Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Argo talk on Primetime Sports 590

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-ti...ember-1-5pm-3/

Stars around 31:30 mark. Some interesting tidbits, like Rogers potentially still being interested in the Argos. Not crazy about Bob's idea of allowing the Argos to go over the Cup - not a fan of cheating.
    Last edited by R.J; 12-02-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    590 is part of the problem with declining interest in the CFL in the GTA. Except for the talk after the GC win i heard next to nothing all year long about the CFL and when I did it was always how lousy and bush league the league was. rogers owns the BJs and so they will talk BJs endlessly. It not just McGowen either. Never forget a couple of months ago i was driving down the QEW one saturday afternoon to go see the Argos at bmo and i had 590 on. The sports news came on at the top of the hour and the news came in this order: BJs, other MLB scores, leafs preseaon, raptors pre-season, US college football scores and even scores from the BARCLAYS premiership league that afternoon in the UK! At last for about 10 seconds they mentioned the Argos 4 pm tilt that afternoon against Edmonton. Surprised they even bothered to mention just that!

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Starts around 31:30 mark. Some interesting tidbits, like Rogers potentially still being interested in the Argos. Not crazy about Bob's idea of allowing the Argos to go over the Cup - not a fan of cheating.
    I think you mean go over the salary cap. I didn't know what you meant until I heard the interview : ) Interesting about Rogers possibly showing interest.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    590 is part of the problem with declining interest in the CFL in the GTA. Except for the talk after the GC win i heard next to nothing all year long about the CFL and when I did it was always how lousy and bush league the league was.
    Those guys are seriously out of touch. They say they can't remember who the QBs are and that the QBs of yesteryear were so great, there's a fairly decent crop now as well. Just nonsensical, some of the stuff they are saying, comparing the old Argos to today and how they can't compete. The Argos don't want to compete with yesteryear, they can't, it's a totally new ballgame now and management knows that. They have to build for the new reality not what the fossils of PTS think.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    590 is part of the problem with declining interest in the CFL in the GTA.
    As much as I'm aware that we need all the (positive) media and promotion we can get, I almost don't want 590 around the Argos. They've done nothing but talk them down, wish for their demise and damage the team more than anyone else ever has, and now that they've won a Cup and are moving forward in a positive direction they want their piece of the pie? Nope, as far as I'm concerned they can buzz off. Keep letting us know what Josh Donaldson ate for breakfast. The funniest thing is that Blundell (is he even still with the Fan? I honestly have no clue) made a point to rag on both the Argos and TFC. As much as I don't care about soccer it would be hilarious if both the Argos and TFC, the two teams Blundell rags on, both won championships in the same year.

The Fan and the Argos is almost like the guy that picks on you in school but once you get a new video game system suddenly he wants to be your friend. Nope. Go away Fan

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Grudges are hard to break ... but if Rogers is softening their approach towards the Argos then I am all for it. That can do nothing but help the franchise.

Younger fans forget that the Fan used to be good with the Argos and Rogers used to be a major sponsor for the league when nobody else would. So if the "anti argo" voices at Rogers are starting to be pushed aside ... I won't be petty and I will put the franchise first.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I think I've seen a softening of the "treatment" that Rogers has given to the Argos this year, and before anyone accuses me of waffling because of the PTS quote, I have stated it previously. Maybe Posey was right, all you need is love. The Argos just seem to be turning this perception corner and TFC and Rogers started to lose some in the goodwill department.

So what does anyone suppose the quote meant. Was it just the usual PTS being uninformed or do you think it's something tangible. Is he talking about something Rogers already does for the Argos through MLSE? God forbid Rogers would buy a piece of the action. Any one have any ideas?

I think Rogers (MLSE) was walking a tightrope with TFC fans and not trying to piss them off. Now that the ground sharing issue has been all but settled (aside from the lunatic fringe) there has been a bit of softening from TFC as well.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I think it would be good for the league if Sportsnet got a game a week, instantly Rogers media would start talking fondly about the CFL. Look at how they ignore all forms of Canadian Football until the the CIS playoffs which they televise, then all of a sudden you hear them discussing it on the radio and TV. A broadcast team of Tim Metcalf and Donovan Bennett would be great, they're both young supporters and fans of the league at Rogers. I heard Rogers had interest in being part of the Argos deal only if they got some games to televise, TSN/Bell said no.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    As much as I'm aware that we need all the (positive) media and promotion we can get, I almost don't want 590 around the Argos. They've done nothing but talk them down, wish for their demise and damage the team more than anyone else ever has, and now that they've won a Cup and are moving forward in a positive direction they want their piece of the pie? Nope, as far as I'm concerned they can buzz off. Keep letting us know what Josh Donaldson ate for breakfast. The funniest thing is that Blundell (is he even still with the Fan? I honestly have no clue) made a point to rag on both the Argos and TFC. As much as I don't care about soccer it would be hilarious if both the Argos and TFC, the two teams Blundell rags on, both won championships in the same year.

The Fan and the Argos is almost like the guy that picks on you in school but once you get a new video game system suddenly he wants to be your friend. Nope. Go away Fan
    Blundell rightfully got his ass booted out of town months ago, the guy was terrible.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobythor View Post
    I heard Rogers had interest in being part of the Argos deal only if they got some games to televise, TSN/Bell said no.
    I don't think Rogers wanted any part of the Argos.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I don't think Rogers wanted any part of the Argos.
    I heard directly from a pretty high source that their involvement would have had to include some television rights. Not sure how far along negotiations came, or how serious Rogers was, but there was some interest in the Argos if a TV deal was included. I'm not naming my source, you'll just have to trust me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post

No, Grey Brady is back now. Not sure if that's better or worse.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/...ow-reboot.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobythor View Post
    I think it would be good for the league if Sportsnet got a game a week, instantly Rogers media would start talking fondly about the CFL. Look at how they ignore all forms of Canadian Football until the the CIS playoffs which they televise, then all of a sudden you hear them discussing it on the radio and TV. A broadcast team of Tim Metcalf and Donovan Bennett would be great, they're both young supporters and fans of the league at Rogers. I heard Rogers had interest in being part of the Argos deal only if they got some games to televise, TSN/Bell said no.
    It would be good if Shaw or Global got involved too.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    With the extent of cord cutting being what it is and the OTA networks having a 20% larger footprint, they've got to get some games back on CTV or CBC. Like vinyl records, rabbit ears are making a comeback.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    It would be good if Shaw or Global got involved too.
    ???
    Global is owned by Corus Entertainment, which is owned by the Shaw family.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Man, I never listen to McCown (or radio in general really) except when somebody links it on this forum and I swear I've heard that fricking story about the fan drop off after the first McNall / Gretz / Candy game five times from Bob. Has he not had anything to do for 26 years?

Anyway, I think Rogers will come around. One gets the feeling they wanted to sit in a huff until the boomers die off and the CFL goes the way of the dinosaurs. But there's other sexy properties TSN has -- NFL, MLS -- and the CFL remains more durable than expected. The advantages of working together outweigh the advantages of not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Man, I never listen to McCown (or radio in general really) except when somebody links it on this forum and I swear I've heard that fricking story about the fan drop off after the first McNall / Gretz / Candy game five times from Bob. Has he not had anything to do for 26 years?
    Do you mean the massive drop off from 41K to 37K?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Do you mean the massive drop off from 41K to 37K?
    Every time Bob talks about the Argos, he mentions this, except his dropoff is from 45k to 35k.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is there anyway to skip to the 31 minute mark on this nonsense? You used to be able to skip content. But now its just playing without control. I don't want to listen to more of their nonsense than I need to.

Edit* Ok, doesn't matter...I waited my way through and listened to their nonsense anyhow. Its all nonsense even when they were talking CFL. Just pure nonsense.
    Last edited by argos1873; 12-05-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Is there anyway to skip to the 31 minute mark on this nonsense? You used to be able to skip content. But now its just playing without control.
    You can still skip around, are you doing it on the player at the top of the page? That's where you can move it.