out there,” Trestman said. “McLeod (Bethel-Thompson has) had a great camp when he’s out there and I’m excited to see him go head-to-head over the next few weeks.” ...

“(Trestman) does a good job with the guys, trying to incorporate (the idea of) making other people’s day,” he said. “Going out of your way to tell someone thank you, especially the people working in the cafeteria, the equipment guys, everyone is equally important.
    “He talks about how as a team we want to get to know each other, take care of each other and respect each other. It’s kind of funny, a lot of things are similar to how my parents raised me, as far as caring about other people and looking out for their best interests. I do like that part, as far as getting to know the other guys better.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/24/oleary...lours-toronto/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The real joke is that you consider AUS all star a major accomplishment. When was the last time that conference was competitive? I'll take it a step further and say that in their glory days, they represented in the Vanier Cup on occasion because they had the luxury of hosting the Atlantic Bowl every year, essentially win a home game and play in the Vanier. You put way too much stock into pre professional accomplishments. Even very accomplished NCAA players aren't good enough to play in the CFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Remember that Van Zeyl was converted from the d-line to the o-line 10 years ago, OV, and he turned out pretty well.
    Others have also made position switches as pros: Jeff Keeping and Jim Kardash are two more who come to mind. And lots of guys make position switches in or right after college. Armanti Edwards and Andre Durie, for example. It's possible for a player to be better suited to a different position than the one he played earlier in his career. I would bet that half of the wide receivers in the NFL were quarterbacks in high school, and a few in college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Bob Swift, Jamie Tarus were Fullbacks and switched to centers. Both became all stars if I'm not mistaken.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The real joke is that you consider AUS all star a major accomplishment. When was the last time that conference was competitive? I'll take it a step further and say that in their glory days, they represented in the Vanier Cup on occasion because they had the luxury of hosting the Atlantic Bowl every year, essentially win a home game and play in the Vanier. You put way too much stock into pre professional accomplishments. Even very accomplished NCAA players aren't good enough to play in the CFL.
    Just FYI - Henoc Muamba was an AUS all-star; but so was Brian Jones and he has failed to do much in the CFL.

What you don't seem to grasp here about my point - accomplished college ball players, plus guys with strong Combine testing #s (Czaja on both counts) are worth a look in CFL TCs and regardless of what program they come from - you're big on Sackey or Campbell as Argo O-line prospects from weak OUA programs ? And accomplished college ball players at a specific position are almost always going to be ahead of converted other position guys who GOBs might like because they are "athletes" of some sort, And yes there are some good examples of college ball players panning out at other positions in the pros - Ravi pointed out Van Zeyl; and Sinopoli - with 3 straight CFL thousand yard receiving seasons - has IMO jumped to all-time top of the list there.

Sorry - but i have a very, very difficult time believing Evan Gill - not a super size DT and with no real O-line experience, is even close to as good an O-line prospect as a 300 pounder, multiple Conference all-star with a strong bench press # in testing as Czaja is; maybe if Gill was 6-6, 320 and put up 35 bench reps in testing, I might think he could become a good O-lineman. But Popp knows best is an easy fallback here. If the Argos had exhausted all other O-line prospects in their need for further Canadian depth there - then i could see taking a look at Gill.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We added another INT running back today. Khiry Robinson played a fair bit for the Saints in the last few years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We added another INT running back today. Khiry Robinson played a fair bit for the Saints in the last few years.
    Good to see another bigger back signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just FYI - Henoc Muamba was an AUS all-star; but so was Brian Jones and he has failed to do much in the CFL.

What you don't seem to grasp here about my point - accomplished college ball players, plus guys with strong Combine testing #s (Czaja on both counts) are worth a look in CFL TCs and regardless of what program they come from - you're big on Sackey or Campbell as Argo O-line prospects from weak OUA programs ? And accomplished college ball players at a specific position are almost always going to be ahead of converted other position guys who GOBs might like because they are "athletes" of some sort, And yes there are some good examples of college ball players panning out at other positions in the pros - Ravi pointed out Van Zeyl; and Sinopoli - with 3 straight CFL thousand yard receiving seasons - has IMO jumped to all-time top of the list there.

Sorry - but i have a very, very difficult time believing Evan Gill - not a super size DT and with no real O-line experience, is even close to as good an O-line prospect as a 300 pounder, multiple Conference all-star with a strong bench press # in testing as Czaja is; maybe if Gill was 6-6, 320 and put up 35 bench reps in testing, I might think he could become a good O-lineman. But Popp knows best is an easy fallback here. If the Argos had exhausted all other O-line prospects in their need for further Canadian depth there - then i could see taking a look at Gill.
    I pull for homegrown talents to succeed. The difference is that I don't take college stats as a sure fire lock to be good pros....from either side of the border.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I pull for homegrown talents to succeed. The difference is that I don't take college stats as a sure fire lock to be good pros....from either side of the border.
    Nor are good NFL stats a sure fire lock on success in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    St. Mary's was a very good program from '99 - '04 and '07 - '11, but overall you are correct, that conference is the weakest of the bunch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

I believe Campbell and Sackey started their College career's as DT's. Popp must have had Gill's signing in his back pocket before the draft. Gill's goes around 6 3 1/2 and 295. Good size for an offensive guard now in the CFL. He might well be a bit ahead of some of the linemen coming out of the CIS for the mental part of the game, which is huge. You don't go through a couple of years in the League without learning a lot even playing DT instead of the OL. There's no substitute for size and talent IMO, and Gill had both coming out of Manitoba as a DT. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move ahead of Sackey quite quickly on the depth chart.