Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The experts can't see the upside to Rogers buying into the Argos. But Rogers is in the Cable business first and foremost. How many former Rogers Cable users like me switched to Bell because of Rogers treatment of the Argos. Just might be more than a few of us on here. Maybe it was just a coincidence but the day after the announcement a Rogers guy was at the door offering a deal. $99.00 for everything, about a quarter of what I'm paying Bell now. Kind of tempting to say the least.

The younger generation are cutting cable left right and center. I know in my family and relatives they have. Just maybe somewhere in the Boardrooms of Rogers someone brought it to the attention of the new CEO of a group that has quit them were disenchanted Argo fans.

That's my take on this move by MLSE. They aren't worried about losing or making a few Million on the Argos, but they are getting worried about losing their Cable customers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    The experts can't see the upside to Rogers buying into the Argos. But Rogers is in the Cable business first and foremost. How many former Rogers Cable users like me switched to Bell because of Rogers treatment of the Argos. Just might be more than a few of us on here. Maybe it was just a coincidence but the day after the announcement a Rogers guy was at the door offering a deal. $99.00 for everything, about a quarter of what I'm paying Bell now. Kind of tempting to say the least.

The younger generation are cutting cable left right and center. I know in my family and relatives they have. Just maybe somewhere in the Boardrooms of Rogers someone brought it to the attention of the new CEO of a group that has quit them were disenchanted Argo fans.

That's my take on this move by MLSE. They aren't worried about losing or making a few Million on the Argos, but they are getting worried about losing their Cable customers.
    That's hard to quantify. I cancelled our Rogers cellular services at home and business services and my reception wouldn't take Rogers incoming solicitation d. I left explicit instructions to refer to it as the "Argos" issue. Glad to see it resolved.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Just maybe somewhere in the Boardrooms of Rogers someone brought it to the attention of the new CEO
    A couple of things. New Rogers CEO Joe Natale, came from Telus , a western Canadian company, which has had a good relationship with the CFL. Also Natale was known for improving customer service in his former role at Telus and has also named customer service his top priority, something Rogers isn't especially renowned for.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    There's a promo airing on Sportsnet as of late to let people know that Bob signed an extension. during this promo, Bob admits to building a character so that his numbers would rise and people would listen. Arash is a CFL fan, but like Bob, I think says things just to get clicks and people talking about what he says. Shannon and Brunt are also well known CFL fans. Well Brunt is a Ticats fan, and Shannon is an Argos/CFL fan. Cox says he is, but I doubt it. Reminds me of when Lang stated Brady was a Ticats fan.

What I'd like to know is, how did the Argos go from losing $10 million to $12 million since McCown returned ?
    If they were serious fans of the league, they would sacrifice "clicks" that are damaging to the league in this market.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If they were serious fans of the league, they would sacrifice "clicks" that are damaging to the league in this market.
    That’s how I see it as well, who in their right mind would claim to be a CFL fan then go on the radio and ridicule the league?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Your implication is unfair. Rogers did not buy the Dome from the taxpayers. Also ... they did spend 500mil to build it but it was always going to be a depreciating asset (like a car) since the gov was never going to sell the land that it sat on.
    I realize it was sold once before to a consortium, for I thought 50 million, probably I was wrong on the price. I know Rogers was the 2nd buyer for 25 million. I also didn't realize that the government still owns the land. Perhaps its not AS bad a deal as I thought it was. I apologize to anyone involved in the deal who may have read my unfair implication.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I would just like to point out that if the attendance at the East Final played in the decision of MLSE's purchase of the Argos, then Hoagie deserves hero status for issuing the challenge. I know I accepted it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I would just like to point out that if the attendance at the East Final played in the decision of MLSE's purchase of the Argos, then Hoagie deserves hero status for issuing the challenge. I know I accepted it.
    What was the challenge? For fans to show up? If so, I also accepted it, and drove down from Ottawa in the morning, and drove back up after the game. And people in Toronto complain that its just too hard to get to a game...lol.*

*Just kidding, it was hard to get to those Tuesday night games after work, with kids etc. But with a schedule full of mostly Saturday games, that excuse is gone for most people.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    To be specific, the challenge was for Argo fans who are already going to bring as many extra people to the game as possible. You also deserve hero status driving from Ottawa! You should start a #whatsyourexcuse campaign on Twitter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    To be specific, the challenge was for Argo fans who are already going to bring as many extra people to the game as possible. You also deserve hero status driving from Ottawa! You should start a #whatsyourexcuse campaign on Twitter.
    It was my first game at BMO. I really enjoyed the energy of the place. It was worth the drive. If I could afford the gas, I would do it every weekend game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    It was my first game at BMO. I really enjoyed the energy of the place. It was worth the drive. If I could afford the gas, I would do it every weekend game.
    You picked a great time for your first time there. The energy is very good even with 13-14k in the building. I love the fact that the Argos are there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You picked a great time for your first time there. The energy is very good even with 13-14k in the building. I love the fact that the Argos are there.
    I noticed that, just watching on TV. On TSN facebook, the trolls were going on about how TSN pumps crowd onto the broadcasts. I almost believed it. But the place is LOUD. I can imagine how even 13K sounds loud on TV. 24K sounded like 50. I never experienced that energy at Skydome, even at 35K games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    There's a promo airing on Sportsnet as of late to let people know that Bob signed an extension. during this promo, Bob admits to building a character so that his numbers would rise and people would listen. Arash is a CFL fan, but like Bob, I think says things just to get clicks and people talking about what he says. Shannon and Brunt are also well known CFL fans. Well Brunt is a Ticats fan, and Shannon is an Argos/CFL fan. Cox says he is, but I doubt it. Reminds me of when Lang stated Brady was a Ticats fan.

What I'd like to know is, how did the Argos go from losing $10 million to $12 million since McCown returned ?
    I don't necessarily expect those in the media to be fans but to be objective and cover a team and league that gets as many viewers as it does in this market and an appreciation for the athletes that compete in the sport.

I don't buy the team is losing $10 millìon. Maybe $5 million.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I noticed that, just watching on TV. On TSN facebook, the trolls were going on about how TSN pumps crowd onto the broadcasts. I almost believed it. But the place is LOUD. I can imagine how even 13K sounds loud on TV. 24K sounded like 50. I never experienced that energy at Skydome, even at 35K games.
    The metal bleachers definitely help with that, it's funny when there's 12k people there and cameras are rumbling when we're on D and it sounds/feels like there's 40,000 people there. One of the best things about BMO for me, it wouldn't be the same if it was a fully concrete stadium

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    The metal bleachers definitely help with that, it's funny when there's 12k people there and cameras are rumbling when we're on D and it sounds/feels like there's 40,000 people there. One of the best things about BMO for me, it wouldn't be the same if it was a fully concrete stadium
    I guess it helps that whatever Argo fans there are, we are the most passionate at any Toronto pro sport games. I would say TFC are passionate too, but I really think they are passionate for the sake of being passionate, if that makes sense. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm going to say that many TFC fans are acting that way, to emulate being a European soccer fan, for the sake of being that way. Not sure that makes sense, and I'm sure there are many genuinely passionate TFC fans, but I just get that feeling about them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I realize it was sold once before to a consortium, for I thought 50 million, probably I was wrong on the price. I know Rogers was the 2nd buyer for 25 million. I also didn't realize that the government still owns the land. Perhaps its not AS bad a deal as I thought it was. I apologize to anyone involved in the deal who may have read my unfair implication.
    Looked it up, here's a USA Today clip

Servicing the debt cost far more than the stadium's revenue each year, and the deficit continued to rise to more than $400 million (Canadian). When the Ontario government decided to pay off the entire debt in 1994, it then sold SkyDome to a group of businesses for $151 million.
    After the stadium group filed for bankruptcy in 1998, Sky Dome was purchased for $85 million by Sportsco International.
    Rogers Communications, owners of the Blue Jays, bought the stadium for $25 million — less than 1/20th of the cost to build it — in 2004 and changed its name.