Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've read slants on Twitter from negative people saying where it will increase corporate ticket sales, it may not mean more butts In seats. I guess they think there will be a lot of no shows. I look at it this way: If the seats are sold, someone will use them. I'll take it a step further and say that corporates that aren't used by the people that have paid for them, will likely end up in the hands of a younger generation of fans that get these tickets as a charitable gesture. Boys and girls clubs, minor sports leagues etc. This is another good thing. I've been to Raptors games. No one can tell me that a majority of those sitting in the corporate seats aren't their on someone else's dime. It will eventualy be the same for the Argos.
    TFC games on Wednesday "sell" well, but a lot of empty seats. I imagine that the Argos corporate sponsorship will rise significantly within a couple of years as Brain Cooper stated, and corporate ticket sales will rise as well, whether we see an influx of bums in seats is another matter though IMO.

In either case, some synergies are coming the Argos way, I imagine that the Argos business operations will take place in MLSE from now on, and could see the official change starting in 2019, which most likely means that a lot of people will be losing their jobs (Copeland or someone else will still be the President though). Argos won't have to lease out an office, so more savings there. The team can now cross promote with the Leafs, Raps, TFC, Marlies, etc. Rogers should they choose can start promoting the team through there media outlets. Overall I think this is a good move, actually I love it - Rogers becomes one less hurdle for the Argonauts to climb.

New Fan
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Level
    Excellent news for the league. Congrats!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    TFC games on Wednesday "sell" well, but a lot of empty seats. I imagine that the Argos corporate sponsorship will rise significantly within a couple of years as Brain Cooper stated, and corporate ticket sales will rise as well, whether we see an influx of bums in seats is another matter though IMO.

In either case, some synergies are coming the Argos way, I imagine that the Argos business operations will take place in MLSE from now on, and could see the official change starting in 2019, which most likely means that a lot of people will be losing their jobs (Copeland or someone else will still be the President though). Argos won't have to lease out an office, so more savings there. The team can now cross promote with the Leafs, Raps, TFC, Marlies, etc. Rogers should they choose can start promoting the team through

Funny as I went to see the Raptors a few weeks ago and was doing that same exercise from the upper bowl, wondering how all these people afforded these seats at a few hundred a pop in the lower bowl, but as already mentioned, a lot of these are corporate seats and they get passed around and down the chain so to speak. While they can sit empty, they can also expose people who otherwise may never attend at all, so there is a good and bad to it.Regardless as much as we may hate to admit it, beggars can’t be choosers and the team currently has more than enough capacity for more ticket sales – we can start worrying about “no shows” when and if the time comes.
    there media outlets. Overall I think this is a good move, actually I love it - Rogers becomes one less hurdle for the Argonauts to climb.[/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pinball's thoughts on MLSE purchase and "12 days of giving".
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/sportsne...-grey-cup-win/

2 days 4 different Argo related segments, I wonder how Bobcat feels about all this ?

New Fan
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is good news as it eliminates the one insurmountable problem the Argos had, which was antipathy from the other big broadcast conglomerate. Richard Peddie always said that the Argos under MLSE could make $1M a year in profit. In his view, that was not enough to justify adding the team to the MLSE fold because they could make as much profit from two big concerts. Obviously the current MLSE leadership has determined either that the $1M estimate was too low, or that it's silly to turn your back on $1M in annual profit from any source.
    Paul, is correct on this statement. Recall how Fan 590 Prime Time would use Peddie statements all the time on why MLSE would never buy the Argos, but would never quote the part about turning a 1 million profit if they did.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    This is good news as it eliminates the one insurmountable problem the Argos had, which was antipathy from the other big broadcast conglomerate. Richard Peddie always said that the Argos under MLSE could make $1M a year in profit. In his view, that was not enough to justify adding the team to the MLSE fold because they could make as much profit from two big concerts. Obviously the current MLSE leadership has determined either that the $1M estimate was too low, or that it's silly to turn your back on $1M in annual profit from any source.
    MLSE had already looked at buying the Argos three times when Peddie made that comment and that was before the big TV contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    MLSE had already looked at buying the Argos three times when Peddie made that comment and that was before the big TV contract.
    It was before the current contract, yes. But when they looked at buying the Argos, Peddie himself was in charge of MLSE -- so he was the one doing the looking. He wrote about this in his book. What never made sense to me was that it was not a zero-sum game, i.e. $1M in profit from Argos OR $1M in profit from two concerts. MLSE could have had both, and voila, $2M.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    If they can change the perception in Toronto (and I believe they can) now that much of the former hostility will likely vanish, some pretty good things can happen. Ambrosie has big dreams for the league far beyond what most of us are considering and they are well within the realms of possibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Pinball's thoughts on MLSE purchase and "12 days of giving".
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/sportsne...-grey-cup-win/

2 days 4 different Argo related segments, I wonder how Bobcat feels about all this ?
    But Cox said that just because Rogers owns them doesn't mean there is going to be extra Argo talk! Bob will change his tune. He claims to be of free will, but he will tow the company line. It's just easier. Besides, his grudges towards the CFL and the Argos are with people that are not even involved anymore and his new buddies now own the team.

Sportsnet would have their program announcer come on and remark "that's enough CFL talk" whenever 590 talked CFL for 5 minutes. It was an attempt at humour by belittling the league like Rogers always did. What's the chances we hear that clip now? Rogers doesn't even have to send out a memo/mandate. Whoever is responsible for playing the clip knows not to do it now that they own the Argos. Completely different ball game and rules now for everyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    They talked about this on 590 on the drive home and basically acknowledged their own negativity in the past as they started to soften their position before our eyes. It was Broadhead and Cox IIRC.
    Holy crap is this true?? My god. This is what has happened to journalism in the last 20 years. Its pretty pathetic. No wonder why everyone is on about fake news. Its all about what your organization favors, not about what's actually news.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    590 used to be a great place for Argonauts news. It will gradually improve, that's a guarantee.
    The last time I remember that, was when Jim Hunt was there. RIP Shakey, you were the best. He was objective at least. Yes he loved the CFL, but he would point out their flaws when warranted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You have to wonder about people who turn their back on $1 million in profits. I never did like Richard Peddie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    You have to wonder about people who turn their back on $1 million in profits. I never did like Richard Peddie.
    He is obviously a king BSer. Was president of skydome originally and no doubt helped contribute to the fact that is was so devalued that Rogers was able to step in and steal it. He then somehow managed to parlay that into a job that is 100% fool proof, a licence to print money, and retires with some sort of legacy as a great businessman. What a crazy world.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    He is obviously a king BSer. Was president of skydome originally and no doubt helped contribute to the fact that is was so devalued that Rogers was able to step in and steal it. He then somehow managed to parlay that into a job that is 100% fool proof, a licence to print money, and retires with some sort of legacy as a great businessman. What a crazy world.
    Oh was that our tax payer funded 500 million that was bought for 50 million or whatever it was? Was that Peddie behind the scenes on that one? Why am I not surprised. Wasn't he also the one who thought he knew what was best for running a hockey team, I mean on the day to day ? How did that work out? Well I'm sure he's consoled by whatever amount he made from his shady dealings. What a crazy world indeed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Oh was that our tax payer funded 500 million that was bought for 50 million or whatever it was? Was that Peddie behind the scenes on that one? Why am I not surprised. Wasn't he also the one who thought he knew what was best for running a hockey team, I mean on the day to day ? How did that work out? Well I'm sure he's consoled by whatever amount he made from his shady dealings. What a crazy world indeed.
    Your implication is unfair. Rogers did not buy the Dome from the taxpayers. Also ... they did spend 500mil to build it but it was always going to be a depreciating asset (like a car) since the gov was never going to sell the land that it sat on.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    This is on the frontpage of the Sportsnet website, so things are a changin'. Maybe when they get CFL out of the "More" category can we see true change in their attitude.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes our taxpayers dome was one giant scam from the time it was built and cost north of $600M and I have read some reports a while ago it was rumoured to be close to $1B.
    Meanwhile, the most recent sale to Rogers at $25M.
    Tell me that both of these events are not worthy of an independent investigation by someone, like the same Pam Scam Games should be.

New Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I am not even sure it was Rogers who came to the table on this, I would be very surprised if any real money changed hands on this. We don't know if it was Bell/Larry who made a concession or some sorts to Rogers bring the team within the MLSE infrastructure that has nothing to do with sports, access to a fiber optic network, ownership of a radio station in Red Deer. It will be interesting to see if the real story on this deal comes out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Yes our taxpayers dome was one giant scam from the time it was built and cost north of $600M and I have read some reports a while ago it was rumoured to be close to $1B.
    Meanwhile, the most recent sale to Rogers at $25M.
    Tell me that both of these events are not worthy of an independent investigation by someone, like the same Pam Scam Games should be.
    Investigate what? You do know that the taxpayers still own the real value of that property and it's worth a sh*tload and only getting bigger and bigger.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I am not even sure it was Rogers who came to the table on this, I would be very surprised if any real money changed hands on this. We don't know if it was Bell/Larry who made a concession or some sorts to Rogers bring the team within the MLSE infrastructure that has nothing to do with sports, access to a fiber optic network, ownership of a radio station in Red Deer. It will be interesting to see if the real story on this deal comes out.
    Prime Time Sports - December 15 - 5pm (Start at 36:45)
    December 15 2017

Friday, 5 pm: It's the Friday roundtable with McCown, Damien Cox, John Shannon, and Arash Madani!