Reply to Thread
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

The Canadian QB Thread

Something that in the past few decades was almost unthinkable is quickly approaching reality. We seem to be seeing more and more stories of Canadians playing and excelling at the QB position that the subject merits its own catch all thread. There is probably a thread already at argofans but damned if I can find it. If so we can move this thread there.
    Last edited by rdavies; 12-18-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Eskimos general manager shares views on Canadian quarterbacks and the ratio
    3Down Staff 3downnation.com December 18, 2017

Brock Sunderland has been forthright in his first year as Eskimos general manager.

He kept that going when asked about Canadian quarterbacks counting towards the ratio.

“It’s trending that way. I would vote for it to be that way. If you have a Canadian quarterback he absolutely should count as a Canadian,” Sunderland told TSN 1260 in Edmonton.

“We had a scenario in 2006 in Montreal we had Jesse Palmer, he came up and Jim Popp and I were joking with him. We said we could literally start an entire offence of Canadian players. For me I don’t know why it wouldn’t be allowed, this is the Canadian Football League and if you can develop a quarterback it’s advantageous for the players, the fans, the league and everybody involved.”

With the possibility of an Atlantic franchise entering the league in the near future, Sunderland was asked about the current rule of having to start seven Canadians to comply with league stipulations.

“I know in Ottawa last year for the first three to four maybe even five weeks of the season we started nine. We just had the talent there so we went with it and it gave us a lot more opportunities if there was an injury. On the flip side, there is other teams and I’ve been with some teams where guys are propped up and they are starting,” Sunderland said.

“And what it does is it affects your cap because you’re playing a guy that really you don’t feel is a starter, but you have to pay him starter money because he is Canadian and there is a ratio affect. There’s good arguments on both sides. From the CFLPA perspective they’re going to protect their own and protect the investment of the Canadians, it is the CFL. Sometimes on our side we just want to play the best players no matter what, and a lot of times the Canadians are the best players, so it doesn’t matter anyway. But the reality is you are paying some Canadian players a little bit more because of the ratio, which makes sense.”

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Regina-born QB leads West Florida to impressive season
    3Down Staff 3downnation.com December 18, 2017

Regina is more than 3,300 kilometres away from the University of West Florida but despite the distance, there is a football connection.

Quarterback Mike Beaudry was born in the Queen City and moved to Orlando as a child (11 years old). He stood out in high school football in Florida and became the first player to sign with West Florida.

Beaudry broke his left fibula during spring practice in 2016 which caused him to miss the program’s inaugural season, but he returned in 2017 to assume the starting quarterback role. As a redshirt freshman, Beaudry started 14 games throwing for 3,215 yards, 29 touchdowns against 13 interceptions with a 55 per cent completion rate. He led the Argos to an 11-4 record and the NCAA Division II National Championship game, which the team lost.

Regardless the future seems bright for Beaudry. The six-foot-five, 240-pound QB has prototypical quarterback size. Beaudry is a dual citizen of Canada and the United States.

Prairie roots are close to his heart, he keeps track of the Riders, watches their games on ESPN and counts himself as a Brandon Bridge supporter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Laval's QB Hugo Richard - great passing stats, good size & mobile; led his team to 2 straight National title games = should be some sort of measuring stick to see if CFL G ... er, decision makers, have any real interest in giving Canadian QBs a shot to compete for roster spots. Will he be drafted or even get a FA invite to compete?

There's some other good young Canadian QBs as potential CFL QB prospects for down the road : Michael O'Connor (UBC - already won a Vanier, recruited to Div I Penn State); Chris Merchant (won a Vanier this season; also formerly on a US college ball team; size, arm & mobility); and Nathan Rourke - starting at Div I Ohio and led them to wins, plus put up good stats - especially as a running QB.

Proof is in the pudding. CFL thinkers can show they are open to Canadian QBs getting a real look for a change - by drafting or singing some of these young Canuck QBs for a real shot - and not handing them roster spots for the sake of flag-waving - but just honest shots to compete in a CFL TC with teams in need of QB competition (think for example, Montreal or Winnipeg or Ottawa or Edmonton now - who do they have as 2nd thru 3rd stringers or even a 4th QB for TC?).

CFL talking heads like Sunderland can yak all they want with platitudes. Show me some real proof. And Sunderland might have grasped and pointed out that his RedBlacks CFL GC winning team was actually starting/playing more like 10 to 12 Nationals when it counted in that GC season - in the play-offs and the GC. Ottawa reverted to standard 7 only need apply CFL form last season - and got smoked in the play-off game.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Old article but inspiring

Canadian QB wants shot in the CFL
    Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun April 27, 2014

Myles Gibbon doesn't know if he'll be the quarterback who changes the way things work in the CFL.

But as a Canadian quarterback in a league that for a long time has used Americans at the position, he would like nothing better than to get a shot.

Gibbon, who starred at York University, was on hand for the Ottawa RedBlacks open tryout camp on Sunday.

“I'd love to play football,” he said. “That's why I came out today, hopefully get a chance to throw in front of some coaches and impress them. I'm going to give it all I can. If not, I plan on coaching quarterbacks. I'll make sure the guy I'm coaching is able to play with these kids. Eventually there'll be Canadian quarterbacks in the CFL. If it doesn't start with me, it'll start with someone.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Regina Rams QB Noah Picton hopes myth of Canadian QB in CFL is slowly getting shattered
    Mitchell Blair 620 CKRM Regina September 19, 2017

The night before helping lead his Regina Rams to a victory over Alberta, Noah Picton like many others watched the performance of Riders QB Brandon Bridge with great interest.

Bridge became the first Canadian to start at quarterback for the Riders since 1977, and he became the first CFL quarterback in over 30 years to throw three touchdown passes in a game as the Riders beat the Ti-Cats 27-19 which is something Picton and many others noticed as the quest to get Canadian quarterbacks into the CFL continues.

The 2016 Hec Crighton Award winner as the most outstanding football player in the country is seen by many to be a longshot to make the CFL despite his eye-popping numbers which have continued through three games this season.

“I haven’t really given the CFL too much thought but, at the end of the day, if a team believed in you and actually gave you an opportunity to come out there and compete, then why wouldn’t you?” Picton said after the team’s win over Alberta in which he threw for 334 yards and two touchdowns.

Right now in the CFL, the only two Canadian quarterbacks are Bridge and Calgary Stampeders back-up Andrew Buckley. Picton says those two are paving the way for what he hopes is more.

“I had a chance to play against Buckley, and he’s one of the best pro players I’ve ever gone against,” Picton said. ” He’s one of those guys who is good enough to be there, so it’s no surprise that he’s making it. With them kind of leading the way, it’s opening the door for the rest of us.”

The Rams will be back on home turf Saturday afternoon against Manitoba in a 2 o’clock start as they look to improve to 2-1.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Hec Crighton Trophy winner Noah Picton is realistic about his future
    Noah Picton doesn't have any delusions of grandeur.
    Ian Hamilton, Regina Leader-Post November 25, 2016

Even though the University of Regina Rams quarterback has won the 2016 Hec Crighton Trophy as the top player in Canadian university football, he doesn’t expect it to earn him a shot in the CFL.

Some CFL teams seem more open to adding Canadian quarterbacks — Andrew Buckley (Calgary Stampeders) and Brandon Bridge (Saskatchewan Roughriders) cracked CFL rosters in 2016 — but Picton isn’t holding out hope.

“You win a trophy like this and it gets your name out there and gets you recognition,” he said from Hamilton, where he won the U Sports award Thursday. “Whether or not CFL teams take that seriously, that’s up to them. But that’s not my mindset.

“Andrew Buckley is the first (Canadian university) quarterback of this era to go to the CFL and he’s one of the best football players I’ve ever played against. I don’t know if (CFL teams) want a quarterback like me with average to below-average speed who’s 5-foot-9 and doesn’t have the physicality for it.

“This isn’t the type of thing where I think, ‘Oh, I’ve won the Hec. This is a fast-track lane to the CFL.’ My goal is to win a Vanier Cup and that’s what I’m focused on.”

Picton helped the Rams go from 0-8 in 2015 to 6-2 in 2016, when they finished atop the Canada West standings for the first time in their 18-year history as a university program.

The third-year pivot set a U Sports single-season record with 3,186 passing yards, breaking the previous mark of 3,162 set by Buckley with the 2015 Calgary Dinos.

Picton also led U Sports in touchdown passes (25) and completion percentage (69.3), set a Canada West record for completions in a season (224), and established a U of R single-season standard for pass attempts (323).

But despite going to training camp with the Roughriders in 2015 — a stint arranged through the CFL’s campaign to develop Canadian quarterbacks — and in spite of his award-winning 2016 season, Picton doesn’t have designs on landing in that league.

“My goal isn’t to play in the CFL,” said Picton, who has two seasons of U Sports eligibility remaining. “I understand it’s extremely difficult. No, my goal is to win a Vanier Cup.

“If anything, winning this award has enabled me to get a paid-for trip (to the 2016 Vanier Cup) to see what Laval is all about. I want to see what we’re hoping to play for next year.”

The Laval Rouge et Or is to face Calgary on Saturday at Tim Hortons Field with the U Sports title on the line. The Dinos won the Canada West title by beating the UBC Thunderbirds, who had bounced Regina in a semifinal.

If winning the Hec Crighton Trophy doesn’t give Picton hope of playing at the next level, it does give him hope that negative talk about his size will subside.

Other naysayers also could be silenced.

“People used to — and some even still — say I’m only playing quarterback because Dean Picton is my dad and he’s pulling strings …,” said Picton, whose father recently served as the team’s president. “Some people think I can’t play and that’s motivation for me to try to prove those guys wrong.

“Whether or not I’ve changed their minds with this award remains to be seen. But to be associated with this, it’s gratifying to know that those people don’t really know what they’re talking about.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Canadian QB Nathan Rourke to lead Ohio in a Bowl game tomorrow (on TSN 2).

Huge rushing stats this year, but also some decent passing stats.

Maybe the top Canadian QB to play US college ball since Jesse Palmer ?; Bridge started for 2 different teams down there, but maybe didn't accomplish as much as Rourke has in this one season.

Jerry Datillio, Eric Guthrie (Boise State - drafted by the 49ers), and Luc Tousignault (drafted by the Bills - in the same year U of T QB Dan Fereday got drafted by the Bengals - 2 Canadian QBs picked in the same NFL draft (! ?) = examples of some other Canadian QBs who did well in US college ball - and all of them saw some CFL playing time (except Palmer who was on the Als roster for a bit)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;121031]Canadian QB Nathan Rourke to lead Ohio in a Bowl game tomorrow (on TSN 2).

This game is today (Friday) at 12:30pm on TSN2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=argofandave;121036]
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Canadian QB Nathan Rourke to lead Ohio in a Bowl game tomorrow (on TSN 2).

This game is today (Friday) at 12:30pm on TSN2.

Yeah - I meant today; and I have been watching.

Ohio cruising to a big lead with lots of offence; Rourke looks like the real deal to me; big guy who can run (led the nation in TD runs by a QB) - and they do some option type stuff, which keeps the D guessing - and that sets up both some good ground game to the RBs and some passing; Rourke has thrown some nice strikes and looks smart & poised mostly.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Commissioner taking Canadian QB rule discussion to the CFLPA
    Justin Dunk 3downnation.com December 22, 2017

Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge and CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie met for 30 minutes on Monday and discussed the possibility of including quarterbacks as one of the required seven national starters.

“It actually went well. We really spoke about how we can actually approach it. One of the main things he asked me was: how did we get here in the first place? Why was the rule in this favour? He wants to address that,” Bridge said.

“He said he’s going to bring it up to the CFLPA. He’s really looking forward to attacking that situation. I felt that we actually made a couple strides and laid down a couple bricks to where we want to go. I really want to lay down that first step and that first brick for the younger generation so they don’t have to jump the same barriers that I had to do. Hopefully, at some point in time, the rule changes and gives these kids a fair opportunity.”

Under the current rules, CFL rosters are made up of a minimum of 21 nationals, a maximum of 20 internationals and three quarterbacks. Each team is also required to start seven nationals among their 23 offensive and defensive starters. But because quarterbacks have their own separate category, starting a national at the position does not count towards the seven nationals.

The issue would have to be addressed with the CFLPA because the roster make up is part of the collective bargaining agreement and the union would have to sign off on any changes.

Bridge’s play on the field has brought the issue to the forefront. The 25-year-old went 92-0f-138 for 1,236 yards with 10 touchdowns and four interceptions while leading the Riders to a pair of wins in 2017, both on the road. He sparked the Riders offence in the East Final, completing 11-of-21 passes for 141 yards and one touchdown in the team’s defeat. That TD toss was the first by a Canadian in a post-season game since Russ Jackson in the 1969 Grey Cup.

Ambrosie has been active in his first season as commissioner, acting quickly on issues such as replay. It seems like he’s willing to take the same proactive approach to changing the Canadian quarterback ratio rule.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Canadian QB Brandon Bridge leaves impression on NY Giants
    Justin Dunk 3downnation.com December 26, 2017

Fresh off a workout with the New York Giants, Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge signed his one-year contract extension in Saskatchewan.

But he did leave an impression on the Giants’ personnel men.

“Workout went well. I met with [interim head coach] Steve Spagnuolo and Kevin Abrams the [interim] GM. I felt like it was like the pro day again in college. All the guys were there and the quarterback coach was there as well and I just threw,” Bridge said.

“What they said to me is that they liked me, they said that they want to see a full year of me starting. They said I have the ability to play in the NFL, they just want to see that full year. They liked the flashes of what I did this past season with Saskatchewan. And they said they just want to see a full year of starting and see how I can keep on with that same trend as opposed to the highs and lows.”

Bridge started in Week 13 for the Riders in Hamilton and guided the team to a victory with 231 passing yards and three touchdowns. Two weeks later, the 25-year-old came off the bench to lead a comeback win against Toronto, finishing 20-of-28 for 292 yards and two touchdowns.

Overall, Bridge passed for 1,236 yards with a 66.6 completion percentage (92-of-138) and 10 touchdowns to just four interceptions while adding 20 carries for 127 yards and one touchdown on the ground. He sparked the Riders offence in the East Final, completing 11-of-21 passes for 141 yards and one touchdown in the team’s defeat. The TD toss was the first by a Canadian in a post-season game since Russ Jackson in the 1969 Grey Cup.

“It’s an opportunity,” Bridge said about working out for an NFL team. “Obviously, as a kid, you always want to be the best and the NFL is the best, it’s the highest level. So I wanted to challenge myself. Before that whole thing happened I even called coach Jones personally and asked him and he actually was encouraging. He said to go out and give it a shot and best of luck. He said if nothing happens we know that we want you and whatever you have on the table for us we’ll be waiting for you.”

The Giants believe Bridge is a good athlete with plenty of arm strength and velocity that will benefit from more starting experience in the CFL and further coaching to clean up his footwork and technique to help his accuracy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    With a managerial change happening with the Giants on Thursday, Bridge's workout may very well get lost in the shuffle.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    With a managerial change happening with the Giants on Thursday, Bridge's workout may very well get lost in the shuffle.
    Maybe not. Giants interim GM, Kevin Abrams, Toronto born and Western Ontario educated, appears to have been an expanded role on the team compared to his previous pre-interim GM job.

Tom Rock notes Giants Assistant GM Kevin Abrams, who served as interim GM after Jerry Reese was fired, appears to have "gained a more prominent role (if not title) in the front office." Abrams will be a part of the Giants' coaching search as they "continue their interviews
    http://www.giants.com/team/staff/kev...5-bd131e8c113d

As rdavies noted Brandon Bridge is quoted as saying:
    “Workout went well. I met with [interim head coach] Steve Spagnuolo and Kevin Abrams the [interim] GM. I felt like it was like the pro day again in college. All the guys were there and the quarterback coach was there as well and I just threw,” Bridge said.

“What they said to me is that they liked me, they said that they want to see a full year of me starting. They said I have the ability to play in the NFL, they just want to see that full year. They liked the flashes of what I did this past season with Saskatchewan. And they said they just want to see a full year of starting and see how I can keep on with that same trend as opposed to the highs and lows.”
    http://3downnation.com/2017/12/26/ca...-on-ny-giants/

With Abrams expanded role and Canadian connections, Bridge could well be looked at by the Giants in the future if he performs well as a starting QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Maybe not. Giants interim GM, Kevin Abrams, Toronto born and Western Ontario educated, appears to have been an expanded role on the team compared to his previous pre-interim GM job.

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/kev...5-bd131e8c113d

As rdavies noted Brandon Bridge is quoted as saying:

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/26/ca...-on-ny-giants/

With Abrams expanded role and Canadian connections, Bridge could well be looked at by the Giants in the future if he performs well as a starting QB.
    Cept that Bridge has re-signed with the Riders ... who then went out and got Collaros ... who unless he is really shot in terms of confidence or injury issues, will likely be the Riders starter ... and i bet Collaros can rebound to be a very good CFL QB again = Bridge may get little playing time there; as opposed to last season getting to come to the rescue of the ever mediocre Kevin Glenn. So much for the Giants theory there; and maybe Bridge's hopes ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Cept that Bridge has re-signed with the Riders ... who then went out and got Collaros ... who unless he is really shot in terms of confidence or injury issues, will likely be the Riders starter ... and i bet Collaros can rebound to be a very good CFL QB again = Bridge may get little playing time there; as opposed to last season getting to come to the rescue of the ever mediocre Kevin Glenn. So much for the Giants theory there; and maybe Bridge's hopes ?
    While I agree Collaros will be given the first chance to lead the Riders, Chris Jones is signalling that he won't be waiting half a season to see if he is getting the job done before switching to Bridge if things are not working out.

Brandon Bridge is an important part of the mix when it comes to the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ quarterbacking situation.
    That’s the word from head coach and general manager Chris Jones, who swung a blockbuster CFL deal Jan. 3 by acquiring 29-year-old signal-caller Zach Collaros from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
    Despite all the commotion over Collaros, Jones is quick to accentuate Bridge’s abilities.
    “Brandon Bridge is an awful strong talent — probably as talented a guy as there is in the league … size, height, weight, 40(-yard dash), arm strength, stuff like that,” Jones says. “I think it’s a good thing for him to be around a guy like Zach, too, who is going to come early, stay late, and hold guys accountable, hold himself accountable and raise his hand when he does something wrong. I think it’s going to be a good group there with the dynamic of those two guys. " ...
    "The best guy plays. That’s just the way it’s going to go. We’ve got two really dynamic young quarterbacks who I feel really strongly about and they bring something a little bit different to the table.”
    http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...b-is-wide-open

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Giants will likely look at drafting a QB before Bridge is ever given a chance with them. I have been thinking about this more and I can't see Bridge ending up in the NFL soon, if ever. The last CFL QB to jump immediately to a starting spot in the NFL was Dieter Brock in 1985 and only one, Jeff Garcia, went from a starting QB position in the CFL, which he did for three full seasons, to an NFL starting position in short order since Brock. That was back in 1999. Brock himself was a CFL starter for 11 seasons and Warren Moon for four before starting in the NFL. Henry Burris might be the best comparison to Bridge as he jumped to the NFL after only full season starting in 2000 - after three as a backup - and he ended up starting one NFL regular season game in his two full seasons there before coming back to Canada.

My point is that NFL teams have looked north of the border less and less over the years and I find it hard to believe that they would take Bridge anytime soon, given that he isn't even a top 10 CFL QB right now. He could become one in 2018 but the jury is very much out on that. I am also not saying that NFL teams shouldn't be looking north of the border for QBs - there is some atrocious QB play down there - but they simply don't these days. Bridge doesn't strike me as the quintessential NFL QB either. He likes to ad lib and NFL coaches don't like that; I think he is much better suited to the Canadian game.

Kevin Abrams brings a lot of Canadians in for look-sees but I can only think of one - Brett Jones - that has made that Giants roster. I have a hard time believing that Bridge will be in the NFL in 2019, regardless of how good of a season he has in the CFL in 2018.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force