Thread: 2018 CFL draft

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So what is Popp's need this year? I didn't think much of his picks last year, but he didn't have a #1 thanks to the infamous Willy trade. To me it looks like a good O Line year, but there a few good WR's and then a few guys like Oneyka who could become a great Safety in the CFL. Also Laurent at DT.

Picking at #9 IMO Popp will have to decide between an O Lineman or a WR to get one of the better players in the draft. If he takes a Lineman all the good WR's will be gone by #18 and vica versa.

But there has always been some head shakers taken in the CFL draft and History shows with good reason. That never seems to change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    So what is Popp's need this year? I didn't think much of his picks last year, but he didn't have a #1 thanks to the infamous Willy trade. To me it looks like a good O Line year, but there a few good WR's and then a few guys like Oneyka who could become a great Safety in the CFL. Also Laurent at DT.

Picking at #9 IMO Popp will have to decide between an O Lineman or a WR to get one of the better players in the draft. If he takes a Lineman all the good WR's will be gone by #18 and vica versa.

But there has always been some head shakers taken in the CFL draft and History shows with good reason. That never seems to change.

Popp had a history of loading up on NI O-linemen with the Als - had guys in the pipeline when they were starting 5 NIs there; and this is IMO a very deep O-line crop coming up; not sure if the pencilled-in plan is to go with 4 or just 3 NI O-line starters, but might be a good draft year to draft a top guard prospect and see if the guy can contribute (sooner than later); last year's top pick - Mason Woods - did not pan out (except for trade value), so maybe try again with the top pick ? And the O-line crop is maybe deep enough that they could wait till the 2nd round, and maybe use the top pick on another position (not sure where the real need is there either? - a future safety maybe (i think Gabriel could play cover OLB more and he is a good tackler/blitzer to have closer to the line), so Onyeka (Laurier) or Bennett (GGs) might be real good prospects there

As for receiver - a few good prospects on the board; but I really don't see any Argo need there with Williams, Ralph, Noel or Brian Jones still around - one of them could be the little used wide-side WR if need be or just provide good ole depth, and it might be Coombs who is the only starter at slotback ?

Agree with your last sentence for sure - CFL draft = always good for head shaking or a real laugh. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post

it's way too early to judge the 2017 draft, but we got three guys who played regularly on special teams and look like they will be able to contribute for years, plus a guy (Woods) who we were able to use to acquire a potential franchise QB. If Evan Foster ends up panning out, we might have done pretty well for a draft without a first-rounder.

As for this year, I hope we get at least a couple of o-linemen as well as a DT. WR would be nice but we have decent depth there already in Williams, Noel, Ralph and Jones.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    it's way too early to judge the 2017 draft, but we got three guys who played regularly on special teams and look like they will be able to contribute for years, plus a guy (Woods) who we were able to use to acquire a potential franchise QB. If Evan Foster ends up panning out, we might have done pretty well for a draft without a first-rounder.

As for this year, I hope we get at least a couple of o-linemen as well as a DT. WR would be nice but we have decent depth there already in Williams, Noel, Ralph and Jones.
    I agree that it is too early to assess the Argos' 2017 draft. Many successful first year draftees in the past in the CFL spent a year developing on the PR or playing a very restricted role. Edmonton thought enough of Woods to not only trade away the rights for a potential franchise QB but to throw in a third round draft choice. Oneyka had 14 ST tackles, the same number as former Argo and fourth year Bomber Thomas Miles, while Robert Woodson was good enough in his first year to get some game action and make 8 DT and 7 ST, thereby showing promise for the future. It's not impossible that Foster and Justin Herdman could pan out in the long run also.

Boatman
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

how was the 2016 draft ............

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    how was the 2016 draft ............
    Still too early IMO, but looks pretty good from this narrow vantage point. Our first seven picks have all dressed for games, three dressed for this year's Grey Cup. Cross plays regularly on offence, Noel is a special teams beast, Kolankowski and Campbell have both contributed as o-line backups/tight ends, Jones and Sackey have potential that may or may not come to fruition, Newton seems to be the most marginal prospect but he has seen action on special teams.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7