Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Ticats send QB Collaros to Roughriders

https://www.tsn.ca/ticats-send-qb-co...iders-1.957824

A desperation move by Chris Jones if there ever was one.

Collaros could have been had likely if the Ticats cut him before his February Bonus was due - yet they gave up the 10th pick in the draft.

Don't get me wrong - even the Argos have done stupider things (#1 Pick for Drew Willy!)

I presume, the pecking order in Riderville to be: Collaros, Bridge, and Adams.

Does Glenn get shipped to the Als to compete with Durant or is he an FA?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jones is desperate after already losing Franklin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    A good trade for the Riders. The only negative I see, if he is actually signed, is the amount of scrutiny Collaros will be under. When things weren't going well last year, he was quite irritated with reporters and that could happen fast in Saskatchewan but I do think he'll rebound and be excellent there. He'll become legendary in that province.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:

Level
    Does seem a little desperate for Sask as Ham would have cut him before the bonus. And Franklin may well be a FA in a month.
    Wonder if this irks Bridge? Good for the Argos as it's one less place for Franklin to consider.
    Hamilton must have contracts ready for Massoli and Manzeil.

Good for Zach as he deserved at least one start under Jones and the better protection etc!

BUT there could be more trades shaking out as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    A good trade for the Riders. The only negative I see, if he is actually signed, is the amount of scrutiny Collaros will be under. When things weren't going well last year, he was quite irritated with reporters and that could happen fast in Saskatchewan but I do think he'll rebound and be excellent there. He'll become legendary in that province.
    Zach like a lot of other players were sick of Austin. Also others around the league have noted how little QB protection was incorporated in his Austin's offence.
    It was one of the first things Jones changed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can't see how they can keep him if he doesn't re-structure his deal. Bridge obviously received a raise and that would mean they would likely have over 700k allocated to the first 2 QB's. David Naylor tweeted that if he doesn't agree to re-structure, he still may get released before his Feb 1 bonus is due. Kevin Glenn has once again become an insurance policy.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    Zach like a lot of other players were sick of Austin. Also others around the league have noted how little QB protection was incorporated in his Austin's offence.
    It was one of the first things Jones changed.

I keep hearing that, but I'm not sure how this new & improved "protection" thing was instituted under June Jones? Other than Masoli being a more mobile QB than Collaros (who has some decent mobility himself)? Not liked they made big changes in personnel on their O-line from what i saw? And they still ran standard CFL 5 pack look - with not much ground game, and I don't recall seeing a little used fullback for extra protection in their offence (they used Prime a bit there - maybe he played more after Jones came in? - not that i saw); plus they traded away supposed great blocking back Gable ? So maybe it was Jones himself or another coach making tweaks to the O-line (like the Argos O-line improved with Himebauch coming in) - not sure what those tweaks could be though ?

More like Jones installed his version of a run & shoot passing game, with receiver reads/adjustments on the fly, and with more deep passes to Banks - and the whole offence, and particulalry Masoli, took well to it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    A little surprised that Zach was traded, when there was zero chance the Ticats would've paid his bonus, but I they did need a #1 QB, and it looks as though Riders brass isn't completely sold on Bridge. It'll be interesting to see if Zach restructures, and if Franklin sticks around here. I could see Kevin Glenn on the move, to Edmonton maybe, who needs a backup to Reilly, and it would be Glenn's last trip on the Amazon Race Canada.

Could Franklin and Collaros be swapped for each other ?
    Last edited by R.J; 01-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I keep hearing that, but I'm not sure how this new & improved "protection" thing was instituted under June Jones? Other than Masoli being a more mobile QB than Collaros (who has some decent mobility himself)? Not liked they made big changes in personnel on their O-line from what i saw? And they still ran standard CFL 5 pack look - with not much ground game, and I don't recall seeing a little used fullback for extra protection in their offence (they used Prime a bit there - maybe he played more after Jones came in? - not that i saw); plus they traded away supposed great blocking back Gable ? So maybe it was Jones himself or another coach making tweaks to the O-line (like the Argos O-line improved with Himebauch coming in) - not sure what those tweaks could be though ?

More like Jones installed his version of a run & shoot passing game, with receiver reads/adjustments on the fly, and with more deep passes to Banks - and the whole offence, and particulalry Masoli, took well to it.
    If I find the article I'll post it. When Ptaszek left Hamilton to go out west he discussed learning from both Austin and Jones. Specific to Jones he talked about how much planning went into protecting the QB. And like you said blocking schemes, quick outlets, check downs, receiver reads etc. Reading between the lines it sounded like Austin did not have a lot if that incorporated.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    If I find the article I'll post it. When Ptaszek left Hamilton to go out west he discussed learning from both Austin and Jones. Specific to Jones he talked about how much planning went into protecting the QB. And like you said blocking schemes, quick outlets, check downs, receiver reads etc. Reading between the lines it sounded like Austin did not have a lot if that incorporated.
    This is the article that Antwon speaks of.

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/09/we...ts-job-at-ubc/

From reading further into the matter, the roster bonus was due Feb 1st. More than likely Sask. could have kept the pick and still signed Collaros at fair market value.

Montreal was likely to be a contender to sign him, but nobody else in the East. BC might have made him an offer as well...

Foolish on the Riders Part overall. But from an Argos point of view, could this push Franklin to sign in Toronto - other than Montreal - I can't see a clear cut "walk on" spot to becoming a starting QB.

Got to love Kavis Reed - he inherits Durant with a pick he traded to Sask - which was then used to acquire Collaros.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Over to riderfans.com... "5,729 viewing" : )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I keep hearing that, but I'm not sure how this new & improved "protection" thing was instituted under June Jones? Other than Masoli being a more mobile QB than Collaros (who has some decent mobility himself)? Not liked they made big changes in personnel on their O-line from what i saw?
    You must have missed it but both tackle positions changed from the first half of the season to the second half -- Tony Washington and Riker Matthews were a huge upgrade over what they had earlier in the year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Over to riderfans.com... "5,729 viewing" : )
    Not surprising, if Collaros regains form, the Riders could have just landed one of the best QB's in the CFL. In saying that, it'd be buzzing if they acquired Drew Tate, easily the largest CFL fan forum and fan base.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This trade was obviously set up by Commisioner Ambrosie to help prop up the Saskatchewan franchise! 😃

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    This is definitely a surprise move.
    Always thought how Zach would come back to the Argos, to try to resurrect his career.
    Also, on the other side as it appeared how Bridge would be the new starter for the Riders.
    Who knows maybe we are a lot closer to signing Franklin?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Good trade for Saskatchewan, with the change in scenery Collaros will drastically upgrades their QB situation and allow more patience with Bridge’s development.
    Riders a definite contender in 2018.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    You must have missed it but both tackle positions changed from the first half of the season to the second half -- Tony Washington and Riker Matthews were a huge upgrade over what they had earlier in the year.

Yeah - you're right and that slipped my mind; maybe those guys were "huge" upgrades; but i seem to recall that Matthews guy getting burned some and Washington is a journeyman type who has been let go by other CFL teams. I also now seem to recall them going with an extra O-lineman (NI back-up Rice) in some sets? So better talent plus different blocking schemes maybe? Still say it was likely much more about Masoli and the June Jones different passing offence.

I thought Masoli was fantastic a lot of the time last season (just like in his record consecutive completion game the year before (vs. the Esks?)); the guy just finds a way to get passes off, even when in trouble, and is pretty accurate; plus very mobile. A very under-rated CFL QB now IMO. Wonder if he gets thrown under the bus there if they sign Johnny Superstar and just hand him the starting job without real TC competition (that wouldn't surprise me in the least) ? OR - i still think there is the possibility that they try to fleece that dullard Mavis in trade for the rights to Manziel ? - Als are desperate for a QB; Hamilton should not be with Masoli. But maybe the idea is that Manziel and all the hype would sell lots of tickets? - again, maybe more need in Montreal there ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah - you're right and that slipped my mind; maybe those guys were "huge" upgrades; but i seem to recall that Matthews guy getting burned some and Washington is a journeyman type who has been let go by other CFL teams. I also now seem to recall them going with an extra O-lineman (NI back-up Rice) in some sets? So better talent plus different blocking schemes maybe? Still say it was likely much more about Masoli and the June Jones different passing offence.

I thought Masoli was fantastic a lot of the time last season (just like in his record consecutive completion game the year before (vs. the Esks?)); the guy just finds a way to get passes off, even when in trouble, and is pretty accurate; plus very mobile. A very under-rated CFL QB now IMO. Wonder if he gets thrown under the bus there if they sign Johnny Superstar and just hand him the starting job without real TC competition (that wouldn't surprise me in the least) ? OR - i still think there is the possibility that they try to fleece that dullard Mavis in trade for the rights to Manziel ? - Als are desperate for a QB; Hamilton should not be with Masoli. But maybe the idea is that Manziel and all the hype would sell lots of tickets? - again, maybe more need in Montreal there ?
    I agree OV, Masoli is underrated.
    Mobile with a pretty decent arm, makes the odd bad play and simply shrugs it off and keeps battling.
    Should continue to improve with experience and June Jones coaching him.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Good trade for Saskatchewan, with the change in scenery Collaros will drastically upgrades their QB situation and allow more patience with Bridge’s development.
    Riders a definite contender in 2018.
    Yeah - Collaros regaining his old CFL form (do-able IMO) would be huge for the Riders. With Bridge & Adams as 2 promising young guns in the fold as well.

Still find it amusing that some of the CFL $M$ obsessed Riderfans. types (who love throwing around totally un-substantiated CFL salary figures like they are gospel) are not saying too much about Collaros - his salary and the huge bonus that he is due. The defenders of the faith there will be certain that their football gawd Ego-Jones will get Collaros to take a big hair-cut and play for next to free - while they continue to be just positive that Jones just had to get rid of over-priced Dressler & Chick; that and moaning about no talent Canadian scrub players making so much coin in the CFL due to "ratio problems"/ CFL economics. Priceless ! ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes, Washington has bounced around the league. So have lots of guys who played well in multiple locations -- he certainly has played well for more than one team. All OTs get burned on occasion, too -- even all-stars. The guy who does play by play for the Ticats and attends their practices regularly is a lot less blasé than you are about the contributions those two guys made. Maybe he's a GOB?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7