Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Prime Time Sports - December 15 - 5pm (Start at 36:45)
    December 15 2017

Friday, 5 pm: It's the Friday roundtable with McCown, Damien Cox, John Shannon, and Arash Madani!
    This was not a very good segment. Same old BS from the same group of jackasses. They struggle to understand why Rogers bouğht into Argos. That they lose $12 million now (impossible) and that they can never be profitable. Shannon was the biggest moron. They have zero vision. Now that MLSE can run this team there is no reason why the stadium can't be full, corporate interest rises substantially, TV revenues increase, ancillary revenues increase. I would be surprised that if in 2 years the Argos aren't adding profits to their bottom line. Their player costs and admin costs are fixed. The only variable cost is how much marketing and game day expenses do you want to have.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Shannon also assured us that the Leafs had already made a deal with Vancouver for Luongo during the last NHL strike. He is a completely disconnected sycophantic has been. His only purpose in life is to run errands for McCown. Don't give a second thought to anything that he says.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    This was not a very good segment. Same old BS from the same group of jackasses. They struggle to understand why Rogers bouğht into Argos. That they lose $12 million now (impossible) and that they can never be profitable. Shannon was the biggest moron. They have zero vision. Now that MLSE can run this team there is no reason why the stadium can't be full, corporate interest rises substantially, TV revenues increase, ancillary revenues increase. I would be surprised that if in 2 years the Argos aren't adding profits to their bottom line. Their player costs and admin costs are fixed. The only variable cost is how much marketing and game day expenses do you want to have.
    The 6pm hour with Brian Cooper is a much better segment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    John Shannon, former TV exec and all around know nothing blowhard.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Prime Time Sports - December 15 - 5pm (Start at 36:45)
    December 15 2017

Friday, 5 pm: It's the Friday roundtable with McCown, Damien Cox, John Shannon, and Arash Madani!
    Talk about a foursome of Aholes made for each other.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Football operations does have some cost variable, mosltly based on how aggressive a team is with its scouting and free-agent camps plus how many players are carried on their injured list. For example Winnipeg had $11,731,700 in football operations expenses in 2016 compared to $11,409,630 the year before.

While a signifcant amount of the administrative expenses for the Argos will be eliminatined with the team being rolled into the overall MLSE operation the interesting aspect of this will be the marketing campaign and the cost vs reward part of it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's too bad this is going to be the attitude towards the Argos by the most listened to sports show. Where they can't understand why Rogers bought in Now, I can't understand why they didn't buy in 2 years ago. The Argos can be profitable if managed coŕrectly. They are the most successful CFL team over the last 27 years with 6 championships and the media in Toronto need to be ashamed of themselves. The team needs to win, fill BMO FIELD and continue to win the hearts of the city so those that choose to ignore them expose themselves for what they are. I honestly don't know what is not to like about the team or the league that gives us championships that are more often than not great games.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    Think some those guys pick an amount out of thin air and make it look as bad as possible--once a jerk always a jerk.

Talking about media, hope people got a chance to see the show "Gridiron:Undergound" on PBS last night. It is a hugely positive documentary about African-American athletes and the CFL and Canada. It made one feel proud to be a fan of the league and to be a Canadian. This was a show that needs to get wide distribution. I understand it was made in 2014 but I'd never seen it before. Great show.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    It's too bad this is going to be the attitude towards the Argos by the most listened to sports show. Where they can't understand why Rogers bought in Now, I can't understand why they didn't buy in 2 years ago. The Argos can be profitable if managed coŕrectly. They are the most successful CFL team over the last 27 years with 6 championships and the media in Toronto need to be ashamed of themselves. The team needs to win, fill BMO FIELD and continue to win the hearts of the city so those that choose to ignore them expose themselves for what they are. I honestly don't know what is not to like about the team or the league that gives us championships that are more often than not great games.
    I agree with the overall sentiment of this post but I don't think Argo profitability is much at issue here. No one wants to lose money, obviously, and MLSE will focus on at least breaking even. But a million or two profit or loss on basic operations is not going to move the needle with a conglomerate the size of Rogers.

What they're after is a seat at the table when CFL television rights are renegotiated in 2021 and the hedge this gives them if Blue Jay content disappears. More ambitiously, there's also the TSN stranglehold on NFL rights to think about. A small move on the chessboard brings them closer to snagging some of this content.

What I find astonishing is that Bob McCown, greatest sports mind of his generation, can't seem to figure this out. He is so utterly and unshakably focused on the Argos as failure in Toronto that he can't understand the larger economics of gridiron across the country.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I agree with the overall sentiment of this post but I don't think Argo profitability is much at issue here. No one wants to lose money, obviously, and MLSE will focus on at least breaking even. But a million or two profit or loss on basic operations is not going to move the needle with a conglomerate the size of Rogers.

What they're after is a seat at the table when CFL television rights are renegotiated in 2021 and the hedge this gives them if Blue Jay content disappears. More ambitiously, there's also the TSN stranglehold on NFL rights to think about. A small move on the chessboard brings them closer to snagging some of this content.

What I find astonishing is that Bob McCown, greatest sports mind of his generation, can't seem to figure this out. He is so utterly and unshakably focused on the Argos as failure in Toronto that he can't understand the larger economics of gridiron across the country.
    or he refuses to see the larger picture.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I give McCown a break since he admits his whole shtick is an act to keep his numbers up and to keep him in green.

I always liked it when he first started the "act" ... that Shakey Hunt would always cut him off and say something like "Oh just stop it Robert ... you love the CFL and everyone knows it." lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I give McCown a break since he admits his whole shtick is an act to keep his numbers up and to keep him in green.

I always liked it when he first started the "act" ... that Shakey Hunt would always cut him off and say something like "Oh just stop it Robert ... you love the CFL and everyone knows it." lol
    You may be right but he plays a dangerous game. With friends like that who needs enemies.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    MLSE used to be known as Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd., with Harold Ballard owning majority shares and was the former owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from 1978 to 1988. Harold hated the Argos. How ironic that his company now owns the team!
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    the media in Toronto need to be ashamed of themselves. I honestly don't know what is not to like about the team or the league that gives us championships that are more often than not great games.
    Never a truer word been said

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Talk about a foursome of Aholes made for each other.
    I find Arash's attitude really curious because he is on the Sportscage (620 CKRM Regina) twice a week and he talks a lot of CFL with the host Rod Pedersen. He does take shots at the CFL (when warranted) but I would love to ask him why he is one way in Western Canada and takes a 180 when he is on Sportsnet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:

Level
    After reading the opinions on this forum about the PTS segment I am going to give myself an early Christmas present and not listen to those arrogant duffueses.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    He does take shots at the CFL (when warranted) but I would love to ask him why he is one way in Western Canada and takes a 180 when he is on Sportsnet.:
    On the Art Briles story:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I find Arash's attitude really curious because he is on the Sportscage (620 CKRM Regina) twice a week and he talks a lot of CFL with the host Rod Pedersen. He does take shots at the CFL (when warranted) but I would love to ask him why he is one way in Western Canada and takes a 180 when he is on Sportsnet.
    Interesting, maybe he changes his tune depending on the hosts views so he’ll be invited back?
    Lowers his credibility even more IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good question. I guess the Western Canada statements are see more as regional so he plays nice.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    There's a promo airing on Sportsnet as of late to let people know that Bob signed an extension. during this promo, Bob admits to building a character so that his numbers would rise and people would listen. Arash is a CFL fan, but like Bob, I think says things just to get clicks and people talking about what he says. Shannon and Brunt are also well known CFL fans. Well Brunt is a Ticats fan, and Shannon is an Argos/CFL fan. Cox says he is, but I doubt it. Reminds me of when Lang stated Brady was a Ticats fan.

What I'd like to know is, how did the Argos go from losing $10 million to $12 million since McCown returned ?