Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I have to believe Popp will get just about everybody he really wants back to defend the Cup. How much did each player on the Argo's make for winning the Grey Cup. I don't know (25,000-30,000) total? That's huge for some of these guys making 60,000.
    So Popp's pitch can be "hey we can do it again if you sign with us".
    Still think Ricky is coming back and will get well paid. He could be doing off season work for MLSE making an extra 250,000 out there in California checking out the sand on the beach for all we know. Oh and then sign for just another 250,000 to make sure they're under the cap. Tiger-Cat fans want to make sure the Argo's don't go over the cap. lol

About signing other teams FA's? Don't believe Popp will break the bank trying to sign anybody, just remind them there always a good chance of making that extra playoff money. It is much cheaper to find guys at their free agent camps that have been out of football for a year and are hungry. Guys like Butler, Tuggle, Wilder, Wynn and Campbell etc. were just names signed in the off season. Turned out pretty good IMO. But hey if a player like Messam wants to play for his home town for a reasonable amount. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Wilder in the same backfield. I think Wilder is a great receiver coming out of the back field BTW. Travis Bond would be an upgrade at guard. The #1 job on offense is throwing up a wall to protect Ricky IMO and what better way to upgrade that than by signing Messam (6'3 255) and Bond (6'7 350). The Cross fans might be upset, but you go for all the marbles as long as Ricky Ray is performing at a high level. 3 and 1 happens very often in the CFL and what better guy to have back there than Jerome Messam. Cross could still get his minutes and play ST's where he's also needed. Sound like fantasy? Hey it's the off season and dreaming time.
    If Messam and Wilder are in the back field together, can't see how Cross can still get his Offensive minutes, so if the team is not going to continue with his development then send him somewhere where he can continue to develop.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have to believe Popp will get just about everybody he really wants back to defend the Cup. How much did each player on the Argo's make for winning the Grey Cup. I don't know (25,000-30,000) total? That's huge for some of these guys making 60,000.
    So Popp's pitch can be "hey we can do it again if you sign with us".
    Still think Ricky is coming back and will get well paid. He could be doing off season work for MLSE making an extra 250,000 out there in California checking out the sand on the beach for all we know. Oh and then sign for just another 250,000 to make sure they're under the cap. Tiger-Cat fans want to make sure the Argo's don't go over the cap. lol

About signing other teams FA's? Don't believe Popp will break the bank trying to sign anybody, just remind them there always a good chance of making that extra playoff money. It is much cheaper to find guys at their free agent camps that have been out of football for a year and are hungry. Guys like Butler, Tuggle, Wilder, Wynn and Campbell etc. were just names signed in the off season. Turned out pretty good IMO. But hey if a player like Messam wants to play for his home town for a reasonable amount. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Wilder in the same backfield. I think Wilder is a great receiver coming out of the back field BTW. Travis Bond would be an upgrade at guard. The #1 job on offense is throwing up a wall to protect Ricky IMO and what better way to upgrade that than by signing Messam (6'3 255) and Bond (6'7 350). The Cross fans might be upset, but you go for all the marbles as long as Ricky Ray is performing at a high level. 3 and 1 happens very often in the CFL and what better guy to have back there than Jerome Messam. Cross could still get his minutes and play ST's where he's also needed. Sound like fantasy? Hey it's the off season and dreaming time.
    Agree on all counts with the exception of Messam. Great runner, but IMO wouldn't mesh with the Argos style of offence. For his size not a very good blocker, and Cross is much better catching the ball out of the backfield. Also doesn't take as long as Messam to get going after he catches the ball.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It would not be a cost-efficient use of resources IMO to have Messam and Wilder in the same backfield.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    It would not be a cost-efficient use of resources IMO to have Messam and Wilder in the same backfield.
    A little bit of wishful thinking I admit. But would only work if Messam would agree to be part time player seeing he will be 33. Trestman's offense with Ricky Ray is based on quick short passes to set up the occasional long pass. Messam could line up as a TE on some plays with Wilder at the RB spot, but could release for a short pass and make those DB's pay a price with YAC yards. Then he could line up some at RB and let Wilder go out as a SB pass receiver. Wilder is right up there with S.J. Green as a receiver in tight coverage IMO. Nobody plays in the backfield full time anymore. Wilder and Cross and others were in and out from play to play last year. 3 and 1 anywhere on the field I like the idea of having Jerome Messam lining up as the RB. He's might not be the Fridge but a very intimidating ball carrier. Just his presence opens up other areas at key moments.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Neither of these guys were free agents, but I think expanding the scope of this thread a bit makes more sense than having a second, related thread.

Noel is no surprise, but the Sackey extension is interesting. Apparently we might still have plans for "the forgotten lineman"...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Sackey could return to the defensive side of the ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    If Messam and Wilder are in the back field together, can't see how Cross can still get his Offensive minutes, so if the team is not going to continue with his development then send him somewhere where he can continue to develop.
    First of all, I think there's little or no chance we'll sign Messam so it's probably moot, but if we did, or if for some other reason we decided to use Cross less on offence, why should we send him somewhere else? No team is under any obligation to "do what's best for the player," especially if it means surrendering an asset.

For the record, I expect Cross will continue to be an important part of our team, both on offence and specials, and I'm very glad we have him. My comment is not in any way meant to denigrate the guy. But like every other member of the team, he's an asset that mgmt. will (and should) utilize as it sees fit.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Noel is no surprise, but the Sackey extension is interesting. Apparently we might still have plans for "the forgotten lineman"...
    I'm glad both guys have been re-signed, and love these two-year deals. Noel is obviously a key member of our special teams, with some potential upside on offence. Who knows what Sackey will become but he's a big o-lineman in whom we have invested for two years, and I hate to see guys like that walk unless they clearly aren't gonna develop or are too expensive to justify keeping.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Neither of these guys were free agents, but I think expanding the scope of this thread a bit makes more sense than having a second, related thread.

I was going to say Himebauch must see something in Sackey. But then looking at that Coaching staff only Browning is listed as the Offensive Line Coach. Where has Himebauch gone this time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I was going to say Himebauch must see something in Sackey. But then looking at that Coaching staff only Browning is listed as the Offensive Line Coach. Where has Himebauch gone this time.
    Whoops. I must have clicked on an old site. Himebauch is still listed as the O Line Coach and Justin Poindexter the assistant. Browning did leave last year because of health reasons I believe.
    Also noticed that Tommy Condell may being leaving the Argos as there is nothing listed on him now.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Who knows what Sackey will become but he's a big o-lineman in whom we have invested for two years, and I hate to see guys like that walk unless they clearly aren't gonna develop or are too expensive to justify keeping.
    I had thought that another year on the PR without being activated pointed to the former, but maybe it was just a matter of luck. Our interior linemen *and* their backups were healthy all year, unfortunately for Sackey.

Achievements:

Level
    Also noticed that Tommy Condell may being leaving the Argos as there is nothing listed on him now.
    Condell is still there - he's the receivers coach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Lets just hope Trestman is still around come TC. That would be a major drag if he is back in the NFL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Lets just hope Trestman is still around come TC. That would be a major drag if he is back in the NFL
    I firmly believe that Trestman will only head back to the NFL for a head coaching position, which I doubt will happen again. He was in Montreal for five years - and rumoured to be leaving every off-season - and only left for an NFL head coaching position. He has gone on record numerous times in the past about how the CFL head coaching lifestyle suits him quite nicely.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Wilder is a better RB IMO and is more suited to the Argo offence because of his far superior receiving skills. Using both in a meaningful manner in the same backfield would also require a major change in offensive strategy that simply doesn't suit the Argos' pass-oriented offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Llevi's role in the Argo's success this year has often been overlooked. After leading the team in ST tackles in 2016, he was a ST monster this year, tying for second in ST tackles with 27, as well as having an outstanding Grey Cup game, in which he set a team-record five ST tackles. In addition, in signing him the Argo's have also added depth at National receiver with time for growth at this position.

The 26-year-old Toronto native had a club-record five special-teams tackles in its 27-24 Grey Cup win over the Calgary Stampeders in November.
    “Llevi is an outstanding special-teams player who is also showing growth in our offence and we’re excited to welcome him back for another couple of years,” general manager Jim Popp said in a statement.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/01/10/ar...ct-extensions/

Last edited by jerrym; 01-11-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Llevi's role in the Argo's success this year has often been overlooked. After leading the team in ST tackles in 2016, he was a ST monster this year, tying for second in ST tackles with 27, as well as having an outstanding Grey Cup game, in which he set a team-record five ST tackles.
    I don't think anyone here has overlooked him, Jerry. He has been a special teams ace for a couple of years.

Achievements:

Level
    SJ Green: "I would be an idiot to leave Trestman and Popp".

I think we can expect him to re-sign.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    SJ Green: "I would be an idiot to leave Trestman and Popp".

I think we can expect him to re-sign.
    Great news for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ricky Ray has told Popp he will let the team know whether he will return or retire before free agency starts on February 13th.

The Argos know when Ricky Ray will make a decision about his football future.
    “He’s going to give us an answer before free agency starts,’’ Argos general manager Jim Popp told the Toronto Sun. “We’ve had good dialogue, not just with me, but he’s had his talks with coach (Marc) Trestman, coach (Marcus) Brady, but there’s been no pressure in terms of us saying: ‘What are you going to do?’ That’s been ongoing.”
    http://3downnation.com/2018/01/11/ri...e-free-agency/