https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/11/argos-...trade-eskimos/

I'd say Ricky Ray isn't coming back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    @TSNDaveNaylor: The @TorontoArgos have acquired the rights to pending free agent QB James Franklin, and a 3rd-round pick from… https://t.co/wolSGKbc6Y

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...83683369635840

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yeah, this tells me Ray is done and good to go out on top.

Hope the signing comes soon and has a good stay here and the QB pipeline from Edmonton continues

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Presumably we have a plan to get him signed, but I don't really understand what a player's incentive is to avoid free agency. I understand when players are happy where they are and re-sign with their current team, but if you know you're moving, why not wait to decide until you've heard everyone's offer?

Also, I'm sorry we never got to see what Woods could do. Our OL eventually became pretty good this year, but I was hoping to see Woods challenge Holmes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Although we have only seen him in limited action, he could be the real deal.
    I hope we can sign him.
    This likely means Ricky will retire.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    What is any does this do to the QB depth chart?

Surely Jeff Matthews in gone..

We also had Fajardo, Prukop, and Bethel-Thompson on the roster.

If Ricky is gone, I see Franklin at 1, followed by Fajardo and Bethel-Thompson.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Popp still sounds confident Ray might be back.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Franklin is looking for starter type money. If Ray is back and its his job to lose, how would not get "starter money" affect him?

Arguably, Popp doesn't have the financial flexibility to pay both Ray and Franklin, when he has the receiving core to re-sign (Green, Posey and Edwards are all free agents).

I cannot see Popp making this move, without knowing Ricky decision. Popp, is hedging his bet - that Ray is in fact DONE.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not liking the idea of trading Woods or the rumblings Franklin only wants a one year deal (will try the NFL this year, then next). Franklin told the Esks that he wouldn't back up Reilly, but he wants to back up Ray ?

I think Franklin a good QB with a lot of potential, but a lot of questions here.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Not liking the idea of trading Woods or the rumblings Franklin only wants a one year deal (will try the NFL this year, then next). Franklin told the Esks that he wouldn't back up Reilly, but he wants to back up Ray ?

I think Franklin a good QB with a lot of potential, but a lot of questions here.
    Gut feeling says we gave up Mason Woods for nothing. Unless Argos guarantee him money up front and starters position but Popp still says its Ray's position to lose. Popp doesn't value Canadian draft picks anyways LOL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Gut feeling says we gave up Mason Woods for nothing. Unless Argos guarantee him money up front and starters position but Popp still says its Ray's position to lose. Popp doesn't value Canadian draft picks anyways LOL
    Wouldn't be the first time we've done that lol - Drew Willy. Sounds like we got a 3 rounder for Woods though.

It'll be interesting though, because I just to don't see Franklin wanting to be here if he potentially has to play behind Ray, even if it's only for 1 year. Should Ray retire then it all becomes moot. I still think we need a good back-up behind Ray and/or Franklin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    After just hearing this news, my reaction is the following.

As things stand now, I don't like this move, especially for the one-night - er, I mean year - stand.

While I'd love to see Bridge in Toronto, that is (was) - unfortunately - rather a long shot (and he now has an immanent NFL tryout).

Missing out on Bridge, I'd prefer to have signed Collaros and kept Woods.

Finally, although we all know there's the QB position and then everything else, no CFL team can afford to sink too many dollars into quarterback(s). That is a recipe for unhappiness and failure. Ergo, I must assume that Ray's playing days are over (and that is too bad, since I didn't see any evidence of his "losing it", as exemplified by former talent Darian Durant).

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post

While I'd love to see Bridge in Toronto, that is (was) - unfortunately - rather a long shot (and he now has an immanent NFL tryout).
    Means nothing. Giants Assistant GM, who's Canadian, and got promoted since the firing has been known to bring in 10+ Canadian players to camp. Only Brett Jones ever signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Means nothing. Giants Assistant GM, who's Canadian, and got promoted since the firing has been known to bring in 10+ Canadian players to camp. Only Brett Jones ever signed.
    It means something - it's the first step of an opportunity, whatever the ultimate likelihood of success that you or I might assign - but of course it guarantees nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It means something - it's the first step of an opportunity, whatever the ultimate likelihood of success that you or I might assign - but of course it guarantees nothing.
    Most likely doesn't mean much, Abrams does this every year.

Will be interesting to see how many Canadians are brought in the Giants camp next year with a different GM, who may not even keep Abrams around.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    After just hearing this news, my reaction is the following.

As things stand now, I don't like this move, especially for the one-night - er, I mean year - stand.

Missing out on Bridge, I'd prefer to have signed Collaros and kept Woods.

Finally, although we all know there's the QB position and then everything else, no CFL team can afford to sink too many dollars into quarterback(s). That is a recipe for unhappiness and failure. Ergo, I must assume that Ray's playing days are over (and that is too bad, since I didn't see any evidence of his "losing it", as exemplified by former talent Darian Durant).
    There is absolutely no downside to this trade. Woods didn't make the active roster for even 1 game this past season, a sign the Argos don't see him as much. Very rare for a player selected in the top 10 of a draft. At the very least, the Argos get a 3rd round pick for a guy they had no interest in keeping.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Always hate to trade a guy named Woods, but IMO this is fairly low-risk. Ten o-linemen dressed for Argos this year; he was not one of them. Watching him at Fan Day and on the sideline at home games, he never struck me as connected/bonded in any way with the rest of the o-line group. Kind of reminded me of Matt Sewell in that regard. The risk is he turns out to be another Chris Walby. But he might also turn out to be another Mark Moroz.

As for Franklin, he looked amazing in two games against the Argos in 2015 and 2016, but it was against an Argo defence that seemed pretty terrible all around. Nonetheless, if he signs there is a lot of upside to him, both as a player and a guy to market as the face of the team. I imagine Popp either knows or strongly suspects Ricky is gonna retire. I hope he comes back and a way can be found to get both guys signed, but that seems unlikely. Next year's QB depth chart may be Franklin, Bethel-Thompson and Fajardo, with Prukop and a new kid for additional depth.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    There is absolutely no downside to this trade. Woods didn't make the active roster for even 1 game this past season, a sign the Argos don't see him as much. Very rare for a player selected in the top 10 of a draft. At the very least, the Argos get a 3rd round pick for a guy they had no interest in keeping.
    Again Angelo gets it right in my books. I'm sorry for Mason Woods #10 pick overall and everything, but he looks like a bust to me. Just going by seeing him at the combine and in the pre-season games. They obviously have Jamal Campbell and Chris Kolankowski and maybe even D.J. Sackey ahead of Woods.There is also a half dozen or more Canadian O Linemen rated high in the draft this year.

The word on Franklin was that he was going to give the NFL a shot. Edmonton hardly played him the last couple of years like they were trying to hide him. But you can't hide that talent, as it showed every time he got a chance to play. What Popp and Trestman might try and convince him to do though, is to come to Toronto for a couple of years under Trestman if you really want to learn how to play QB. Then if you put up big numbers the NFL will come with big signing bonuses and a fair shake to start down there. (Garcia & Moon are good examples). Franklin reminds me of Moon size wise and the way he sets up and throws.

I don't know if the League could bend the rules to allow the Argos to, shall we say add "some perks" beside Franklin's salary. I mean when the Argo owners are paying the League 40 million a year and Toronto needs news head lines it might be time for some creative book keeping. Toronto is an expensive place to live.

But I really thought Ricky was coming back for another year though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Always hate to trade a guy named Woods, but IMO this is fairly low-risk. Ten o-linemen dressed for Argos this year; he was not one of them. Watching him at Fan Day and on the sideline at home games, he never struck me as connected/bonded in any way with the rest of the o-line group. Kind of reminded me of Matt Sewell in that regard. The risk is he turns out to be another Chris Walby. But he might also turn out to be another Mark Moroz.

As for Franklin, he looked amazing in two games against the Argos in 2015 and 2016, but it was against an Argo defence that seemed pretty terrible all around. Nonetheless, if he signs there is a lot of upside to him, both as a player and a guy to market as the face of the team. I imagine Popp either knows or strongly suspects Ricky is gonna retire. I hope he comes back and a way can be found to get both guys signed, but that seems unlikely. Next year's QB depth chart may be Franklin, Bethel-Thompson and Fajardo, with Prukop and a new kid for additional depth.
    Interesting.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not sure that I'd like to go cold turkey to Franklin right away, however he's gotta get his chance at some point.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022