Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I'm not sure that I'd like to go cold turkey to Franklin right away, however he's gotta get his chance at some point.
    I would take that chance.
    If Ricky is not coming back, I would try to sign him to a multi year first string type deal to stay.
    Why not, if for some reason it does not work just let him go since the football contracts are not guaranteed.
    For what I have seen he should be a franchise player if he decides to stay in our league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I'm not sure that I'd like to go cold turkey to Franklin right away, however he's gotta get his chance at some point.
    Whether it's Ray or Franklin, I still think we need a capable backup and/or potential future starter. I look at this deal as Popp saying he's (maybe even Trestman as well) not completely sold on Bethel Thompson, Matthews, Fajardo, and Prukop at this point. Probably also says that Woods was more of a project than initially thought as well. We at least get a third rounder or out the deal, and the Eskimos get yet another big offensive lineman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I would take that chance.
    If Ricky is not coming back, I would try to sign him to a multi year first string type deal to stay.
    Why not, if for some reason it does not work just let him go since the football contracts are not guaranteed.
    For what I have seen he should be a franchise player if he decides to stay in our league.
    My guess is Ray has given the Argos an indication he is retiring, if correct I agree with you Tom.
    Make the bold move and sign Franklin to a starting QB contract and see what happens.
    Last edited by Argo57; 12-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Doesn't make sense since he's a free agent in Feb. Something must be brewing that would make sense of it all (Ray retiring?). I like Franklin. In his limited time, he threw for 12TDs and 1 INT. A coaches dream, with those numbers. At 26 years old, he's got 10 more years of potential stardom. I wonder if he would sign for a Trevor Harris like deal ($200+ this season and $400+ next), $600+ for two years work would be a big raise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Doesn't make sense since he's a free agent in Feb. Something must be brewing that would make sense of it all (Ray retiring?). I like Franklin. In his limited time, he threw for 12TDs and 1 INT. A coaches dream, with those numbers. At 26 years old, he's got 10 more years of potential stardom. I wonder if he would sign for a Trevor Harris like deal ($200+ this season and $400+ next), $600+ for two years work would be a big raise.
    Difference is that Trevor was willing to be Burris' backup in year one, but according to Brock Sunderland (Esks GM) Franklin wants a shot to be the starter. If Ray continues to play, Popp has already stated that Ray is the starter.
    Franklin may also want to wait until free agency to see how much he could get.

Maybe Popp flips Franklin if Ray re-signs ?
    Last edited by R.J; 12-11-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    ...The word on Franklin was that he was going to give the NFL a shot. Edmonton hardly played him the last couple of years like they were trying to hide him. But you can't hide that talent, as it showed every time he got a chance to play. What Popp and Trestman might try and convince him to do though, is to come to Toronto for a couple of years under Trestman if you really want to learn how to play QB. Then if you put up big numbers the NFL will come with big signing bonuses and a fair shake to start down there. (Garcia & Moon are good examples)...
    This. His numbers are great but he hasn't even thrown half a season's worth of passes. He needs at least a full year of stats to get a better chance down south and backing up Reilly isn't going to get him there on the right side of 30.

If he does have a great year and leaves for the NFL then so be it. It's an unavoidable risk with young talent.

Best to Ray if this is it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    This. His numbers are great but he hasn't even thrown half a season's worth of passes. He needs at least a full year of stats to get a better chance down south and backing up Reilly isn't going to get him there on the right side of 30.

If he does have a great year and leaves for the NFL then so be it. It's an unavoidable risk with young talent.

Best to Ray if this is it.
    Doesn't really need great CFL numbers though, just needs an agent to get him some tryouts. Graham Harrell never got into a game for the Riders in 2009, yet was with the Packers from 2010-2012, then the Jets in 2013.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ray is packing it in?

Argos hopes Franklin bites on a one year deal even - for a chance to play for Trestman and further his NFL out-look for down the road ? Not sure going for a QB for just one year does much to build for the future ?

Not giving up anything in Woods - IF they think he has no potential ? - be kinda sad to see him go on to be a long-time CFL starter or all-star though; but there are a lots of good O-line prospects in this coming draft IMO = back to the drawing board there ?

Not overly sold on Franklin like some are (like plenty over at Riderfans. who seem to view him as some sort of superstar) - but he has looked very good in some CFL action. Much rather have gone for Bridge (probably be thrilled to get a chance to be the starter in his hometown and work like a dog to get there); or Collaros (has had a superb CFL season as a real starter - Franklin has NOT) - both of whom are more unlikely to get an NFL call, but you never know there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Being "old", when I first read about this trade I thought back to the 1980 off season when the Argos traded away a very good veteran Canadian o-lineman named Kevin Powell to Ottawa (back then they were called the Roughriders don't ya know) in exchange for young QB Condredge Holloway.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    being "old", when i first read about this trade i thought back to the 1980 off season when the argos traded away a very good veteran canadian o-lineman named kevin powell to ottawa (back then they were called the Rough Riders don't ya know) in exchange for young qb condredge holloway.
    FYP

Why do the capital letters disappear? I had to go edit the code.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://edmontonsun.com/sports/footba...man-draft-pick
    While the Argos won the Franklin lottery amid interest from at least three other teams, including the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the Montreal Alouettes and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, there is no immediate guarantee of a payout as Franklin is currently focused on working out for as many National Football League clubs that will see him before he commits to another term up north.
    Hogie believes that Franklin will wait to see what happens with Ray.
    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-11...gning-1.940731

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great pickup! Even if it is just for the chance to have the inside track with negotiations. I have confidence that Franklin will do well in this league and even more so now that he is with Trestman.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:

Level
    So are CFL off seasons always this good?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ray was pretty good when he began with us in 2012. We all knew that he would be. In late September of that year he was chased from the Montreal game in the first quarter. Ray watched the next 4 or 5 weeks from the sidelines as Jarious Jackson adequately, if unspectacularly filled in. It was during this period that Ray saw the Trestman inspired Milanovich offence in its fullness for the first time. In later interviews he credited this stretch on the sidelines and in the film room as the point where it clicked and he "got it". The rest is CFL history: Ray came back and in a new evolution of himself where he was setting new records for completion percentage and efficiency lead us undefeated for the remainder of the year where we smoked the Stamps in the 100th Grey Cup at home.

So why the history lesson, bluto? We all remember that very well.

True. And we'd all agree that Ray has if not the highest Football IQ of any CFL QB in memory, that he's in the running, right? Ok, so would a young QB then, not need at least as much time to be brought to his best level in Trestman's offence? Would not he be in his best situation to succeed with Trestman and Brady instructing him and having Ray's example to follow and his brain to pick?

I submit that Popp and Trestman are calling this Plan A. And that Franklin and his agent have already been felt out on this. And that a 26 year old with a big future could do much worse than that sort of scholarship.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:

Level
    In keeping with this weeks new movie, we got a Luke Skywalker / Yoda situation brewing it sounds like. Or is that now Luke and Rey? Ray!!1 ooooh it's all coming together!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Saugonaut View Post
    In keeping with this weeks new movie, we got a Luke Skywalker / Yoda situation brewing it sounds like. Or is that now Luke and Rey? Ray!!1 ooooh it's all coming together!
    Nice! May the force be with us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was hoping we'd acquire Franklin or Collaros this off-season, so, assuming we sign him, I'm more than okay with this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good pro-active management. They got a good 1 year sample of Mason Woods, and I believe they preferred other players moving forward regardless. Options in this position are huge. I'm not sure that Jim Popp can't sell Franklin on one more year of Ricky -- with him being his future QB Coach. Jim Popp could sell coal in Newcastle, and players are going to want to play for this group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO the play here is that the Argos want Franklin to start next season with Ray at backup. This way Franklin gets to be mentored and Ray gets another season where he gets paid decent but isn't being hit. Plus he could play if Franklin gets hurt. This would also be good for Ray as he transitions into coaching and good for Franklin as he makes a name for himself in the league's biggest media market (That's seen down south)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    IMO the play here is that the Argos want Franklin to start next season with Ray at backup. This way Franklin gets to be mentored and Ray gets another season where he gets paid decent but isn't being hit. Plus he could play if Franklin gets hurt. This would also be good for Ray as he transitions into coaching and good for Franklin as he makes a name for himself in the league's biggest media market (That's seen down south)
    That's completely contrary to what Popp said yesterday: that if Ricky is back, he's the starter. The only way this scenario happens is if Ricky himself suggests it, IMO, and that seems very unlikely.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7