Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Not applauded but trading a draft pick (in any trade) is not as catastrophic as some make it. I'm not talking about the trade itself but this belief that losing one draft pick will and can set a team back, especially when there are more import starters. Canadian talent is obviously key to this league but if you're able to acquire other pieces through CFL free agency (Finley), NFL cuts (Ball, Laing) picking up released players (Woods, C.Vaughn), free agent camps, trades (Edwards, Green, Franklin) and are able to make up a good roster, you can easily ease the "damage" caused by trading away the top pick.

I don't think anyone is saying how the team is set back by trading a top CDN prospect Mason Woods.
    Hmmm. Right. No one is complaining, like they were when they traded a 1st overall for Willy. Wonder why that is? I suggest the narrative is more that some hesitate to admit when they are wrong and look for ways to justify this into perpetuity. This is the only spot where I have read people attempting to justify the final mistakes of the Milo-Barker combo.

It is a unique place. Indeed.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Hmmm. Right. No one is complaining, like they were when they traded a 1st overall for Willy. Wonder why that is? I suggest the narrative is more that some hesitate to admit when they are wrong and look for ways to justify this into perpetuity. This is the only spot where I have read people attempting to justify the final mistakes of the Milo-Barker combo.

It is a unique place. Indeed.
    Is Willy worth a 1st? No. Did trading the 1st really set the team (or any team when doing such a trade) back? No.

Looking back at it now, if Ticats pulled the trigger on Argos deal, what appeared to be trading away 4 potential Canadian starters for Zach Collaros could've been way much more riskier to entire health of the roster. Not defending the trade, just trying to tackle this notion that the team's destiny/future relied solely on the one player taken 1st overall. Because that's what it seemed like. Another, the sky is falling knee jerk reaction. Some even tried proving the value of a 1st Rd pick and I wouldn't call the evidence very conclusive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Is Willy worth a 1st? No. Did trading the 1st really set the team (or any team when doing such a trade) back? No.

Looking back at it now, if Ticats pulled the trigger on Argos deal, what appeared to be trading away 4 potential Canadian starters for Zach Collaros could've been way much more riskier to entire health of the roster. Not defending the trade, just trying to tackle this notion that the team's destiny/future relied solely on the one player taken 1st overall. Because that's what it seemed like. Another, the sky is falling knee jerk reaction. Some even tried proving the value of a 1st Rd pick and I wouldn't call the evidence very conclusive.
    Yes I recall, as it was I who took the time to list the different drafts to illustrate the effectiveness of the CFL Draft. And yes, it was inconclusive, as I didn't conclude it. There was no sense in it as many of our esteemed board members here have already made up their minds on this topic.

I frankly am surprised that its such a debate. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I mean if you don't believe me, ask Jim Popp himself. The great thing about this league is that YOU CAN actually ask the guy!

I am curious, what do you consider the best, most important method of building a winning CFL Roster?

A) CFL Free Agency B) The CFL Draft C) Free Agent Camps, or signings D) Trades

CFL Teams know the importance of the CFL draft. They are pouring more and more time and money into national scouting every year. The Bombers tripled their spending in that department with the arrival of Kyle Walters' administration. The combines, the meetings, the scouting. I have never heard a GM say it wasn't an important talent stream like several have in regards to CFL Free Agency.

Today in the Ottawa Sun, a comment from their AGM Jeremy Snyder “You have to make finding Canadian talent a priority in this league,” Snyder said. “You can’t get those guys in free agency; you’re paying through the nose. You have to develop them. We’ve made it a priority”

And it goes without saying that if the draft is important, than the #1 pick has to kind of be important too.