Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
It's too bad this is going to be the attitude towards the Argos by the most listened to sports show. Where they can't understand why Rogers bought in Now, I can't understand why they didn't buy in 2 years ago. The Argos can be profitable if managed coŕrectly. They are the most successful CFL team over the last 27 years with 6 championships and the media in Toronto need to be ashamed of themselves. The team needs to win, fill BMO FIELD and continue to win the hearts of the city so those that choose to ignore them expose themselves for what they are. I honestly don't know what is not to like about the team or the league that gives us championships that are more often than not great games.
I agree with the overall sentiment of this post but I don't think Argo profitability is much at issue here. No one wants to lose money, obviously, and MLSE will focus on at least breaking even. But a million or two profit or loss on basic operations is not going to move the needle with a conglomerate the size of Rogers.

What they're after is a seat at the table when CFL television rights are renegotiated in 2021 and the hedge this gives them if Blue Jay content disappears. More ambitiously, there's also the TSN stranglehold on NFL rights to think about. A small move on the chessboard brings them closer to snagging some of this content.

What I find astonishing is that Bob McCown, greatest sports mind of his generation, can't seem to figure this out. He is so utterly and unshakably focused on the Argos as failure in Toronto that he can't understand the larger economics of gridiron across the country.