Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Damien Cox is a jackass. He specifically says don't expect there to be any Argo/CFL talk on this show (PTS) just because we own them. That's not how it works. We have been talking more soccer because there is a legitimate interest level.

What the hell. Argos have interest and viewership and that was amplified during the last 2 months of the season. But in his selective mind interest in the Argos doesn't count.

I hope his bosses tell him. You know what Damien the Argos are GC champs, 20,000 go to BMO Field to watch them and they draw 500,000 viewers on TV. We want you to have meaningful discussion about the goings on of this team on this show. If you don't want to do that don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
    Cox is a douche, no doubt about it, as are a few other people on that station. To me, it's not as important that the Argos get tons of coverage on 590 as it is that their radio guys stop bashing the Argos and the league. To me, the negative slants they put on things are very damaging, and can be counter productive to anything the marketing department tries to do.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    AV is making peace with Rogers with his new signature.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Great news for the Argos, but this could be bad for the CFL.
    How will the league tolerate having one team with owners with really deep pockets compared to the rest.
    Just because Ottawa and Sask are doing well now, there was a time when both were not. Hamilton, Montreal same thing and BC is playing in front of friends and family.

For the team, I imagine an expansion of the Kia training ground will occur, to give the argos a permanent structure, rather than the don Bosco idea.

The issue with BMO is it will have to be expanded for the world cup. Until then I don't think we will see much of a difference in our in stadium experience.

On a sad note a lot of people may have just lost their jobs, if the argos are fully combining with the mlse empire,

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Wow! It finally happened. Small hints were making the rounds and McCown starting to talk the Argos again lately. It will be difficult for Cox, Blair and Brunt to get their attitude adjustment. But it will be like any other business. When the Boss likes something all the underlings will suddenly like it too, or retire. Hello Bobcat.

Where does this leave Copeland, still in command or a Shanahan type figure hired.

Wonder how soon the Leaf ticket increases will have a bonus deduction if you buy Argo tickets as well.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    And soon to come - graduated pricing - where the ticket prices vary higher & lower based on the team we are facing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting.

Didn\'t know the Argos were up for sale? Why were they ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    yes, net result just selling part of the team to rogers.
    Probably makes logistics, ticketing, etc easier.

FYI: rogers is looking at selling its sports assets - Jays and MLSE stake. Bell probably has rights to buy rogers share, so 3 years from now its will be just LT & Bell owning MLSE. Rogers needs cash badly to upgrade its network to make its comparable to huge $$$ Bell/Telus spent on their networks.
    Rogers said today that they're not selling the Jays.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Great news!

It's already been widely described how this will help the team so I won't repeat. But I would add that this is a very canny move by Rogers in the end game of its broadcast battle with Bell. If they are planning to sell the Jays it gives them a pawn to position for future rights and to trade off baseball content from a position of strength.

For a buy-in of, what, $2 or $3 million off the two year-old sale to Braley they've made themselves relevant in the contest for the 2022 CFL rights. They've got intervening time to take a modest loss on the Argos and turn it into a modest profit. With MLSE synergies that should easily be doable. This makes a helluva a lot more sense than being a 100% owner in a MLB team where $200 million dollar payrolls are necessary to compete.

TSN owns the CFL? As of this afternoon, that's no longer quite true. (Angelo's signature should be proof of that! Ha ha.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    LOL. I guess I could have kept the old one up for another month or so, but in case of a double cross, it's still in storage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Great news for the Argos, but this could be bad for the CFL.
    How will the league tolerate having one team with owners with really deep pockets compared to the rest.
    Just because Ottawa and Sask are doing well now, there was a time when both were not. Hamilton, Montreal same thing and BC is playing in front of friends and family.

For the team, I imagine an expansion of the Kia training ground will occur, to give the argos a permanent structure, rather than the don Bosco idea.

The issue with BMO is it will have to be expanded for the world cup. Until then I don't think we will see much of a difference in our in stadium experience.

On a sad note a lot of people may have just lost their jobs, if the argos are fully combining with the mlse empire,
    The fact that the league has a REAL salary cap makes wealth of the owners irrelevant other than to provide stability. It's not like they can do as they do with their soccer club and spend 25% more on salaries than the 2nd highest payroll in the league, and 100+% more compare to the majority of the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Zic's thoughts on the sale
    http://torontosun.com/sports/footbal...-buy-argonauts

Naylor discussing Trevor Harris Deal, Schooners, and MLSE - TSN 1290
    https://soundcloud.com/afternoonride...or-dec-13-2017

Financial Post on Argos to MLSE.
    http://business.financialpost.com/te...-the-blue-jays

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    LOL. I had the same thought Ravi.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    From the promotional end of it and hopefully less bias in the media, I like this move. I really don't like Rogers though but at least it will seem like less infighting now that they are part of the MLSE. Maybe the Argos will finally be accepted and not treated as someone's weird cousin in the sporting landscape.

Boatman
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Brad Fay and Damien Cox.
    Right, thanks. Have to admit I don't pay a lot of attention to who's who driving home.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos corporate structure now more similar to Calgary Stampeders structure. With similar resources, you'd expect that the off field issues should diminish over time. Should we look for a similar management structure, with Rogers involvement, to take over the BC Lions from David Braley and solve the other weak link in the CFL?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is good news as it eliminates the one insurmountable problem the Argos had, which was antipathy from the other big broadcast conglomerate. Richard Peddie always said that the Argos under MLSE could make $1M a year in profit. In his view, that was not enough to justify adding the team to the MLSE fold because they could make as much profit from two big concerts. Obviously the current MLSE leadership has determined either that the $1M estimate was too low, or that it's silly to turn your back on $1M in annual profit from any source.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This is huge news, like I’m almost in disbelief. Has anyone (honestly) had a month of Argo fandom that even comes close to what’s happened in the last 30 days?

I’ll admit I was very happy with the Kilmer / BCE purchase and move to BMO Field but I think this is the icing on the cake in terms of having solid ownership, combined with removing one of the 2 media empires from its negative position, and having the franchise constantly battling to overcome it.

I’m so interested in how coverage of next season will go now, guess we will see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is good news as it eliminates the one insurmountable problem the Argos had, which was antipathy from the other big broadcast conglomerate. Richard Peddie always said that the Argos under MLSE could make $1M a year in profit. In his view, that was not enough to justify adding the team to the MLSE fold because they could make as much profit from two big concerts. Obviously the current MLSE leadership has determined either that the $1M estimate was too low, or that it's silly to turn your back on $1M in annual profit from any source.
    Whether it's a million or not, there are certain synergistic boosts which come from increasing the number of advertising platforms your group has. The cross advertising and marketing is a multiplier. And eventually, (post 2021), it will include the SN platforms and be a content vehicle.
    Once the NFL dream died, this is the no-brainer of all no-brainers.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Cox is a douche, no doubt about it, as are a few other people on that station. To me, it's not as important that the Argos get tons of coverage on 590 as it is that their radio guys stop bashing the Argos and the league. To me, the negative slants they put on things are very damaging, and can be counter productive to anything the marketing department tries to do.
    This is how I see it as well, 590 has always bashed the Argos as minor league and irrelevant.
    This acquisition should alleviate this which in itself will be of huge benefit, add the fact that the Argonauts now have the full MLSE marketing machine behind them will be huge.
    Flew out of terminal 1 at Pearson the other day and the store had full Maple Leaf, Blue Jay and TFC gear available and zero Argo presence.
    Things like this will certainly change moving forward which in itself will bring the Argo brand to the forefront.
    Obviously this has been in the works for a while but I can’t help but think the increased market interest late in the season and subsequent World Championship sealed the deal.
    Hopefully sustained attendance increases are on he way, this team deserves it!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I've read slants on Twitter from negative people saying where it will increase corporate ticket sales, it may not mean more butts In seats. I guess they think there will be a lot of no shows. I look at it this way: If the seats are sold, someone will use them. I'll take it a step further and say that corporates that aren't used by the people that have paid for them, will likely end up in the hands of a younger generation of fans that get these tickets as a charitable gesture. Boys and girls clubs, minor sports leagues etc. This is another good thing. I've been to Raptors games. No one can tell me that a majority of those sitting in the corporate seats aren't their on someone else's dime. It will eventualy be the same for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    IIRC, the one million dollar number was when the Argos were still playing at the dome, no mention of the potential profits playing in BMO.