Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Should we give Declan Cross a bigger role in 2018?

If Coombs is healthy, he should always start. If Wilder is healthy, he should always start. I'm not suggesting that Cross is better than those guys, but I really like the way he catches the ball and what he does with it. How should we use him next year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    More Declan Cross!!

I’m biased I’ve been a big fan of him since he shook off the rookie jitters early this season.

Think there’s definitely touches for him, Coombs and Wilder if the Argos can keep the offence on the field more this season (which I think is quite doable).

One of my favourite Argos offensive plays is the out to Declan in the flats for a walk in touchdown, love it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'll say they used him just right this season. If you use him more, it may actually take away from his effectiveness as he would be keyed in on more by the opposing teams. I love the way he plays though. Great team first guy.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The offence we had this year made effective use of both Coombs and Cross. I don't see any reason to remake it or make big changes. Both guys, when healthy, will get touches in situations where they can be effective.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Cat is out of the bag already I'd say.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When Ricky had all his weapons healthy and ready to go, the offence was a thing of beauty. Receivers like SJ, Posey and Armanti Edwards with Coombs in the slot, Declan out of the backfield and even Wilder on some passing plays (and obviously running plays).

Needless to say it was a very very entertaining year of watching the offence, and I think as Argo fans we’ve earned a few of those given I feel like the defensive side of the ball has carried this squad for the last decade or so (and did to some extent this year as well).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    He could maybe, get a slightly increased role, but more likely the same as last season.

CFL offensive "thinkers" just do not get the potential value of a fullback OR tight end anymore - gone the way of the dodo almost except for the slight emergence of the H-back role lately, by just a few teams - and Cross did the most of any CFL H-back last season.

CFL braintrusts on offence are not capable of a more diverse offensive look or straying from standard, same old 5 pack look with 70 some per cent pass play calls - just the way it is now in the CFL, and extremely doubtful any different thinking offensive coaches are going to be hired to maybe try something different. Same old/ same old homgenous look offence is the norm, but the odd tendency breaker like the use of an H-back (providing strong blocking or getting the ball) was just shown to be pretty effective by the GC winning team last season. And they might think of giving Cross the ball on hand-offs the odd time - as a straight ahead, bulldozing power runner - could add another element to the offence. I haven't looked it up, but I'd be willing to bet he had the most yards from scrimmage last season by a CFL H-back/fullback in years & years.

IMO - a CFL offence could be designed and implemented with either a tight end or a fullback (or both) as an important feature - both could be 1000 yard or near contributors IMO - like Tony Gabriel was or Blake Marshall was - not that long ago. Not going to happen in the CFL with same old thinkers running things. A tight end is still an important, heavily targeted, very productive part of many NFL offences that have moved to very pass heavy oriented offences.

Cross has emerged as a very capable player - showing good hands (after some thought he was useless there after 2 glaring drops as a rookie); he's a load to bring down and has some deceptive speed, plus is a powerful blocker. Looking forward to seeing him continue in his role in the Argo offence - even if it's the same as last season and he does not get more use.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Cross had an excellent season and should be utilized even more effectively next year. Some have put forth very sound arguments for the use of a tight end in some circumstances. It is strange that CFL teams have moved away from this concept but the NFL makes good use of tight ends. The Argos had an excellent candidate for the position in Jones---big at 6' 4'' and 233lbs with outstanding speed for a man of his size. He prides himself in his blocking and did a good job on special teams but didn't get even a look at, in the TE position. Things go in cycles and perhaps we will see a return of the TE in the future.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The Argos had an excellent candidate for the position in Jones---big at 6' 4'' and 233lbs with outstanding speed for a man of his size. He prides himself in his blocking and did a good job on special teams but didn't get even a look at, in the TE position.
    I really thought he would be a big star, hopefully it will still happen.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The offence we had this year made effective use of both Coombs and Cross. I don't see any reason to remake it or make big changes. Both guys, when healthy, will get touches in situations where they can be effective.
    Well said and I agree. These are two (2) different players and makes the Offense that much more diversified. Continue to groom both of these young players, Coach T is on the right track with how they are being used.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I can see all the starters back on offense. Green, Posey, Edwards, Cross and Coombs. Wilder, Ricky and the Offensive Line. There has been talk of Posey taking another shot at the NFL, but I don't know about that. He had enough playing time down there that he wouldn't be paid rookie wages. Teams could have a new late draft choice play for the minimum salary and take up the same position on the roster.
    Having said that I would like to see a burner at WR that would put the fear into opposing defenses. Banks in Hamilton is a free agent. Maybe not him but somebody like that who can really stretch a defense. That would really help open up things under neath for Green and Company.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I can see all the starters back on offense. Green, Posey, Edwards, Cross and Coombs. Wilder, Ricky and the Offensive Line. There has been talk of Posey taking another shot at the NFL, but I don't know about that. He had enough playing time down there that he wouldn't be paid rookie wages. Teams could have a new late draft choice play for the minimum salary and take up the same position on the roster.
    Having said that I would like to see a burner at WR that would put the fear into opposing defenses. Banks in Hamilton is a free agent. Maybe not him but somebody like that who can really stretch a defense. That would really help open up things under neath for Green and Company.

IF you're going to sign a burner type for the receiver corps, and Green, Posey, Edwards and Coombs remain the other 4 receivers in the 5 pack, wouldn't that burner have to occupy the wide-side WR spot ? - and they seem to want to go with the typical little used Canadian (Malcolm Williams or Ralph) at that spot?

I like the idea of real fast 5th receiver who gets some bombs thrown his way, to help stretch defences, but they did not use Williams that way = they have little faith in him or else he doesn't have the speed ? They could go with a fast import there, but that would mean playing a NI somewhere else in the line-up - on the O-line or somewhere on D - easily do-able IMO, but not if it's pre-determined that one of the 7 only NI spots is that wide-side WR; another option would be to use a NI there and actually use him on some deep routes - maybe Noel or Ralph could do the job, or they could try to sign FA Shaq Johnson from the Lions - had a pretty decent season and the guy has serious speed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think you need to go out and spend big money on a free agent receiver that has speed. There are so many out there that I would use our scouts and find someone. Gurley would have been great if he had a good attitude. There is more than one of those guys out there who have a good attitude and will help us manage the salary cap. Popp has been amazing at this throughout his career.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I see no reason to employ an expensive receiver at the wide-side WR spot. No team throws much to that position -- pretty well every throw there is deep, just based on how far he is from the QB; increased risk of picks. Those guys are mostly used to clear space underneath and block downfield. Williams can handle that, with Noel maybe working in more as well.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Speaking of the wide side WR, I’m guessing Fuller departs in the offseason, he went from potential nice addition, to having the dropsies to (seemingly) a healthy scratch. Too bad but such is life, too many other productive options this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I see no reason to employ an expensive receiver at the wide-side WR spot. No team throws much to that position -- pretty well every throw there is deep, just based on how far he is from the QB; increased risk of picks. Those guys are mostly used to clear space underneath and block downfield. Williams can handle that, with Noel maybe working in more as well.

OK, but i guess you're saying you accept standard, same old look CFL offence as the only possibility? We could write-off increased use of a speedy wide-side WR (who gets some deep throws his way with big play potential, plus catches some basic outs & hooks for first downs), just like we could totally discount increased use of a fullback, tight end or the hybrid H-back for a CFL offence.

Was Jeff Fuller playing wide-side WR on the Argo offence early in the season? - cause he was targeted 51 times in 8 games according to CFL stats; that's more targets than Malcolm Williams & Jimmy Ralph combined got in their time in the Argo offence. I'd suggest a wide-side WR can be targeted quite a bit more, if he is regarded more highly by the offence.

Whatever - but I'm a fan of diversity on offence in football and standard CFL offences of today show little of it. Malcolm Williams at wide-side WR for this Argo offence did little; rather see more of Cross line-up as a tight end than a WR who runs mostly clearing routes and doesn't scare any DBs cause they know he will never get a deep pass thrown his way and rarely any passes period.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Does anyone have a good estimate for what proportion of snaps Cross was on the field (towards the end of the season)? On TV it is difficult to notice guys unless the ball goes in their direction, so I'm not sure how often he is targeted. Regardless, I'm not sure we need to use him sparingly. If there was a game this year when we "overused" him and our opponent shut him down, I missed it.

I'm not proposing a major change. But if Coombs is on the bench (injured or resting), I think we should be playing Cross instead of Ralph.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Does anyone have a good estimate for what proportion of snaps Cross was on the field (towards the end of the season)? On TV it is difficult to notice guys unless the ball goes in their direction, so I'm not sure how often he is targeted. Regardless, I'm not sure we need to use him sparingly. If there was a game this year when we "overused" him and our opponent shut him down, I missed it.

I'm not proposing a major change. But if Coombs is on the bench (injured or resting), I think we should be playing Cross instead of Ralph.
    They have different roles and positions. The Argos shuttled Cross and Coombs (and Ralph when he replaced Coombs due to injury) in and out mostly based on the formation. Cross was always in when there were double tight ends, with either J Campbell or (after he was injured) Watman/Kolankowski. Cross was also often in as a single TE/H-back. Coombs was almost always in when there were five receivers and one RB. Very rarely were Coombs and Cross on the field at the same time. At least, that was my unscientific view at the home games where I could watch personnel deployment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When Ottawa deploys an H-back (Patrick Lavoie) - a fair amount in their offence - they do not take out starting NI receiver Sinopoli to go with Lavoie; it would be mostly a starting import receiver who is replaced.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos also removed Green, Posey, Edwards and Williams at times, and very occasionally used Jackson instead of a slotback. They seemed to have a lot of different receiver packages this season.