Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jim Barker - HC/GM (2011-2016) 49 Wins/ 59 Losses (45%) with a Grey Cup and 3 Playoff misses

Scott Milanovich - HC (2012 - 2016) 43 Wins/ 47 Losses (48%) with a Grey Cup in 2 Playoff misses.

Yes, victims of circumstance -- but ultimately still not good enough

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Jim Barker - HC/GM (2011-2016) 49 Wins/ 59 Losses (45%) with a Grey Cup and 3 Playoff misses

Scott Milanovich - HC (2012 - 2016) 43 Wins/ 47 Losses (48%) with a Grey Cup in 2 Playoff misses.

Yes, victims of circumstance -- but ultimately still not good enough
    Should also be noted that the Argos were 7-29 in the 2 years before Barker came in. One bad 5-13 record in 2016 makes his overall tenure look a lot worse than it really is.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    When you consider the Grey Cup can and has been won by teams with a 50 per cent regular season record, 45 and 48 isn't that far off from greatness. Record does not tell the whole story. Do you consider 14-3-1 to be good enough? It wasn't good enough for the Stampeders to win it all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Should also be noted that the Argos were 7-29 in the 2 years before Barker came in. One bad 5-13 record in 2016 makes his overall tenure look a lot worse than it really is.
    I still wonder how Barker got 9 wins (and a road playoff win) as HC with that squad in 2010. He inherited a mess from Bart Andrus and was hired late in the off season. The team did regress to 6-12 in 2011as he was unable to solve the QB situation. I hated to see him go, but as it happens in pro sports, it was time for a change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Obie won one Grey Cup in eight years, suffered three horrendous losses in Eastern Finals at home, and got to one Grey Cup that could be considered a surprise (1987). Was he that much more successful than Milanovich, with his one GC in five years, one horrendous loss in an Eastern Final at home and getting to one Grey Cup that could be considered a surprise (2012)? I would rate them as fairly similar in terms of success as Argo coaches. Obie didn't have to deal with stadium or ownership issues, but did manage a better regular-season record and five first-place finishes (not that those mean much if you don't at least get to the Grey Cup).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It was time for both of them to go after last season.

Barker did find talent, but had trouble replacing departed personnel in certain areas (DB's in particular).

I can see similarities between O'Billovich's reign and Milanovich's. Both one Grey Cups early in their tenure and were not able to follow it up. I hope the same doesn't end up applying to Trestman.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    When you consider the Grey Cup can and has been won by teams with a 50 per cent regular season record, 45 and 48 isn't that far off from greatness. Record does not tell the whole story. Do you consider 14-3-1 to be good enough? It wasn't good enough for the Stampeders to win it all.
    One cannot base success on unlikely probabilities. For one it doesn't sell tickets and more often -- it doesn't often pan out -- even in the unusual CFL. The right move was made. It was time to move on, as the records indicate. It wasn't good enough, and take away the peaks and valleys, and it still wasn't good enough. The right moves were made, even if the method of change scared the hell out of us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Barker and Milanovich finished 9-20 in their last 29 games, and were mediocre at best during their tenure. I really don't understand how a 45 & 48 winning percentage is not that far from greatness. Greatness is the two Doug Flutie led seasons, how low the standards have fallen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I will always put the Willy trade on ownership. I think there was 0% chance Barker would have pulled that trigger without being directed from above to pay any price for any available QB in a desperate attempt to get the host city to the Grey Cup.

Having said that, we got the joy of 2017 after the disappointment of 2016, so I can't argue with how things worked out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'm sure he has as well. I just find it odd that Marrone (former oc) and Hackett (Jags current OC) aren't getting any credit. Hackett completely revamped the offense.
    Jacksonville Jaguars: Credit Scott Milanovich For Blake Bortles' Success

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Wonder if Scotty will be able to get the Jags to sign Drew Willy when he becomes a FA ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    it is not their won- loss record that concerned me the most about the Milanovich days. It was the boring football that we had to watch. Win or lose, I want to be entertained. This past season was a real breathe of fresh air in that regard. To win just made it all the more spectacular.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I will always put the Willy trade on ownership. I think there was 0% chance Barker would have pulled that trigger without being directed from above to pay any price for any available QB in a desperate attempt to get the host city to the Grey Cup.

Having said that, we got the joy of 2017 after the disappointment of 2016, so I can't argue with how things worked out.
    Not sure if you remember or not, but Barker stated at least a couple of times that it was Milanovich who asked him to inquire about Willy, and also stated that he (Barker) wouldn't have made the move if Milanovich didn't think so highly of Drew Willy. IIRC Milanovich even stated that he thought Drew was an "upper tier" QB.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2016/09/12/...eptember-12th/
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2016/09/12/...eptember-12th/
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    it is not their won- loss record that concerned me the most about the Milanovich days. It was the boring football that we had to watch. Win or lose, I want to be entertained. This past season was a real breathe of fresh air in that regard. To win just made it all the more spectacular.
    X2

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not saying Barker and Milanovich should have stayed, and I am certainly glad we have Popp and Trestman. My personal rule is, if you win a Grey Cup for the Argos you deserve nothing less than my respect (for whatever that's worth). If anything SM and JB don't deserve to be crapped on at the very least. I'd take them over any coaches involed with the Blue Bombers for the last 27 years or the TiCats the last 17.

I have just noticed on these boards there is a trend of crapping on coaches and players who have won us Grey Cups, Ricky Ray being the most glaring example. I just don't get it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well said, "Issues." Some posters here treat Milanovich like the second coming of Bart Andrus.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Well said, "Issues." Some posters here treat Milanovich like the second coming of Bart Andrus.
    X2
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Not sure if you remember or not, but Barker stated at least a couple of times that it was Milanovich who asked him to inquire about Willy, and also stated that he (Barker) wouldn't have made the move if Milanovich didn't think so highly of Drew Willy. IIRC Milanovich even stated that he thought Drew was an "upper tier" QB.
    So they publicly supported the move ownership told them to make. What a huge surprise!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    So they publicly supported the move ownership told them to make. What a huge surprise!
    I am not sure how it matters who first came up with the idea to trade for Drew Willy. It's no different than the team on the field really; and win or lose, the team wears it. Together.

It was an ill advised mistake made in desperate times. Even fan boards like this one (often) correctly predicted the outcome; and the outcome wasn't one to brag about, or even make excuses for.

It essentially was the lynch pin. BUT, that pin was pulled and we've moved onto better things. Thankfully.

I never expect even a good administration to be perfect, but things get magnified when a team in sport is losing. The magnification was up. It wasn't a good move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I am not sure how it matters who first came up with the idea to trade for Drew Willy. It's no different than the team on the field really; and win or lose, the team wears it. Together.

It was an ill advised mistake made in desperate times. Even fan boards like this one (often) correctly predicted the outcome; and the outcome wasn't one to brag about, or even make excuses for.

It essentially was the lynch pin. BUT, that pin was pulled and we've moved onto better things. Thankfully.

I never expect even a good administration to be perfect, but things get magnified when a team in sport is losing. The magnification was up. It wasn't a good move.

Yep. Total desperation.

As was cutting 4 receivers (3 starters) at the same time in mid-season - don't think I've ever seen such a move in my decades of watching pro football.

Might well have been moves suggested or dictated by an idiot/desperate ownership group at the time. Barker & Millanovich both could have shown some guts and stood up and said NO to both those clown-act moves if they wanted no part of them. IF they were involved in the thought process there = dumb-@$$, desperate - and deserved to be punted out of town. And i sort of like the Argo results after they were punted. ;o)

BTW - anybody catch that Bills vs. Jags (where Scott is now QB coach) play-off game yesterday? Appparently Scott is getting some kudos for the improved play of Jags QB Brian Bortles - who was just brutal in a good part of that game - terrible passing, but he made a couple of nice runs to help get the win in a low scoring, pi$$-poor offensive display of a game (good defences though). I'd suggest if Scott had lots of guts he might whisper to the Jags higher-ups that there are about 5 or 6 CFL QBs who could be signed and who are about 10x better than that stiff Bortles - who is not even in the same area code as Ricky Ray in terms of QB skills. ;o)
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep. Total desperation.

As was cutting 4 receivers (3 starters) at the same time in mid-season - don't think I've ever seen such a move in my decades of watching pro football.

Might well have been moves suggested or dictated by an idiot/desperate ownership group at the time. Barker & Millanovich both could have shown some guts and stood up and said NO to both those clown-act moves if they wanted no part of them. IF they were involved in the thought process there = dumb-@$$, desperate - and deserved to be punted out of town. And i sort of like the Argo results after they were punted. ;o)
    The cutting of the four receivers was all about work ethic - or lack thereof. Interesting that only one of those receivers is still employed in the CFL.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force