Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Not with Montreal needing a starter pretty badly.
    My guess is his agent explored NFL options and came back with little. Probably would have been a training camp arm for little signing bonus.
    They may have even said get more film.
    As for Montreal, he may be smart enough to see under Reed and a whole new coaching staff, no amount of $$ would make that worth it compared to working with Trestman and possible Ray.
    Add in Ham and Sask settling on QB's...the market pretty much gone.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Even if he preferred Toronto to Montreal, why not use their offer as leverage to squeeze more money out of us? Obviously I've never negotiated a CFL contract - maybe the dollar differences aren't big enough to justify the hassle. Or maybe we "overpaid" a little in order to better prepare our strategy for free agency.

Regardless, this seems pretty great. We've addressed our biggest offseason concern, and that in turn should help to retain/recruit important guys in free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Agree with the previous two posts.

BTW, I'd suggest that even should Ray return and stay healthy, Franklin must get some significant amount of playing time. It does no one any good to have Franklin hold a clipboard all season long.
    Last edited by Argo; 01-04-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Even if he preferred Toronto to Montreal, why not use their offer as leverage to squeeze more money out of us? Obviously I've never negotiated a CFL contract - maybe the dollar differences aren't big enough to justify the hassle. Or maybe we "overpaid" a little in order to better prepare our strategy for free agency.

Regardless, this seems pretty great. We've addressed our biggest offseason concern, and that in turn should help to retain/recruit important guys in free agency.
    Franklin may be motivated by more than just money (and let's face it, he is likely getting a very sizeable pay raise). It's possible the money is good enough that an extra month and a half to work with our coaches and learn the offence was a bigger factor than the "what if" that would come from waiting for an offer from an organization that's a bit of a trainwreck. Would Montreal have made him the highest-paid player in the league? Maybe. Would it be worth an extra (say) $100k to risk entering a bad situation vs. being here under Trestman, Walsh et al? Maybe not.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    BTW, I'd suggest that even should Ray return and stay healthy, Franklin must get some significant amount of playing time. It does no one any good to have Franklin hold a clipboard all season long.
    No question he needs to play a fair bit, even if Ricky re-signs. I have to believe Trestman and Popp know that, and that if Ricky re-signs it will be on the understanding that there is some degree of QB rotation.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No question he needs to play a fair bit, even if Ricky re-signs. I have to believe Trestman and Popp know that, and that if Ricky re-signs it will be on the understanding that there is some degree of QB rotation.
    Easier said than done. If Ray is back and playing well, very difficult to have a coach like Trestman take him out. He's a very competitive coach and will stay with the guy he most believes in at the moment, I believe.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We've addressed our biggest offseason concern, and that in turn should help to retain/recruit important guys in free agency.
    Apparently a certain Mr. "Here's the game ball, oh by the way you've been traded" has tweeted his concern about his free agency contract negotiation and speculated about greener (perhaps double-bluer?) pastures.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Apparently a certain Mr. "Here's the game ball, oh by the way you've been traded" has tweeted his concern about his free agency contract negotiation and speculated about greener (perhaps double-bluer?) pastures.
    I wonder how much TJ Heath is asking for?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Easier said than done. If Ray is back and playing well, very difficult to have a coach like Trestman take him out. He's a very competitive coach and will stay with the guy he most believes in at the moment, I believe.
    I believe Ricky is intent on winding down his playing career with an eye towards coaching in the future. I don't think he wants to take a beating anymore, but he still wants to be involved with the team. He was willing to take a backup contract with incentives to support Trevor Harris, and I'd be willing to bet he'd take a backup contract to support James Franklin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I wonder how much TJ Heath is asking for?
    Really don't think we need a high-priced DB on the wrong side of 30, unless our own FA DBs all go elsewhere. I liked our secondary at the end of the season, and that was without Alden Darby and Josh Mitchell. Darby can play and Mitchell looks like a good one, if he can stay healthy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Popp & Trestman took some criticism in Montreal for almost never giving any reps to whoever was behind Calvillo - did they not? I don't recall the situation was always that Calvillo had to play every snap because another East team was about to over-take the Als ? And MacPherson was considered a prize young CFL QB prospect there at one time, was he not ?

I just don't get the notion that Ricky Ray - especially how he played last season with a GC win - should be asked to take a back-seat to a done very little of anything substantial in the CFL QB like Franklin; Ray should be the starter unless he $uck$ bad and loses a bunch of games; but Franklin should be playing at every good opportunity - like anytime they have a 20+ point lead into the 4th quarter, or conversely are behind 20 points late in a game, or to start games at the end of the year if 1st place is sewn up or another play-off spot is already decided.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    James Franklin and a 3rd for Mason Woods....great job Mr.Popp!!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Really don't think we need a high-priced DB on the wrong side of 30, unless our own FA DBs all go elsewhere. I liked our secondary at the end of the season, and that was without Alden Darby and Josh Mitchell. Darby can play and Mitchell looks like a good one, if he can stay healthy.
    I don't want Heath. IMO, he is very overrated.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Props to Popp, the silver tongue, and probably Trestman for getting this done. If Ray signs, we have an awesome QB situation. I can see Franklin having a break out season with this team and I think he can see that opportunity having the greatest chance here than elsewhere (Montreal, Hamilton).

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Franklin should be playing at every good opportunity - like anytime they have a 20+ point lead into the 4th quarter, or conversely are behind 20 points late in a game, or to start games at the end of the year if 1st place is sewn up or another play-off spot is already decided.
    We never seem to be good enough - or bad enough - to give our backup QB useful playing time. Maybe things will be different next year (hopefully in the first category).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

I just don't get the notion that Ricky Ray - especially how he played last season with a GC win - should be asked to take a back-seat to a done very little of anything substantial in the CFL QB like Franklin; Ray should be the starter unless he $uck$ bad and loses a bunch of games
    I would agree with you if we knew that Ricky was raring to go to do it all over again, but clearly the guy's on the fence about committing to another year of all that physical punishment. If he wants to think long-term about going into coaching, then instead of retiring it would make sense for him to come back as a backup and a mentor to a guy with so much potential. Ricky is the ultimate team guy, it's a win-win. On the other hand, if he comes out guns blazing in the Spring saying he's ready to do it all over again then of course he won't be taking a backseat to anyone, but I don't see that happening.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would agree with you if we knew that Ricky was raring to go to do it all over again, but clearly the guy's on the fence about committing to another year of all that physical punishment. If he wants to think long-term about going into coaching, then instead of retiring it would make sense for him to come back as a backup and a mentor to a guy with so much potential. Ricky is the ultimate team guy, it's a win-win. On the other hand, if he comes out guns blazing in the Spring saying he's ready to do it all over again then of course he won't be taking a backseat to anyone, but I don't see that happening.
    Not a bad scenario. If Franklin is winning games (I don't mean by himself, naturally), then a win is a win. There'd be no better insurance policy than Ray, the erstwhile coach keeping in shape.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ricky just came off of a pretty good season, why would he, Trestman and Popp want him to be the backup ? Popp has already stated that if Ricky comes back he's the starter.
    I'm not a Ray fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't see Ray coming back in 2018 to be the backup QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There's no question that if Ricky decides to return (and the longer it takes him to decide, the less likely it is, IMO), he comes to camp as No. 1. But I believe he would never pull a Tom Brady and refuse to help his successor, and I think he would willingly buy into a succession plan that allows Franklin to get meaningful playing time. I also believe that despite impeccable credentials that could entitle him to be the highest-paid QB in the league, he will not hold the org hostage to unreasonable salary demands if he returns. My gut instinct right now is that he's retiring. Regardless, tho, we have a guy who could be our QB for the next half-decade or more. What a well-spoken young man he is. If he plays against everyone else like he played against us twice, he will be an all-star.