Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Wonder what the CFL BOG (hey - GOB spelled bacwards) types would be asking for an Atlantic expansion team franchise fee ?

IMO - they should bend over backwards to let them in for free basically - cause it would be such a huge shot in the arm for the league and all franchises; but that would fly in the face of biz-ness/profit motive & gouging deep thinking.

Also wonder what old cheap-skate Braley is expecting to get for the Lions? - did I hear he was asking 15 mil ? = that's a total joke IMO.
    Braley reportedly wants around $20 million.

Free expansion team ? I don't think that's a good business move by the League - Basically saying that CFL teams are worthless, and I'm pretty sure the League and it's team are a $200+ million business.

Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I read somewhere that Ottawa paid an expansion fee of $4.5 -$5 million. I suspect that unless the CFL would like to return this fee, they'd better recover at least that amount from a new team. Look for MLSE to except value-added ideas to the league.
    OSEG paid $7 million.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Speaking of franchise values, heck the Riders with the new wonderful stadium and continuing with the previous licence to print money mentality are I believe either number 2 or 3 in team merchandising in all of country.
    Right behind the leafs.
    Anyway the team has got to be worth way north of $100M.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Speaking of franchise values, heck the Riders with the new wonderful stadium and continuing with the previous licence to print money mentality are I believe either number 2 or 3 in team merchandising in all of country.
    Right behind the leafs.
    Anyway the team has got to be worth way north of $100M.
    Since the team is community owned, wouldn't their value be publicly known?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    No. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it -- it's not an objective number unless the team is sold. The team's not for sale, so any conjecture about value is pure speculation.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nope, and it's very difficult to "buy" the team as well. Katz has looked into buying the Eskimos and Asper almost took over the Bombers during their stadium planning.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it -- it's not an objective number unless the team is sold. The team's not for sale, so any conjecture about value is pure speculation.
    I agree with you, but as you know Forbes puts out their list of most valuable NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB teams for example. Most of those teams aren't for sale. You can put a value on something that isn't for sale, even if its just speculation, just like argotom's "the team has got to be worth way north of $100M", which is just speculation. But I would assume the organization itself has a number of their perceived value of their team's worth, based upon assets, revenue etc, and I was wondering that since its a community owned entity that that value might have to made public.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree with you, but as you know Forbes puts out their list of most valuable NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB teams for example. Most of those teams aren't for sale. You can put a value on something that isn't for sale, even if its just speculation, just like argotom's "the team has got to be worth way north of $100M", which is just speculation. But I would assume the organization itself has a number of their perceived value of their team's worth, based upon assets, revenue etc, and I was wondering that since its a community owned entity that that value might have to made public.
    I very much doubt the organization has anything more than directors shooting the breeze about it. Since the franchise is not for sale or really even sellable, what would be the point of paying an accountant to come up with a theoretical number? And even if they do have one, I can't see why it would be required to be released just because it's community owned. Unless the ownership agreement required that every piece of info held by the org be made public, which I'm sure it doesn't.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I very much doubt the organization has anything more than directors shooting the breeze about it. Since the franchise is not for sale or really even sellable, what would be the point of paying an accountant to come up with a theoretical number? And even if they do have one, I can't see why it would be required to be released just because it's community owned. Unless the ownership agreement required that every piece of info held by the org be made public, which I'm sure it doesn't.
    Ok thanks. Admittedly I thought there might be some rules in place, as there would be with a publicly traded company, but obviously that's not the case. However that doesn't stop some people from using the data from earnings, assets and outstanding shares (which are public) of the club to come up with a theoretical value. For example according to this Regina based "financial whiz" the Riders could have been valued at approx 43 million back in 2012 (theoretically of course): http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...rs-share-value

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    David Beckham may soon add a new MLS franchise.

Cleverly, he had in his past contract with LA Galaxy and MLS a right to add a franchise at anytime in the future for $25 million. He's now looking to exercise this option in Miami. Might be a good barometer to what he considers to a peaking in franchise fees for MLS?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by energus View Post
    And that's with MLSE using the Leafs to sell TFC corporate sponsorship and tickets (about $21 million according to Rick Westhead a couple of years ago). Imagine what the Argonauts could do if Rogers bought into them, and the Argonauts were a part of MLSE.
    They have been part of mlse for a couple of years now and not much has been done as far as I can see. Argos tix should be mandatory for leafs and raptors ticket holders.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227