Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    To me this trade is low risk but fascinating all the same. Edmonton gets an O-lineman for a guy that had made it clear that he would not play behind the league's MOP and would test free agency. The Argos pick up a third round pick for a guy they didn't seem to think fit in their plans. The Franklin wrinkle is where it gets fascinating.

Has Franklin shown enough in his limited body of work to command a long term top echelon contract? That is for smarter football minds than mine to determine but if he is unwilling to learn his trade behind the MOP I don’t see why he would want to do the same in Toronto with Ricky Ray even with Marc Trestman as coach. Franklin projects a now or never attitude and I’m not sold that he is the one to anoint as the future of the team particularly since he has played so little and has made his NFL aspirations well known. If he signs and works out it is great. At the very least we got a third rounder that could develop into a useful acquisition.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Huge difference for Franklin: barring injury, he will not be starting behind Reilly who is 32 years old; whereas, Franklin can wait as back-up here and learn behind Ricky and Trestman for a year and become our starter after that (and hopefully one more Grey Cup for the Argos with Ricky leading the way).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    By all indications, Franklin wants to start now, not in 2019 or 2020. Whether behind Reilly or Ray makes no difference, pay scale and the ability to starter does. Brock Sunderland even asked Franklin what type of numbers ($$$) he wanted - Franklin's answer was that he respectfully wouldn't sign to be a back up and wants his shot to be a starter. If Ray returns, Popp already stated that Ray would be the starter, and can anyone see Trestman sitting Ray for Franklin ?

I also don't understand this notion that being Coached by Trestman = his shot to the NFL. I'm a big Trestman fan, but can anyone name one CFL QB that Trestman has coached up for the NFL ?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not saying that Franklin will ever go to NFL with or without Trestman.

Where would he be the starter next year other than in Montreal? What Franklin wants and what he gets may differ.

Backing up Ricky would mean he (likely) would start in one year (maybe two?) -- Big difference between Ray 38 vs Reilly 32 years old.

Not to forget, there are other current starting QB's that are free agents -- they might be slotted ahead of Franklin on any team's depth charts, especially if they sign for starter's $$.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    Where would he be the starter next year other than in Montreal? What Franklin wants and what he gets may differ.
    I think you are selling short Franklin's options. He'd almost certainly be an upgrade in Sask, and it's possible the Lions would prefer him to Jennings. And Ham has not yet announced Masoli re-signing so they could also be in play for Franklin if he gets to FA.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Montreal badly needs a starter. Harris' contract is up in Ottawa, and Desjardins didn't sound too impressed with him at the end of the season. Until Masoli and Manziel sign in Hamilton there's another opening. Saskatchewan needs a starter and Jones brought Franklin into the CFL. Jennings is currently looking at NFL options and Lulay with either retire or stick as the back up in BC. Lots of potential openings there, why would Franklin sell himself short ?

Very wishful thinking that Franklin only has Toronto and Montreal as options. Montreal would at least hand him the starting spot and starters $$$.

Te be clear, I'm not saying I don't want Franklin here, far from it as I think we need him, because Ray's health is still questionable IMO (2018 was only the second time in 6 years that Ray started more than 14 games). However, Franklin wants to start now, and so long as Ray is here, Ray is the starter, even if it's only for a year or two. Franklin's only hope here if Ray returns, is if Ricky gets injured in 2018, and Trestman decides that Franklin is the starter the rest of the way, and 2019, 2020, 2021 etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post

I submit that Popp and Trestman are calling this Plan A. And that Franklin and his agent have already been felt out on this. And that a 26 year old with a big future could do much worse than that sort of scholarship.
    I'm with you, Bluto, Franklin was the absolute best choice of any available or free agent QB to replace Ricky Ray, and Popp went out and got him. Christmas comes early for Argo fans. Franklin may still want an NFL shot, but he's got to give us at least two years here, and ownership can certainly sweeten the pot with a lot of things on top of his salary that might convince him to settle down here.

I fell in love with this guy when he took Missouri to within one game of the NCAA National Championship in 2013. Missouri had no business being anywhere near there with the talent they had, but Franklin carried the whole team on his back, pulling games out of the fire with his grit and his smarts. He doesn't score well on the measurables, but he's got all the intangibles -- a true character guy, a natural leader, great football smarts, and a winner. This could be the start of something big.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    but can anyone name one CFL QB that Trestman has coached up for the NFL ?
    I bet if you asked Jay Cutler he'd tell you that Trestman is a big reason he's still playing at a relatively high level.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I bet if you asked Jay Cutler he'd tell you that Trestman is a big reason he's still playing at a relatively high level.
    When did Cutler play in the CFL ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That's completely contrary to what Popp said yesterday: that if Ricky is back, he's the starter. The only way this scenario happens is if Ricky himself suggests it, IMO, and that seems very unlikely.
    That's assuming Popp is being truthful.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Late 70's

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If the question is whether Trestman has ever helped advance a QB's career the answer is yes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If the question is whether Trestman has ever helped advance a QB's career the answer is yes.
    I don't recall that being my question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    I'm not saying that Franklin will ever go to NFL with or without Trestman.

Backing up Ricky would mean he (likely) would start in one year (maybe two?) -- Big difference between Ray 38 vs Reilly 32 years old.

Not to forget, there are other current starting QB's that are free agents -- they might be slotted ahead of Franklin on any team's depth charts, especially if they sign for starter's $$.
    http://edmontonsun.com/sports/footba...man-draft-pick
    While the Argos won the Franklin lottery amid interest from at least three other teams, including the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the Montreal Alouettes and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats,

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm with you, Bluto, Franklin was the absolute best choice of any available or free agent QB to replace Ricky Ray, and Popp went out and got him. Christmas comes early for Argo fans. Franklin may still want an NFL shot, but he's got to give us at least two years here, and ownership can certainly sweeten the pot with a lot of things on top of his salary that might convince him to settle down here.

I fell in love with this guy when he took Missouri to within one game of the NCAA National Championship in 2013. Missouri had no business being anywhere near there with the talent they had, but Franklin carried the whole team on his back, pulling games out of the fire with his grit and his smarts. He doesn't score well on the measurables, but he's got all the intangibles -- a true character guy, a natural leader, great football smarts, and a winner. This could be the start of something big.
    Intangibles can be extremely important: the best example in football... Jerry Rice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Intangibles can be extremely important: the best example in football... Jerry Rice.

Pinball and even better example, and from the CFL.

As far as Qbs with potential - lots of them have plenty of it. Jonathan Jennings was said to be the next CFL superstar (with the NFL to be calling soon afterwards) - and this after he flashed more than the bit of CFL QB skills that Franklin has shown; but Jennings faltered badly under pressure of being the Lions starter last season. Vernon Adams was a very good college ball QB (and also played great in the East/West Shrine all-star game) - Jim Popp traded away a 1st round draft pick to get Adams - who didn't seize the Als starting job and who was only able to make 3rd string on the Riders depth chart last season (still say Adams has lots of potential - IMO). Andrew Buckley had a completion % of 76.2 (better than any starter in the league) in over a full game worth of playing time for the Stamps last season.

As far as QB accomplishments in the CFL (and FAs) - Collaros, Harris, Masoli and Bridge have shown more than Franklin - stats wise and in playing in meaningful games - especially the first two.

I wouldn't count on Franklin being the starter anywhere. Going by what I've seen from the actual CFL field of play; that last game he had a start/playing time - against a defeated & demoralized Argo D in their $hite season - Franklin did look very good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Late 70's
    😂😂😂

One of the last big leg straight ahead kickers.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Pinball and even better example, and from the CFL.

As far as Qbs with potential - lots of them have plenty of it. Jonathan Jennings was said to be the next CFL superstar (with the NFL to be calling soon afterwards) - and this after he flashed more than the bit of CFL QB skills that Franklin has shown; but Jennings faltered badly under pressure of being the Lions starter last season. Vernon Adams was a very good college ball QB (and also played great in the East/West Shrine all-star game) - Jim Popp traded away a 1st round draft pick to get Adams - who didn't seize the Als starting job and who was only able to make 3rd string on the Riders depth chart last season (still say Adams has lots of potential - IMO). Andrew Buckley had a completion % of 76.2 (better than any starter in the league) in over a full game worth of playing time for the Stamps last season.

As far as QB accomplishments in the CFL (and FAs) - Collaros, Harris, Masoli and Bridge have shown more than Franklin - stats wise and in playing in meaningful games - especially the first two.

I wouldn't count on Franklin being the starter anywhere. Going by what I've seen from the actual CFL field of play; that last game he had a start/playing time - against a defeated & demoralized Argo D in their $hite season - Franklin did look very good.
    Are you trying to insinuate that Buckley is better or has shown more than Franklin ?

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Are you trying to insinuate that Buckley is better or has shown more than Franklin ?
    Wouldn't stun me.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

No - not at all - Buckley has less CFL playing time to go by; he does have a better career completion %, for what that is worth.

I realize some very usual suspect CFL fans would totally discount Buckley as belonging anywhere in the young QBs with CFL potential conversation - a young American QB who had put up those passing stats, and I'd bet it would be a totally different story. Just like there will be pretty well zero talk or recognition of Laval's Hugo Richard in that conversation or the one for the CFL draft. OTOH - there should be all sorts of amusing fawning over some young US college ball QBs who might be available to the CFL for TCs. ;o)