Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
Is Willy worth a 1st? No. Did trading the 1st really set the team (or any team when doing such a trade) back? No.

Looking back at it now, if Ticats pulled the trigger on Argos deal, what appeared to be trading away 4 potential Canadian starters for Zach Collaros could've been way much more riskier to entire health of the roster. Not defending the trade, just trying to tackle this notion that the team's destiny/future relied solely on the one player taken 1st overall. Because that's what it seemed like. Another, the sky is falling knee jerk reaction. Some even tried proving the value of a 1st Rd pick and I wouldn't call the evidence very conclusive.
Yes I recall, as it was I who took the time to list the different drafts to illustrate the effectiveness of the CFL Draft. And yes, it was inconclusive, as I didn't conclude it. There was no sense in it as many of our esteemed board members here have already made up their minds on this topic.

I frankly am surprised that its such a debate. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I mean if you don't believe me, ask Jim Popp himself. The great thing about this league is that YOU CAN actually ask the guy!

I am curious, what do you consider the best, most important method of building a winning CFL Roster?

A) CFL Free Agency B) The CFL Draft C) Free Agent Camps, or signings D) Trades

CFL Teams know the importance of the CFL draft. They are pouring more and more time and money into national scouting every year. The Bombers tripled their spending in that department with the arrival of Kyle Walters' administration. The combines, the meetings, the scouting. I have never heard a GM say it wasn't an important talent stream like several have in regards to CFL Free Agency.

Today in the Ottawa Sun, a comment from their AGM Jeremy Snyder “You have to make finding Canadian talent a priority in this league,” Snyder said. “You can’t get those guys in free agency; you’re paying through the nose. You have to develop them. We’ve made it a priority”

And it goes without saying that if the draft is important, than the #1 pick has to kind of be important too.