Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

10 yr old BMO Field's first & only Champions - The Toronto Argonauts

Twitter account for TFC @TorontoFC is the only pro sports team in Toronto to not tweet their congratulations or even acknowledgement of the Argos Grey Cup win. Everyone else is happy Toronto has at least 1 team that wins championships!

Their worst fans put up the "No Argos @BMO" banner again around the city the day of the Eastern Final even though it has been proven that the ground share is a huge success & there are little to no problems with the grass. Clearly just jealousy of the Argos success at this point.

The Argos got a near sellout 25k for the East Final & got 1.4 million watching on TV & then a huge rating of 4-6million (peak of 10 million!) on TV for the Grey Cup. Toronto FC is lucky to get 1/5 of that on TV.

So the next time you have to deal with the worst of the TFC fans (some are ok) remind them of BMO Field's 1st and only Champions in its over 10yr existence - The Toronto Argonauts!

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Do we require their approval?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argobouncer View Post
    Toronto FC is lucky to get 1/5 of that on TV.
    Just so we're accurate in future, the article below speaks of rising ratings. but it was only a few years ago (2?), TFC was averaging 38K. But just a few years before that the Caps always led the Canadian soccer ratings with about 120K and TFC was hit and miss being in the top 20 sports ratings hovering around the 100K mark. That's when the CFL was averaging about 650K. Blue Jays are rapidly coming down to earth and the CFL and TFC are both less viewed during the regular season than they once were.

Toronto FC success drives up ratings while struggling Jays' numbers drop
    Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press Aug 8, 2017

TORONTO – Toronto FC and the Blue Jays are currently at different ends of the standings and their TV numbers have gone up and down as a result.

But the Jays’ TV audience continues to dwarf that of the Major League Soccer team.

Canada’s struggling baseball team, from April through July, averaged 706,300 viewers compared to 895,400 over the same time period last season, according to Sportsnet.

TSN says TFC games on TSN/CTV are averaging 93,000 viewers this year in terms of total audience, compared to 59,000 over the same time period last season.

The Whitecaps season average is 86,000, compared to 69,000 in 2016. The Montreal Impact are averaging 80,000, compared to 73,000 last season.

All three teams have seen double-digit increases in the 18-34 demographic over the same period last season: Toronto FC up 39 per cent, Montreal Impact up 22 per cent, and the Vancouver Whitecaps up 12 per cent, according to TSN.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I believe TFC has sent out a nice tweet....either way, I don't think there was any malicious intent from the soccer team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I believe TFC has sent out a nice tweet....either way, I don't think there was any malicious intent from the soccer team.
    I would have to agree. Especially considering 2/3 of their ownership group own the Argos.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe that the TFC front office is still trying to find a balance and not trying to up set their small group of fans that believe we should not belong at BMO. Even David Miller still believes that we should not be there as it was build as a soccer facility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by moeajram View Post
    I believe that the TFC front office is still trying to find a balance and not trying to up set their small group of fans that believe we should not belong at BMO. Even David Miller still believes that we should not be there as it was build as a soccer facility.
    The same David Miller that used the Argos to help promote anti-bullying when he was mayor, and then turned his back on them when they were on the verge of being homeless without said move to BMO.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Hopefully not, but the sequence of the wording is odd IMO.

Toronto FC‏Verified account @torontofc 48m48 minutes ago
    Congrats to Larry Tanenbaum and the @TorontoArgos on their #GreyCup triumph!
    I'd like to think this is not a directive from above.

Either way, hope the soccer team can pull it off, 2 new banners in BMO are better than one the Argos can send the first props to boot.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Toronto FC just sent out their 1st tweet today congratulating the Argos

Toronto FCVerified account @torontofc 53m53 minutes ago

Congrats to Larry Tanenbaum and the @TorontoArgos on their #GreyCup triumph!

Maybe now they'll work together as a team!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    That is seriously sad folks, they eventually got around to it but check out the time. Sorry guys this is just another in a long line of slights by them and/or their fans. They have permanently created a Caps fan in me or anybody but TFC.

TFC only major pro sports team in Toronto that hasn’t congratulated Argos
    3Down Staff November 28, 2017

They may be roommates but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts are friends.

Every other major pro sports franchise in the city of Toronto has congratulated the Argonauts on their CFL championship win – except the soccer team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Better late than never.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    When you go back and look at the original plans. BMO was suppose to be a duo place, but David Miller sold it to the council that they would have to build it as a soccer facility to attract the world cup for womens, This is why it was hard to go back and make it an official size football field. A lot of fans have realize that if it was not for the Argo, they would have never received that huge upgrade and expand seating. In our house we support both teams as my daughter are huge soccer fans. and they support my love for the argos and i support them for the love of soccer. I just saw an interview with him talking proudly how he build this place for soccer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Best of luck to Toronto FC and their fans. I can't speak to the team's Twitter account but I did see that "No Argos at BMO" banner above the DVP on our way to the East Final. Those few bad apples within TFC's fanbase are of no threat to the Argonauts and at some point they will have to realize that all this time and energy spent on hating something they have no control over is a sad waste, and only continues to make their organization look foolish.

Do not feed the trolls. They are hateful people who clearly have some serious unrelated issues going on in their lives. I for one see no point in further participating in the Argos vs TFC BMO debate. We won and we are not going anywhere. TFC by no means lost anything from the Argos moving in.

Again, this Argo fan wishes TFC all the best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Best of luck to Toronto FC and their fans. I can't speak to the team's Twitter account but I did see that "No Argos at BMO" banner above the DVP on our way to the East Final. Those few bad apples within TFC's fanbase are of no threat to the Argonauts and at some point they will have to realize that all this time and energy spent on hating something they have no control over is a sad waste, and only continues to make their organization look foolish.

Do not feed the trolls. They are hateful people who clearly have some serious unrelated issues going on in their lives. I for one see no point in further participating in the Argos vs TFC BMO debate. We won and we are not going anywhere. TFC by no means lost anything from the Argos moving in.

Again, this Argo fan wishes TFC all the best.
    Good attitude. I used to defend TFC on this very forum! When a sizable amount of their fans turned on the Argos, it was like poking my eye. Unfortunately, I felt forced to pick a side. I do wish TFC good luck and have no hate, especially for the players, just some hard feelings. It's going to take a while before I ever return to a TFC game, but the continued NOARGOS Schtick is still off putting. The Trolls on Twitter are so abundant.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    TFC ownership understands they have a RABID fan base - that will never fully accept sharing their field with the Argos.
    And so they were smart to not quickly praise the Argo's success.
    So get over worrying about any snub - we don't need their acceptance anyway.
    (this opinion comes from someone who also has TFC season seats - I'm careful which hat I wear to games!)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It would be a wonderful gesture for TFC to honour the Argos before their playoff game on Wednesday night. Why not have Ricky Ray and a few other Argos players/staff come out with the Grey Cup before the game? I am sure many at BMO would be appreciative and it might go a long way towards ending the feud between some TFC and Argos fans.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think that would go too well
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-29-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was considerably annoyed when TFC fans prominently and publicly displayed "No Argos@ BMO" banners on the eve of the Eastern final. It smacks of an insult to both the team and its fans. So it was not surprising to see TFC wait a considerable amount of time before issuing their congratulations to the Argos on their Grey Cup. Their front office has already experienced conflict with a more bellicose group of fans, when the front office attempted to discipline the group, for completely unacceptable behaviour. As others have noted it appears that their front office is gun shy of offending this group, so try to walk a fine line of doing the principled thing while not upsetting this group.

Regardless, if TFC does win all the marbles, hopefully the Argos take the high road and immediately issue congrats to TFC. It would remind the general everyone, that the Argos are a classy organization. In spite of the discourteous behaviour of the TFC fans ( not the majority) towards the Argos, I am still hoping that TFC does win its championship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I was considerably annoyed when TFC fans prominently and publicly displayed "No Argos@ BMO" banners on the eve of the Eastern final. It smacks of an insult to both the team and its fans. So it was not surprising to see TFC wait a considerable amount of time before issuing their congratulations to the Argos on their Grey Cup. Their front office has already experienced conflict with a more bellicose group of fans, when the front office attempted to discipline the group, for completely unacceptable behaviour. As others have noted it appears that their front office is gun shy of offending this group, so try to walk a fine line of doing the principled thing while not upsetting this group.

Regardless, if TFC does win all the marbles, hopefully the Argos take the high road and immediately issue congrats to TFC. It would remind the general everyone, that the Argos are a classy organization. In spite of the discourteous behaviour of the TFC fans ( not the majority) towards the Argos, I am still hoping that TFC does win its championship.
    Jim Popp already extended well wishes to TFC yesterday (very classy gesture), glad the Argos are taking the high road.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Jim Popp already extended well wishes to TFC yesterday (very classy gesture), glad the Argos are taking the high road.
    Well said, classy is the way to go.
    This topic makes me think about the current Trump (class-less) and Obama (class always) situation...