Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Laval's QB Hugo Richard - great passing stats, good size & mobile; led his team to 2 straight National title games = should be some sort of measuring stick to see if CFL G ... er, decision makers, have any real interest in giving Canadian QBs a shot to compete for roster spots. Will he be drafted or even get a FA invite to compete?

There's some other good young Canadian QBs as potential CFL QB prospects for down the road : Michael O'Connor (UBC - already won a Vanier, recruited to Div I Penn State); Chris Merchant (won a Vanier this season; also formerly on a US college ball team; size, arm & mobility); and Nathan Rourke - starting at Div I Ohio and led them to wins, plus put up good stats - especially as a running QB.

Proof is in the pudding. CFL thinkers can show they are open to Canadian QBs getting a real look for a change - by drafting or singing some of these young Canuck QBs for a real shot - and not handing them roster spots for the sake of flag-waving - but just honest shots to compete in a CFL TC with teams in need of QB competition (think for example, Montreal or Winnipeg or Ottawa or Edmonton now - who do they have as 2nd thru 3rd stringers or even a 4th QB for TC?).

CFL talking heads like Sunderland can yak all they want with platitudes. Show me some real proof. And Sunderland might have grasped and pointed out that his RedBlacks CFL GC winning team was actually starting/playing more like 10 to 12 Nationals when it counted in that GC season - in the play-offs and the GC. Ottawa reverted to standard 7 only need apply CFL form last season - and got smoked in the play-off game.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Old article but inspiring

Canadian QB wants shot in the CFL
    Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun April 27, 2014

Myles Gibbon doesn't know if he'll be the quarterback who changes the way things work in the CFL.

But as a Canadian quarterback in a league that for a long time has used Americans at the position, he would like nothing better than to get a shot.

Gibbon, who starred at York University, was on hand for the Ottawa RedBlacks open tryout camp on Sunday.

“I'd love to play football,” he said. “That's why I came out today, hopefully get a chance to throw in front of some coaches and impress them. I'm going to give it all I can. If not, I plan on coaching quarterbacks. I'll make sure the guy I'm coaching is able to play with these kids. Eventually there'll be Canadian quarterbacks in the CFL. If it doesn't start with me, it'll start with someone.